My Craigslist encounter last night! - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Closed Thread

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My Craigslist encounter last night!

On Sunday I listed a guitar for sale. Had a few phone calls but a guy somewhat local was the first to come look at it. So I agree to meet him at the local Wal Mart. He calls and asks if we can meet up by the gas station since it is really well lit. I said sure. He tells me that his dad is with him because he knows more about guitars. So I get there and he looks at the guitar and wants it. He is probaby 25-27 or so. He offers me less than my asking price and I politely tell him no. So he goes ahead and pays my asking price. We chat for a few minutes then get ready to leave. I jokingly said "Well, thanks for not being the craigslist killer" and he replies, "yeah, I came prepared" and pulls a gun out of his coat pocket. He laughs, jumps in his car and leaves. They seemed like legit people and I am sure he had a permit but wow, it left we with an unsettling feeling.................

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

It is scary, but fact is there are like 300 million guns in the US and a lot of people are carrying guns that you meet everyday.

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Had his dad and his gun with him? What an insecure fella.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Damn!

It's legal to carry a concealed weapon in Indiana?

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

he was of the same mind apparently. I mean the ad says Guitar for sale, its a given that the seller won't accept a check or disaster card. You meet someplace after calling a throw-away phone(?) listed in an ad placed at the library for all you know. So your lured to someplace with potantially a few hundred dollars or much more in your pocket meeting a stranger. LOL...yep gotta be trust on both sides for that. Unable to 'trust but verify' you follow the BSA motto and 'be prepared' as well as discrete.

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Yes, legal in Indiana. Here is my main concern. Why did he have to pull it out? He could have just laughed off my joke and went on his way. Seemed like a macho move to me.

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

It's pretty typical really. Some people are willing to shoot people over a dollar and some are not. Very strange gun toting world...

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherbound View Post
Yes, legal in Indiana. Here is my main concern. Why did he have to pull it out? He could have just laughed off my joke and went on his way. Seemed like a macho move to me.

No big deal. Wouldn't have bothered me at all. I applaud people for being prepared to defend themselves should the need arise. Sounds like a good CL sale and everything worked out great.

...Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours... llusions by Richard Bach

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

That was really inmature of him to announce / show his gun. Open carry is one thing but when your consealed carrying the only time it show ever be show is when your drawing it to use.
I guess it would have been worse though if he showed it while trying to haggle the price.

Damned if you do, bored of you don't.

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADinNYC View Post
Damn!

It's legal most places other than NY. Here, open carry is legal as well, and no permits are needed.

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

After hundreds of craigslist buys/sells, the squeemishness has gone away for me. I used to sell a lot of car parts when I had my racecar and was always buying cars for spare parts. I've met people everywhere from their house, my house, a mall, a guitar center, a Daddy's junky music, a wal mart parking lot, a gas station, a commuter lot just off the highway. Biggest issue I've every had was that I decided not to make a trade for an SRV for my Carvin. Should have made the trade.

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have made TONS of transactions on Craigslist. I assume the person has a weapon which is fine. I just found it very strange that he pulled it out of his coat to show it to me. I actually laughed, he laughed and I told him that I wasn't offended in the least, but as I was driving off I just wondered why he felt the need to get it out. I have always been taught that if you are carrying a concealed weapon there is only ONE reason to get it out............

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherbound View Post
I have made TONS of transactions on Craigslist. I assume the person has a weapon which is fine. I just found it very strange that he pulled it out of his coat to show it to me. I actually laughed, he laughed and I told him that I wasn't offended in the least, but as I was driving off I just wondered why he felt the need to get it out. I have always been taught that if you are carrying a concealed weapon there is only ONE reason to get it out............
you made a joke, he made a joke with props. As long as he didn't point it at you.

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Woah you Americans are nuts about guns...

Old January 25th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I agree that he was making a joke, but I also think that you should never pull out your gun unless its necessary. Immature move on his part IMO.

Old January 25th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Haha, sounds like something I'd do!
But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high!

Old January 25th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADinNYC View Post
Damn!

Legal in 49 states, Illinois being the right denied state.
3 states no permit required- Alaska, Arizona and Vermont.
38 shall issue states
8 may issue states- which basically means will not issue for defending yourself. CA, NY, DE, MA, RI, NJ, HI and MD.

I agree with being able to defend yourself, but showing off your weapon is stupid. If you're doing something like that, there's a damn good chance you aren't trained well enough and could easily have it snatched out of your hand while acting like a tough guy.

Old January 25th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I traded guns with a well respected member of a gun forum one time. I answered his ad and he came to my house. We chatted guns for about 20 mins in my garage. He then asked if I wanted to see his carry piece after discussing handguns grips. And he pulls a 9mm out of the waistband of his gym shorts. Promptly unloads it safely and hands it to me to check out. It was no surprise since guns were the topic of the visit, and since the overall visit was light hearted, I didn't mind. But the situation makes me think a bit more about meeting someone now. Now showing you in a public place... all it would take would be a 3rd party to see it, however innocent the situation, to cause problems.

Old January 25th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

That sounds like a business model: !

Create a safe place for Craiglisters to go...take their item..leave it, or sell it...
meet up, etc, or not, etc...

Old January 25th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

If the op had felt threatened by what he did, he could have been charged with brandishing a weapon. Foolish move on his part.

Closed Thread