Daughter story. - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Daughter story.

We have not shoved lessons at our kids like many but have kid-friendly instruments in a Little Martin and Mini Strat. My bro's daughter and some neighbor kids treat it (music instruction) like punishment.

You don't dare do any more than a little steering with my daughter and enforce the dog rules (yes, no, sit, stay, come). On her own she seems to achieve more.

She's in 6th grade now. We know she has some musical talent. She quit practicing her violin at home because her friends dropped out. She still brought home two red ribbons for the orchestra class recital competition.

I noticed the two small guitars were moved to her bedroom. This past weekend I noticed somebody was searching youtube for Adele lessons. Sunday night I was playing and she came in my office recording what I did on the iPod. A day later she showed me her efforts and for the first time asked for help.

Hard to believe I spent decades not wanting kids. With basic love, guidance and luck I've got one if the neatest people I've met and now she wants to play guitar with me.

:)

P.S. I wish the hands off approach could work so well with my twin boys.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Cool story. Congrats.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Way to go dad!!! Nothing finer in life than playing music with your children.

My older son has been playing bass guitar for 10+ years, we love jamming.

My younger son plays trumpet in his Middle School band, but has shown no interest in playing drums, keyboards, guitars, instruments like that. Until a few weeks ago when he surprised us and said he wanted to start taking piano lessons. Since then he has, on his own, started learning to play on the keyboard we have.

Ya, we cannot push our children to learn to play music, but its wonderful if on their own they decide to do it. I hope your daughter continues to enjoy learning to play the guitar. Thanks for sharing the story...

Take care...

...Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours... llusions by Richard Bach
Big_Bend is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

That's a great feeling! My daughter is a senior this year and she asked for a bass around 6th grade. I got her a little red Squier Mustang and a little practice amp and a couple instruction vids. She kind of half-heartedly messed with them, then her drive kinda fell off the map(or so I thought).

Six years down the road, she plays guitar, bass, a little keyboards and even keeps a steady beat on my little drum kit. She gets together with her friends in my music room when I'm not using it. She also sings very well.

Also to boot, this week is exam week and she is exempt from all of her exams, as she has straight A's!
bendecaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Something only you and she will share and something she will always have as a memory. Very cool indeed. Congrats. Closest I've come is my dog singing when I play.
"Blues is a natural fact, is something that a fellow lives. If you don't live it you don't have it. Young people have forgotten to cry the blues. Now they talk and get lawyers and things. " - Big Bill Broonzy
telleutelleme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Good story imwjl and your approach is similar to ours. We placed a large storage bin in each child's (two kids, a son and daughter) room since they could walk. These bins were full of yard sale instruments, anything we could find that made noise. My daughter was a member of a semi-professional chorus from about age 6-10. It helped her develop a very good ear.

Then as they got older, they both were given mini-Martins and they started lessons, she was 11 he was 9. There's been ups and downs but in the last year or so it has paid off in spades. Both of them now take guitars everywhere.

And sure enough a few weeks ago she sends me this vid...

DW

Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

my friend's daughter expressed an interest (through her mom) that she wanted to play guitar... I took one over to their house and told her I would show her whatever she wanted to learn and if she took an interest in playing, I would give her the guitar, but that there was no harm in it if it turned out not to be her thing.

that was 3 months ago... a few weeks later she asked what a capo was and I got her a snark tuner for the guitar (with a capo) and she has been using youtube and the internet and she is playing and singing! what a thrill!

She is so funny. She consistently is polite but essentially is aloof to whatever I show her or share with her, acting more disinterested than anything else... only to find out that the minute I'm gone, she dives in and gets after it... I am truly enjoying the whole thing...

My son continues to progress and I got him a new amp for christmas and gave him my former #1 tele. He is busily learning parts of songs and doing some singing too...

Like your daughter, these kids seem to be pretty self directed, which I understand because I'm the same way.