Good Customer Service Story: AT&T - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 5th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Good Customer Service Story: AT&T

Ok. First a couple of things...

I have a bit of a minor pet peeve with people who want to rant about poor service. Not that they don't have a right to express their opinions, but it seems that more people will take the time to rant about poor service, but rarely rave about good service. Entitlement mentality.

And, no, I'm in no way associated with AT&T.

So a few weeks ago my wife and I went on a cruise of the Western Caribbean. We have 4 electronic devices with some sort of "G" coverage and four more with WIFI. Yeah. First world problems indeed. All of our Data Plans for the entire family are on my AT&T account. Based on prior research, I knew that the data roaming and WIFI charges on the ship were astronomical. WIFI alone was about a dollar a minute. Before departing on the trip I reminded my wife to turn off data roaming and put the relevant devices on "Airplane Mode".

Apparently she missed one.

Today, a representative from AT&T called my cell to let me know that there is a huge Credit Balance on my account. One of the devices had been racking up Data roaming charges.

It had rung up $1,287 in charges.

They were calling to let me know that they had noticed the high bill caused by this device not having an appropriate data plan. Instead of billing me for this, they instead charged me $30 for a Data Plan to retroactively cover the roaming. Then they issued a Credit for the remaining $1,257 to offset the remaining Data Roaming charge.

Iím sure my wife will now find a way to spend that money we saved.

Brother Rob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Say, do you happen to know Ed McMahon? Your experience with AT&T would put you right there with one of the winners of Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes. My wife has spent many, many hours talking with the fine people at AT&T. When she gave up and turned them over to me to deal with, after wasting a considerable amount of time with them, I asked what it would cost for me to just buy out of my various bundle contracts with them? Bear in mind we were only three months in, and already had spent realistically 10/15 hours on the phone straightening out overcharges.

When they gave me a figure, I asked they email me the charges along with a promise in writing not to place any additional charges on my credit card, they did so and I paid them the full amount. Though it was several hundred dollars to buy out, I feel it was money well spent.

Personally I would build a fire in my backyard and communicate with smoke signals before I would do business with AT&T again. The perfunctory "but that's just me" I suppose should be applied.

Old February 5th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto'sDad View Post
Personally I would build a fire in my backyard and communicate with smoke signals before I would do business with AT&T again.
Be careful what you wish for. If AT&T had their way, that's the only option you'd have besides them.

When I look back on my experiences with AT&T since SW Bell bought them out, I'm inclined to agree with you. AT&T suck.

Glad the original poster didn't have to pay the $1287 in roaming charges.

I still hate AT&T.
JayFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 5th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Everyone I know hates AT&T, maybe it's just something in the Okie/California demographic. All the people I know are plotting somehow to switch to something else. I quit 'em over 5 yeas ago, I'll go back to snail mail to say hello. I'll chisel out my messages on discarded building blocks (ones that haven't been fitted with acoustic electric guitar pickups) and ship 'em Fedex. (I'll insure them and make a fortune) I'll string bubble gum out on a skate board with holiday greetings on them, and hire one of the skateboarders that hang at WalMart to to skate 'em there. (solving two problems at once) Multitasking.

Old February 5th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I've had nothing but good cell coverage from AT&T and the few times I've dealt w/ customer service I have no complaints.

Old February 5th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Friend of Leo's

Nothing but great service for me with AT&T after many years with them. If I ever had any problems, their customer relation people have been very concerned and have resolved those problems. Their Uverse program is fantastic. And no, I don't work for them.
Joe M is online now   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Indisputedly, the most incompetent, laughable (in the rear-view mirror), pathetic, in-a-class-of-sorry all by itself, excuse for customer service, I have ever been astounded by in all my life, has been that garbage spewed forth by AT&T.

- Sadie Thompson
Westerly Sunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

+1 all the anti AT&T rants and yes Brother Rob, if I was you, I would go out and buy a lottery ticket! lol

A few years ago we had a land line and DSL with them and we decided we would do the bundle package with the local cable company. Once we were hooked up with the cable company I called AT&T and told them that at the end of the month, when our contract was up, I would like to cancel the service.

I didnt think anything about it and and when we got our final bill it had a $200 contract cancellation fee. I called them and went up the chain of command but they refused to drop the fee. Why anyone would believe that anyone would cancel a contract with that kind of a fee, a few days before it was up, is beyond me. Its a pretty good racket they got going on! It ended up going to collection and I finally did pay it a couple years later because we were in the market for a house and I had to clean up my credit report.

So if you look to drop your AT&T service make sure its the day after your contract is up and do not give them any notice otherwise they will try and suck every last penny out of you.

Old February 6th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I was so early into a two year bundle contract that I couldn't begin to contemplate dealing them for another 21 months, I paid the penalty, and was happy to be done with them. My daughter is in the process of dumping them, many in our family have already done so. If you don't mind spending ten hours a month on the phone with them, speaking to someone in FarOffGhaniStan, I suppose it would be alright.