two amplifiers into one speaker cabinet... - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 8th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

two amplifiers into one speaker cabinet...

Okay....

generally, both amps would not be being played through at the same time, BUT, they would both be on...

Could you be wired to the same speaker cabinet from two different amps without causing harm to the amplifiers or speakers?

Old February 8th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I wonder if you could just do it with an A-B box?? But the amp wants a load on it, so it's probably not something that's easy to do
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

can't use AB box for this application... has to be mechanically wired and not switched.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 8th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

You could use on of these: http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-ts.htm
Suproman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

repeat... this has to be hard wired NO SWITCHERS

sorry... it won't work in this application.

Old February 8th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I don't think it's a good idea without having a switch that takes one amp off the speaker and onto a dummy load while switching the other head onto the speakers.

The OTs of your two heads will be connected to each other and tha'ts probably bad

There are stereo amps that send 2 power amp outputs to each speaker inside the same cab though.. ..
waparker4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Do you already have the cab in question? Could you just get a stereo 2x12/2x10/4x12 etc. and connect one head to each 'speaker' in the cab?

Old February 8th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

2X12 cab, each amp uses just one speaker, doh, marshman beat me to it...
teleamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

okay, I'll provide more information---> I need a generally idiot proof way to provide sound reinforcement in a meeting room.

the room has a fairly complex sound system (requiring a sound man) but, generally, the room is for much more 'general meeting' type activities. The room has a nice projector, connected to it is an Apple TV... a really nice feature of the apple tv is that you can 'beam' your video and audio to it without a a cable!

It is fantastic. You can use a computer or an iphone or ipad to 'beam' your screen to the projector (this room seats 400 people)....

The apple tv has optical audio out and I'd like to hook it to the speaker system for every day use.. use a simple but statically set amplifier with optical in and connect to the speakers that are used by the 'fancier' sound system for big meetings.

I'd like to NOT have to use a switcher as it is a point of failure for users and I want to not have people having trouble needlessly... so, if they are both statically and mechanically connected to the speakers... the systems will work like a champ.

My fallbacks are: 1) make sure the main system is off and wire them together with instructions to NOT run both at the same time 2) switcher (ugh) 3) separate system...

My goal is that the volume be managed by the device providing the input and leave it on all the time.

Old February 8th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

delete

Old February 8th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Not exactly an A/B so possibly this would work.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.ph...rdcdID=FG00230

or this

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt.htm
"Blues is a natural fact, is something that a fellow lives. If you don't live it you don't have it. Young people have forgotten to cry the blues. Now they talk and get lawyers and things. " - Big Bill Broonzy
telleutelleme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

No matter how you do it, the two amps MUST be electronically isolated from each other at all times.
Frodebro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I do this! 2 amp heads into 1 cabinet. I have a Radial Headbone switcher. Works great. I run a 1964 Bandmaster and a 18W TMB Ceriatone, Marshall type amp into a Marshall 1960A JCM900 cab. Sounds great. Here is my setup on the right in this photo:

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

thanks guys.

Old February 9th, 2013, 02:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
okay, I'll provide more information---> I need a generally idiot proof way to provide sound reinforcement in a meeting room.

the room has a fairly complex sound system (requiring a sound man) but, generally, the room is for much more 'general meeting' type activities. The room has a nice projector, connected to it is an Apple TV... a really nice feature of the apple tv is that you can 'beam' your video and audio to it without a a cable!

It is fantastic. You can use a computer or an iphone or ipad to 'beam' your screen to the projector (this room seats 400 people)....

The apple tv has optical audio out and I'd like to hook it to the speaker system for every day use.. use a simple but statically set amplifier with optical in and connect to the speakers that are used by the 'fancier' sound system for big meetings.

I'd like to NOT have to use a switcher as it is a point of failure for users and I want to not have people having trouble needlessly... so, if they are both statically and mechanically connected to the speakers... the systems will work like a champ.

My fallbacks are: 1) make sure the main system is off and wire them together with instructions to NOT run both at the same time 2) switcher (ugh) 3) separate system...

My goal is that the volume be managed by the device providing the input and leave it on all the time.
What does the sound system "for big meetings" use as a head unit?
Is there anyway to route the Apple TV to the the same input for that system?
Originality is just undetected Plagiarism!
cowboytwang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2013, 06:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Wouldn't the "sound man" know the answer?

If not, he might be overpaid

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Randy

I am not sure all these tube amp concerns are applicable to solid state amp systems. I doubt any modern presentation sound equipment is tube based and that is where all the concerns for protecting the output tranny eminate.
I would take the question to a mobile audio specialty shop. They deal with solid state powered audio gear daily.
Rob

Old February 9th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb7 View Post
I do this! 2 amp heads into 1 cabinet. I have a Radial Headbone switcher. Works great. I run a 1964 Bandmaster and a 18W TMB Ceriatone, Marshall type amp into a Marshall 1960A JCM900 cab. Sounds great. Here is my setup on the right in this photo:

I used the Headbone switcher with a Ceritone OTS and DRRI, both into a 12" Tone Tubby. Worked great.