Eye 'floaters' - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Eye 'floaters'

Anyone else have them?

I've had them in the past but I hardly ever noticed them. Now I have a long squiggly thread in one eye and a couple dust spots in the other and I notice them constantly. They're driving me nuts! I went to the eye doctor yesterday and she said everything looks normal. The floaters may or may not fade over time but there's no treatment for them. Ugh!! So I just have to get used to these things?? And live with them for the rest of my life? What a drag it is getting old.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I've had them since childhood. Yes, you can and will get used to them. The less you think of them, the easier it will be.
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I've had them, but mine all eventually went away.
telex76 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Have them as long as I can remember.

Sometimes they are more annoying, sometimes less... Never been to the doctor for it though.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I've had them all my life, never notice them unless I consciously look for them. Like ringing in the ears I guess, which I also have.
barncat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

got em too. Annoying.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Since '82. Had a piece of steel removed from the back of my right eye. A couple dots. Sometimes they look like disatant birds in the sky. I kept my eye, a good thing.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I'm 36 and I've been having one for 2 years in my left eye. It seems to come and go. Pretty annoying, but I've gotten sorta used to it. I've read up on it and apparently, nope, nothing can be done. Welcome to the club.

WaylonFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADinNYC View Post
Anyone else have them?

I've had them in the past but I hardly ever noticed them. Now I have a long squiggly thread in one eye and a couple dust spots in the other and I notice them constantly. They're driving me nuts! I went to the eye doctor yesterday and she said everything looks normal. The floaters may or may not fade over time but there's no treatment for them. Ugh!! So I just have to get used to these things?? And live with them for the rest of my life? What a drag it is getting old.
You can get used to them. I use the example of looking through an old screen door. If you focus on the screen, you can see nothing but the crisscross pattern of the screen. But if you look through the screen and focus on the objects outside, you are no longer aware of the "screen" being in the way. The lesson here is “don't concentrate on the floaters”.

Now I will admit to seeing an imaginary mouse run across the floor or a bug flying around my face once in a while when in fact it is just a "floater".

Now what you want to watch out for is a sudden change. As a person gets older, the chances of a retina tear are more likely to occur. This is caused by the changing of the shape of parts of the eye that can cause a tearing of the connection of the retina and the inner surface of the eyeball. If the tear is gradual or very slight, you may get some blood on the fluid of the eye. A retina tear can be repaired with a laser if the blood flow is not just a temporary event.

I experienced a tear and the blood appeared in a stream like a contrail in the sky. Very scary. The blood flow may just be temporary if you are lucky, and will eventually dissipate and the blood will be flushed from the eye fluid (aqueous humor) as it is flushed as it is continuously drained and new fluid formed. This is a natural and constantly occurring process.

While the blood is in the fluid, it will sometimes dissipate or spread evenly throughout the eye fluid making it look cloudy or grey, eventually changing to just specs and hopefully completely clearing. The complete flushing of the eye fluid could take weeks or months and I believe can leave residue which could contribute to the "floaters". By the way, I'm not a doctor. I'm speaking from my own experience.

If you are lucky enough to recognize these symptoms as a wakeup call, you can begin to take some eye specific vitamins to help insure better eye health in the future. I'm just saying, it can't hurt.

Lost_N_Austin

Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I have 'em pretty bad in my left eye. I had some bleeding in that eye a couple of years ago, which resulted in my barely being able to see out of it for a while. I went to the eye doctor, and he said it was the result of "neovascularization" -- one of the major blood vessels in my eye was blocked, and new blood vessels were growing to bypass the blockage, but their walls were weak, causing the bleeding.

I could actually lay on my side and watch a line of blood creep up across my vision in my left eye ("up" because your brain reverses everything your retina receives, since the lens in your eye reverses it as it comes in; if you see a floater in the upper left corner of your vision, it's actually in the lower right corner of your eye). The eye doctor eventually ended up shooting a laser into my eye to cauterize the bleeding vessels and burn out the portion of my retina that was being fed by them. That hurt, but only while it was happening; there was no pain after the procedure was done. And I don't have a big blind spot in my vision, I guess because the affected area was way off at the edge of my retina.

Anyway, that seems to have stopped the bleeding, but we still don't know what caused the blockage. My cholesterol's fine, and an echocardiogram showed no problems. Since the laser procedure, the blood in my eye has gradually been absorbed, so the floaters aren't as bad as they were. I don't know if they'll ever completely go away, but Lost is right: You get used to them. I notice them sometimes when I'm reading, or when I'm in the shower and looking at the bright white wall of the shower, but most of the time I'm able to ignore them. I do occasionally think I see a little bug on the wall at the edge of my vision when it's just a floater.

Another thing Lost is right about: the OP was smart to go to the eye doctor. An occasional floater is normal, but a bunch of 'em can be evidence of a problem. Better safe than sorry. Also: If you ever get a spot in your vision that looks like the aftermath of a flashbulb going off, but lingers for hours or days, get to an eye doctor ASAP, because you've probably got some bleeding going on.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

..I'll tell you what fixed my floaters a... DETACHED RETINA...clear as glass now but you dont want to go through this...other eye still floaters there
thumbpick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I have a lot of problems with floaters and it is slowly getting worse. The floaters started about 20 years ago and I thought I was going blind or something but I learned to live with them. Since cataract surgery they became a little worse and after the retina detachment and reattachment surgery in my right eye I have cloudy floaters now and some little black spots that I sometimes think are a bug or something. My right eye is worse than my left and the vision is distorted and not correctable.

This is the main reason I am against the suggested requirement to wind pickups in the 2013 build challenge.
Mike Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!
Friend of Leo's

I've had them pretty much as long as I can remember. It seems a lot of people have a similar experience.

"I never practice my guitar... from time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." - Wes Montgomery
idjster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Thumbpick, did your eye doctor do a vitrectomy? That's the only procedure I've been able to find that would get rid of the floaters for good -- but after reading about what's involved and seeing some photos of the procedure, I decided my floaters weren't bad enough to go through that.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbpick View Post
..I'll tell you what fixed my floaters a... DETACHED RETINA...clear as glass now but you dont want to go through this...other eye still floaters there
The reattachment surgery made mine worse... the pain from that surgery is the worst I can imagine. A root canal is a scratch compared to retina reattachment pain. I have a scleral buckle around my right eye and they froze spots around the eyeball to cause scar tissue to reattach the retina.
Mike Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've had a few for years and I did get used to them, for the most part. I still think I see a little bug crawling/flying once in a while
steve v is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Mine started after cataract surgery a few years ago. They come and go, but the larger ones can be quite annoying.
Mike H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

no he didnt do a vitrectomy...with total detach you get to go home with a..INTER OCCULAR GAS BUBBLE..in your eye..NO VISION FOR A MONTH .......then vision is clear.... but like mike simpson said is a little wonky...also the focus has changed a bit from the other eye....so ive got one clear one with floaters and two different focus points....i can legally drive without glasses...but i use them at night ..with glasses my focus is bang on and 20.20......P.S..DONT EVER GET OLD!

Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

oh ya had cataract surgery..both eyes 10 years ago

Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I've had it since child hood too. According to my doctor it's some form of migraine. My "ordinary" migraine has become better, less frequent, and less harder when it hits with growing age, i'm 59, as it's supposed to. And as said earlier, the less you think of it, the better it's get. But it's always there if i look for it.
stinkey is online now   Reply With Quote