The Bestest Les Paul Ever - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The Bestest Les Paul Ever

I almost choked laughing on this Craigs List post. This fella MAY have some sort of anger management problemIt is a nice Epi but perhaps just a little over priced.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/msg/3581028344.html

benderb9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

It is nice, but not that nice. Yeah, I think you're right about this guy's latent anger issues. For some reason, while reading his ad, the only thing I could think was, "douchenozzle."

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Lowballers and scammers bring out the worst in some people.
If you can't handle those guys, stay off CL.
It's a haven for em', no?
brookdalebill is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Looks to me like a half-assed attempt to clear a debt.

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I don't know, I've managed to sell plenty on CL without going on some kind of a tirade. Just delete the scam emails, and counter-offer the low-ballers. It's a chore, yes, but it's not soul killing.

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Was thinking it was overpriced until he noted that it's a "real heavy guitar," so maybe based on per lb weight it's a steal.
joelstrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Ridiculous! I wouldn't pay a dime over $2000 for that guitar, rare as it is!

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Seems like he's trying the "Nasty Norm" approach to shaming someone into paying his price, LOL. Since you could buy a new "Lester" for that I think $2500 for a 30 year old Epi might be a stretch. Anyone bold enough to email and suggest what it's really worth.

I've come to the conclusion that some lowballers aren't even looking to buy for themselves but rather to buy at a price that will allow them to flip whatever you've got for a profit. It's almost the opposite of the scammers since in this case the right price is all they're interested in. They don't ask the questions that an interested buyer would usually ask it's just simply "will you take $$$ for it" and always much lower than you're asking. Not even close to negotiating range.

I won't even bother to negotiate via email or over the phone with CL lowballers. If they're not interested in seeing it and evaluating it in person with cash in hand then they're just "kickin' tires" and not a live prospect as far as I'm concerned unless you're willing to practically give it away. Once you refuse to negotiate any other way but in person the time wasters disappear without another word. They aren't my buyers.
CS Nocaster; "Nashcaster"; MP Thinline; MIM/Nashville; Squier CVC; Lenti Esquire; Peavey Generation Custom EXP, Taylor 214ce-dlx; Breedlove C250cme; Roland Cube 40xl; Roland Blues Cube; Bugera v5; Ampeg GVT-112e, CV JBass; CV PBass; tc BG250 1x15 Bass Amp.
soulman969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Imgivingupusingspacemarksandpuctuationaswellhejust gaveuppunctuationbutimtakingittoanotherlevel
my parents hated my tone when i was little...they kept saying...i dont like your tone young man!
theNebulasgnarly instro-surf
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulman969 View Post
I won't even bother to negotiate via email or over the phone with CL lowballers. If they're not interested in seeing it and evaluating it in person with cash in hand then they're just "kickin' tires" and not a live prospect as far as I'm concerned unless you're willing to practically give it away. Once you refuse to negotiate any other way but in person the time wasters disappear without another word. They aren't my buyers.
This is a good system.

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulman969 View Post
Seems like he's trying the "Nasty Norm" approach to shaming someone into paying his price, LOL. Since you could buy a new "Lester" for that I think $2500 for a 30 year old Epi might be a stretch. Anyone bold enough to email and suggest what it's really worth.

I've come to the conclusion that some lowballers aren't even looking to buy for themselves but rather to buy at a price that will allow them to flip whatever you've got for a profit. It's almost the opposite of the scammers since in this case the right price is all they're interested in. They don't ask the questions that an interested buyer would usually ask it's just simply "will you take $$$ for it" and always much lower than you're asking. Not even close to negotiating range.

I have very few hard and fast rules with craigslist, except one: I no longer respond to an ad that won't provide a phone number. Email takes too long, and the 'seller' almost never replies anyway.

While I understand not wanting to negotiate via text or email, I have had someone ask me 'if I come look at it and like it, would you go $500 cash?' The reason they sometimes do this is maybe they live 50 miles away. If $500 is the max they'll pay, and if the least I'll take is $550, what's the point of going any further? I don't mind telling them that 'yeah, I can go $500, but no lower,' or, 'sorry, $550 is the lowest I'll go, thanks.'

The only thing I've 'lost' in that situation is the 10 seconds it took to respond to them. I've sold many guitars and amps with that type of text exchange, with of course a voice conversation typically taking place prior to them coming over.

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo Springs E View Post
I have very few hard and fast rules with craigslist, except one: I no longer respond to an ad that won't provide a phone number. Email takes too long, and the 'seller' almost never replies anyway.

While I understand not wanting to negotiate via text or email, I have had someone ask me 'if I come look at it and like it, would you go $500 cash?' The reason they sometimes do this is maybe they live 50 miles away. If $500 is the max they'll pay, and if the least I'll take is $550, what's the point of going any further? I don't mind telling them that 'yeah, I can go $500, but no lower,' or, 'sorry, $550 is the lowest I'll go, thanks.'

The only thing I've 'lost' in that situation is the 10 seconds it took to respond to them. I've sold many guitars and amps with that type of text exchange, with of course a voice conversation typically taking place prior to them coming over.
I can understand that if a guy is contacting me from the Springs or Ft. Collins or the mountains and tells me that. I'm assuming that typically these are either local responses or some guy who isn't even even in this area factoring in shipping costs. The "tell" is that they're not even asking to see it first before they make an offer.

I think your point about a phone number is well taken and if it's not given I will ask for it. But you're right, there's usually no follow up response when I do or if I tell them I will only consider negotiating with them that way or in person. Even the assumption that they'd buy it if I agreed to their price is a false one. That's just an invitation for an "OK thanks let me think about it". If I want to buy anything for the best price I can get I should show up ready to buy then and there cash in hand. Wouldn't you?

If a potential buyer has a serious interest when we talk and makes a reasonable offer I'll consider it or counter it. There's no sense in both of us wasting our time if a deal can't get done. But most of what I'm talking about are "tire kickers" just shopping my price against other stuff they may also be interested in. That's why I get the sense they're re-sellers and not end users or at the very least only semi interested in what I have.

If they're not interested enough to call and make arrangements to at least see it how serious are they really? Who calls up a car dealer and offers them $7k or $8k over the phone sight unseen for a car they've advertised for $10.5k? They'd laugh at you and suggest you to come down to negotiate because you can't sign for the deal over the phone.

If I'm ready to buy something used I want to look it over first and I come with cash in hand so I can only assume that any other interested and qualified buyer would do the same. It seems like kind of an insult to make a lowball offer without even having taken the time to see if what's being offered is worth what's asked isn't it?
CS Nocaster; "Nashcaster"; MP Thinline; MIM/Nashville; Squier CVC; Lenti Esquire; Peavey Generation Custom EXP, Taylor 214ce-dlx; Breedlove C250cme; Roland Cube 40xl; Roland Blues Cube; Bugera v5; Ampeg GVT-112e, CV JBass; CV PBass; tc BG250 1x15 Bass Amp.
soulman969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Did you get past the terrible spelling, and grammar?
That aspect alone-makes it difficult to consider the gear.

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I don't think that Epiphone was even making the Les Paul model in Japan in 1980. I don't think that would have started until about 1990.

It looks like a Masterbuilt from the past 5 or 6 years.

Maybe I'll send the guy an email and let him know.

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Do you think he'll take $300?

Dad! Bring me a beer.
Mom?! Meatloaf!
jonnyfez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Let's all email offers of $300.
I'm sure this guy would love that!
Red Square is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Square View Post
That's hilarious!

I don't want to be mean to anyone, but that would be hilarious to all come back here and share his responses.

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTexan View Post
I don't think that Epiphone was even making the Les Paul model in Japan in 1980. I don't think that would have started until about 1990.

It looks like a Masterbuilt from the past 5 or 6 years.

Maybe I'll send the guy an email and let him know.
Yeah, I think the Epi LP was first made in 1988.

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Some people know how to sell and some just never get it...
Bartholomew3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Square View Post
I'm in, if y'all are...