giving out serial numbers - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 10th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

giving out serial numbers

If I am posting a guitar online, and someone is interested and asks for the serial numbers, is there a reason I should not give them out? I always see them blacked out in ebay adds. Thanks for all help!

chef0069 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Friend of Leo's

I always wondered why some people black them out. If you have the original sales receipt for the guitar in question, that includes the serial number, I can't see how you'd have a problem. If you are selling a used guitar without any proof that it's yours, I guess there could be a problem if some loser wanted to claim that the guitar was his and you had stolen it.
Joe M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

i don't see a problem with giving out serial numbers. it's not like it's your SSN or anything. i think most potential buyers just want to verify the number with the guitar manufacturer so they can be sure the ad or auction is being honest with regards to the item description.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 10th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

This can work several ways from what I'm thinking. 1) The potential buyer just wants to verify and see when and where the guitar was made. 2) The buyer is a fraud, and wants to steal that serial number to put on a fake. 3) Might try to make a claim it's a stolen guitar. 4) Refusing to give out the serial number tells the "buyer beware" as it could be stolen.

As for 3, unless he has documented proof (police reports, etc) that the guitar was reported stolen he doesn't stand a chance.

Old February 10th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

My buddy's bass got stolen and he found out where it was.

He had the police meet him at the gig where it was, and just on the strength of him having the serial number written down in his wallet, the Cop walked up on stage and took the bass right off the guy who had it and handed it to my buddy.
TC6969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I always thought it was the crooks who steal those numbers, put them on fake guitars and try to sell them as the real thing. After all, you can look up those serial numbers correct?

Old February 10th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Anyone that wants to get serial numbers for fakes can get thousands of them off ebay or just make them up. It is a long, long, chance someone I guess could claim they have the number and the item is stolen (some kind of ripoff), but I have never heard of that happening. When buying, I often want the serial number to verify year and location of manufacture.
SamClemons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC6969 View Post

He had the police meet him at the gig where it was, and just on the strength of him having the serial number written down in his wallet, the Cop walked up on stage and took the bass right off the guy who had it and handed it to my buddy.
Holy, that sounds like a fairytale... in my experience cops cant really be bothered to help anyone out. glad to hear it work out so nicely.

Old February 11th, 2013, 06:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC6969 View Post

GOOD! Bloody thieves!
PrincessSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote