Flakey buyers online vs flakey buyers in-person - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 5th, 2013, 01:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Flakey buyers online vs flakey buyers in-person

Curious as to what you think is the lesser of two evils: dealing with people who come to your home, demo gear and then lowball you (if they even turn up) or ask you to reserve the item, or deliver it to them

vs

Paying listing fees and then chasing down non-payers online plus the requisite running around to package and post the gear.

I've got a bunch of things to offload, but consigning it in a store and letting them deal with people, seems more and more attractive these days. What's hassle-free in your book?

tjalla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

It really depends on the item, how easy it is to ship, and how quickly I need or want to offload it. I don't like to ship guitars (or other large/heavy stuff in general) if I don't have to because everyone wants free shipping and it can get bloody expensive. I've been known to hold onto items for months until the right CL buyer shows up and pays me my price, but I've also been known to dump a bunch of stuff on Ebay quickly just to get it out of my house.

In short, I do both all the time and deal with the advantages and shortcomings of each as they arise.

Old February 5th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

If you are talking about consigning guitars or equipment, I'd seriously advise you check the financial status of the store you are going to consign through. Both Jacksons Rare Guitars and The Bass Player here in Sydney went belly up, leaving a lot of consingors in the dark as to where their gear was. The short of it was if the gear was unsold you could get it back from the creditors, but if it was sold, then hasta la vista, baby.

I guess it's a part of due dilligence.
HoodieMcFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 5th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Consignment fees here in the US are ridiculous, at least in the shops I dealt with. It was usually 25-30%. Screw dat.

If someone is coming over to look at/check out some gear, I figure they're serious about potentially buying it. I don't mind if they don't buy it or throw out an offer that's low. I've tried out stuff before and after seeing it/playing it, decided I didn't want it, or didn't feel it was worth the asking price. But I went into it seriously intending to buy if it met my expectations.

Old February 5th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalla View Post
I've got a bunch of things to offload, but consigning it in a store and letting them deal with people, seems more and more attractive these days. What's hassle-free in your book?
Yes, I am more in this camp. Or, I hang on to stuff until I really want something else and then trade. I know I could get more if I sold it myself but I just don't want the hassle.
clayfeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Consignment to trusted sellers is a great option for certain things. Such as more valuable, vintage stuff. The guys I deal with get lots of traffic. If they sell something, that's most of the way around the typical suspicion and bull**** you can get from one on one sales. (I expect lowballing, but the assumption that I'm a liar and stupid gets really tiresome.)

For other stuff, I'm willing to do the face to face thing. Done some really good trades this way, more than outright sales. Lots of cool trades out there if you're adventurous.
MD
mad dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Craigslist is easier for me, especially on bigger items that I might dread packaging, having to go to the post office, etc.. vs somebody coming over with cash in hand and taking it with them, no worry about PayPal chargebacks, etc..

When selling on ebay I've never had to 'chase down' a buyer though, most of them pay, and if they don't pay you simply relist the item and ebay refunds your fees
CrisHendrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I am lucky enough to live in a major population area so CL is always my first choice. Ca$h in hand, deal done.

For hard to sell items I've gone to Ebay after a few months on the local CL. I usually get higher sales price on Ebay but then, as you say, I have all the fees and packaging work.
sax4blues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Honest is just a word. Don't expect it as a seller, or buyer. Buyers will show in response to an online 'local' ad for gear after saying (through a phone), "I want it, or I'll buy it." Sellers may not reveal defects, and only talk about positive aspects.

What they choose not to say over the phone is..."at a lower price." That's the way it's played, not stating that they're wanting a better deal before showing up to complete the deal.

It's the American way! However, if you're dealing with someone from the state of Kentucky...they never say what they'll pay, they insist on the seller telling the lowest price he, or she will accept.

Old February 5th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I used to advertise locally until once I received an unnerving phone call from someone who called from a blocked number and said he'd come around with cash at 2pm the next day to see what interested him - I was selling a bunch of pickups, pedals, speakers and a guitar - soon as he got my address he hung up and never showed.

That was my previous residence, and since have never given out my home address over the phone. Now that I'm trying to offload quite a few things again, I'm leery of dealing locally. Once bit twice shy.

Perth, while affluent, doesn't exactly have a massive population. The AUD-USD parity has made many buyers here trigger happy on ebay. I get the feeling there's a gear glut at the moment, the only way to move things is to price them at a bargain.

Store consignment is generally 25%, so that'll hurt. I heard about Jacksons going bust - good point.
tjalla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Hmm, I'm at the point that I would like to just pile my stuff up and burn it rather than deal with the hassle of either.