Gift Cards Rant! - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Gift Cards Rant!

OK...I understand the need for security on these things and I'm grateful for it.

But it's kind of annoying when you try to use a gift card over the internet, and it gets denied. Twice. Then you find out, oh it's because you have to register it. So you call to register it, and they tell you that you have to give the name of the person who bought it for you. And it's a month after Christmas, and you know you got TWO Gift cards from people, one is from a manager and one, the name escapes you. You don't want to say it's the boss one because people are around you, and they will be all "hey why did SHE get an xmas gift, and not me??" So you hang up and think about the two cards. Then you remember, oh yes, my sister gave me this one!! So you call back and go through the process again, this time confidently giving your sister's name as the giver of said gift card. Then they ask for YOUR personal info. Name, easy enough. Address...crap. I don't have an address, I'm staying with my sister, but have not "moved in there" to change my address over to anything. I have a PO Box that my bills and cards are registered to. But this isn't *my* card, it's a gift card. So you give your sister's address, feeling like a fraud saying it's yours. Then they want a phone number. Mine, hers, cell, work? He said it didn't matter, so you give your cell. Then he says, "if you'd like, you can also give us your email address...." So I said, no thanks". I don't really want to be email spammed by TD Bank, even though I'm fairly certain they will do just that.

I don't know if this issue is only because I've tried to use the card at Amazon for an online purpose, or if it will happen with the other card when I try to use it. But I'm sticking to IN PERSON purchases only. And from now on, requesting CASH from anyone who cares enough to ask me "hey, what do you want for Christmas/your Birthday??

End rant.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

and they say never look a gift card in the mouth
fuzzbender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Rain, I'm mighty glad that my only two gift cards are for: 1- a local restaurant 2-GC.

Both, I will use in person.

Sorry to hear about your snags with gifts.
bendecaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzbender View Post
and they say never look a gift card in the mouth
I know, I'm an ungrateful b***ch, But my rant is about the execution, not the actual gift. And again, I know it's for my protection, so I guess the only real blame here is to those who continually learn to hack, steal, and take things that do not belong to them, leading to such drastic security measures! My real beef is with them.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

on the other hand, beware of Geeks bearing gift cards
fuzzbender is offline   Reply With Quote