Super Bowl 48 Half time show-Bon Jovi? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 8th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Super Bowl 48 Half time show-Bon Jovi?

There seems to be a rumor that Bon Jovi has been approached to do the half time show. Super Bowl 48 will be at The Meadowlands so it could be true since they are from that area. My advice for them if this is true,please set the stage in the end zone not mid field like the other bands do. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers played from the end zone and had the best sound of any half time show.

Old February 8th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not a fan, but he would be a good choice.

Skullysounds
Skully is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

That seems like a reasonable choice. Go ahead and put me down for a buck that he plays "Wanted Dead Or Alive".
Big John Studd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I think that Bon Jovi would provide fine entertainment for a Super Bowl audience, but if you have not watched a clip of him actually singing in a while, look some recent clips up on YouTube. Like many aging male vocalists of his style, he's totally lost his range. He can no longer sing many of their hits in the original key, and some of them seem to have been dropped down drastically. I'm not slamming Jon Bon Jovi at all... I'm just saying that he himself may not want to put himself out there like that.

There's a video of Bon Jovi playing Dead or Alive with Phil X sitting in for Richie Sambora while he was in rehab. Jon did the thing that many lead vocalists do when they can't hit the high notes live... he turns the mic out toward the audience on those parts. And although Phil is playing the part of Richie, he actually sang the lead melody line for much of the chorus.

Again, I'm not trying to drag down Bon Jovi. I think they'd do well in that sort of spotlight. I just wonder if Jon would care to set himself up for the scrutiny.

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

From what I have read, there might not even be a halftime show. Remember, the SB next year is in an open-air stadium, in New Jersey, in the middle of winter. It was 25 degrees at kickoff in New Jersey the night of the game. Its already been said that a show like the other night wouldve been imposible to pull off in such conditions. You ever try to play guitar outside in 25 degree weather? What if it snows or sleets? The people in charge are freaking out. Yet another reason why the SB is always held in warm climates or enclosed stadiums since 1967. Bon Jovi- not gonna happen.
Tele Bee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Don't care for BJ but the soccer moms will love it.

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If the last two halftime shows have been any indication, I'd say either not having one at all, or bring out a good college marching band, would be the way to go.

I liked Sir Paul, Prince, and the Stones were pretty good I guess. Tom Petty was good. Springsteen and the Who sucked, in my opinion, and these idiotic parades of dancers and rappers is not my thing at all.

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Yeah bring out a marching band to insure NOBODY will enjoy it? Lol, wouldn't be much worse than Bon Jovi I guess

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

He would be the perfect choice because of the location. I not a huge fan, but he does have the ocassional catchy song. I doubt that it will ever happen though. It seems like shows these days are directed to a more urban audience. I doubt that will change anytime soon.
zooyuka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong-Note Rod View Post
If the last two halftime shows have been any indication, I'd say either not having one at all, or bring out a good college marching band, would be the way to go.
I would be hard-pressed to name one of Beyonce's tunes, but I thought she did a good job with the halftime show. It was visually exciting and very well-choreographed on every level. By comparison, Madonna's was an unfocused mess.

Quote:
I liked Sir Paul, Prince, and the Stones were pretty good I guess. Tom Petty was good. Springsteen and the Who sucked, in my opinion.
I thought Petty was the worst. I'm a big fan of his music, but a dynamic performer, he is not. Snoozers!

Prince was the best by far, and I say that as a fair weather fan who hasn't really liked anything he's done since "Sign O' the Times." With rain falling down, he seized the moment and put on a show that was way more than just the sum of its choreographed bits.

Skullysounds
Skully is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Just because YOU dont like a marching band doesnt mean no one else will. I think a great marching band is an awesome thing to behold.

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

That's great, the halftime show can appeal to like 5 people that still love listening to marching bands

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'd settle for just having a standard 12 minute half versus the 31 minute superbowl half. It really messes with the continuity of the game. It makes no sense to play by a certain rule all season and then throw it out the window for the biggest game of the year.

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Hell, dont have anybody do the halftime show, just run commercials.

Old February 8th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I could actually see them getting away with just running commercials, or if conditions are really that bad beaming in a live performance from a nearby venue

Old February 8th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

the real question is...why are they playing in an arena that could have potential cold weather and or rain/snow to affect the game...its not a dome

Old February 8th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Pittiful View Post
the real question is...why are they playing in an arena that could have potential cold weather and or rain/snow to affect the game...its not a dome
I hope snow does affect the game. It could be a comical disaster. What if they have weather like the are about to have in the northeast for the game?

Old February 8th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Well if Bon Jovi is the halftime performer, then I need to order Animal Planet by next year so I can tune to the Puppy Bowl instead. Yuck
waparker4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Pittiful View Post
because its football.

I dont see what the big deal is football is played in the snow all the time and the halftime will be prerecorded. They cant lip sync in the cold for 20 minutes? bon jovi isnt that precious hes form jersey. south jersey but still jersey.

confucius said: man who want pretty nurse, must be patient.
surfoverb is online now   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I've hoped for years they'd play the SB in an open air northern stadium. It's football for cryin' out loud! Maybe they'll play one at Lambeau someday, that would be amazing.

As for the half time show, easy. Put it in a nearby arena. With modern jumbotron tech, everybody in the stadium can still enjoy it, and more of it, without the setup and tear down time. Folks at home, same thing. Also, in an arena setting, maybe we won't have to be subjected to the silliness that is lip synching and canned music. Beam it in Scotty! Not to mention, promoters could effectively get a massive boost in revenue from selling tix to the SB, AND a Bon Jovi concert...

An outdoor northern SB, and a beamed in totally live indoor half-time show? Could be the perfect game, providing my Packers get to play in it...
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote