Would you hire somebody who's a much better player than you are? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 8th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Would you hire somebody who's a much better player than you are?

Say you are the lead player, for that matter the only guitar player in your band, and it's always been that way in this particular band...

If you had a gig that one of your bandmembers couldn't make, and you had the opportunity to hire a sub player that would slay the gig, but buried you on guitar, would you do it?

In my opinion, it's a win/win. The band will sound great, the show will be great, and I'll get a night's worth of free lessons.

We usually don't have second guitarist, it's just me. This guy will be subbing in place of our keys player, who can't make the gig.

Some folks seem to think I risk making myself look bad to my regular audience. That it's a bad idea. I think that's silly, and can't really see a down side to having an ace that will absolutely smoke the gig, and be a ton of fun to play with. In my eyes, anything that makes the band better on the whole, is a good thing.

Thoughts?

Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I think you're spot on, and I would do the same. I try not to hold it against others if I am not as good as them, I just tell myself that I've got to keep on practicing. The only reason I would not hire someone is if they're difficult to work with. I'd much rather work with someone who was responsible, enthusiastic, reliable, and maybe not as good as opposed to someone who's an unbelievable player but can't be relied upon.

Old February 8th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

absolutely! I agree JD that it's a win win for all. I took on a second guitarist in my last band and he quickly overtook me. in the beginning I was better only because of band experience.....he had none. BUT he had music lessons all thru school and understood music better than me....(plug for learning piano!) anyway he passed me after a couple of years and I learned a LOT! was I jealous? yes but not to my own detriment but to my benefit! go for it!

cheers ce24
ce24 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 8th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I would go for it! I love playing guitar with anyone. If I have a chance to possibly learn something from another, I want to take advantage of it. The only time there is one-upmanship is when you engage in cutting on stage and it reveals weaknesses, but if you simply try to make everything complimentary to the music, then it sounds great and everyone benefits.
Jack S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Here is my motto:

I want everyone in my band to be as good or better than me. Hopefully better! That comes across sounding full of myself but I think you all understand what I am saying.
leatherbound is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Everyone in my band is way better than me.

Old February 8th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

And that's how you know Jake's a professional.
stnmtthw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

In the right situation. Heck yes!

Knowing your limitations is every bit as important as being good.

Now in my current bands being too good may have a reverse effect on the quality of the music. I'm in a lo-fi three man /one man band situation and a rock-ish band that my wife (our bass) player is striving to get as close to Hasil Adkins as possible.
purpletele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I would do it for sure. I did a similar thing regarding singing. I am the lead singer/guitar player in this one band, and the female singer (mostly harmony, lead on a handful of songs) in our band couldn't make it. I easily could have done the gig without her, but I knew a girl from a country band I had gigged with and thought it would be fun to gig it with her in a rock band format. She was way better than our normal female singer and better than me too. Anyway, it went over real well...both the band and the audience enjoyed having her.
Big John Studd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Conversely, if anyone is looking for a player to join your band who will definitely not steal the spotlight or teach you anything remotely useful pm me.

Old February 8th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakedog View Post
Say you are the lead player, for that matter the only guitar player in your band, and it's always been that way in this particular band...

If you had a gig that one of your bandmembers couldn't make, and you had the opportunity to hire a sub player that would slay the gig, but buried you on guitar, would you do it?

In my opinion, it's a win/win. The band will sound great, the show will be great, and I'll get a night's worth of free lessons.

We usually don't have second guitarist, it's just me. This guy will be subbing in place of our keys player, who can't make the gig.

Some folks seem to think I risk making myself look bad to my regular audience. That it's a bad idea. I think that's silly, and can't really see a down side to having an ace that will absolutely smoke the gig, and be a ton of fun to play with. In my eyes, anything that makes the band better on the whole, is a good thing.

Thoughts?
I was in the same situation last year. I sing half the songs and played lead on all. I'm pretty good on lead but not super. We had a chance to pick up a steel player who also plays lead guitar on some songs. He's way better than I am. I wasn't sure how I would like it, but its great having him with us. I can concentrate more on my vocals. There are some songs that I will still take the lead, but on most he takes it on steel or guitar. If I feel like taking a lead after him I can, and if I don't, I don't. Not to mention how it fills out our sound in general. As you said, if it makes the band better, it's a good thing!

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI
EricS76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Hire him.
groom him to play all the songs..
Quit the band and manage them...

Then dissapear to Aruba with a briefcase of cash!
rideit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Have done this - hire a fill-in guitar player - several times. i always go for someone better than me.

Old February 8th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Agreed! Playing with someone better is always a great learning experience.

Old February 8th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

At this point I'd hire him. I'm either at or almost at the point where I could actually learn from another guitarist where before I'd just stand and stare

Carl

Old February 8th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Bring him on....you never know where your opportunities lie. Plus, you really wouldn't want to bring in a guitar player who wasn't as good as you are, he might make you look bad!

www.soundcloud.com/ajd1960
adeiderich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

No way dude ! I am the king of the fender telecaster guitar, no kiddin.....

Old February 8th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Absolutely yes...and if he/she digs the music and wants to play some more with you, even better. The only caveat would be personality. As long as it's a good match, it will work, at least for a while.

Old February 8th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

careful ,Jakedog.You might be the next Pete Best.Remember him, .Ringo filled in a few times,the rest is history
LeftyAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Yes, if he has the right attitude. I have worked with some who were better and knew it. Made for a miserable gig. I have also worked with some who thought they were better but were not. Also a miserable gig.