Samantha the GPS can't cut the mustard: - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 21st, 2013, 12:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Samantha the GPS can't cut the mustard:

Samantha has been a good old gal, well anyway for being a GPS, but she's fadin' fast. I almost bought a new gal today, but when I got to researching a little, I found most GPS units can't hold their software. They all have pretty small memories with about 8 gigs being the limit, and half of that is used up by the operating system or whatever lurks in there. Anyone have some insight into which would make a good GPS that will hold a whole U.S. map? I would just pay for the updates for my old gal Sam, but I don't think she's able to hold much in the way of maps. I think the maps would make a good down payment on a whole new GPS and they come with supposedly lifetime updates.

As an aside I don't think GPS units are gonna be around too long with the new phones having GPS capabilities anyway, so I dunno which route to go. Lifetime updates might mean a year.

Old January 21st, 2013, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I have not turned on my Garmin [with life time updates] since I got an Android Smart phone. The GPS is SO superior it is not funny.

Ciao

Old January 21st, 2013, 01:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I haven't used anything but my phone for a long time now.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

We paid for a data plan for my wife's smart phone last summer, just so that we could use the GPS.
Unfortunately, we were camping in areas with terrible cell phone coverage, so the GPS didn't work that well.
A couple of years ago, we bought a GPS device that connected to a laptop. The sensor sat on the dash, and the map was on the laptop. It was a bit awkward sometimes having the laptop on the passenger's lap, but there was no issue with memory, and the GPS worked really well. It even had some good suggestions for music stores in Winnipeg.

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I use my iPad for navigation. Works great, never want to go back to a 4" screen...

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsson View Post
I use my iPad for navigation.
Does it use an external sensor, or is the GPS built in?

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelnet View Post
It's built in.

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Formerly known as Eryque
Doctor of Teleocity

The downside of using the smartphone GPS is that it uses the internet to find locations and calculate directions, so like kelnet said, if you're in the boonies it can't help you. (The map is on the phone, though, so if you can still read a map you can help yourself.) They also have less features, like multiple waypoint routes, etc. Google Maps, for instance, doesn't learn your driving habits like my Garmin did, so it doesn't know how fast I drive on the highway and doesn't give accurate arrival times.

The upside is that they're usually free, the maps are constantly updated, and if you have a smartphone you'll always have it with you.

Garmin and other companies are making smartphone apps now too, so you pay less of a premium and get most of the features of their dedicated units.

The need for a data connection isn't an automatic cellphone navigator killer, though. There are free apps you can use to save the data for areas you define, so the phone will have the information already. If you can plan ahead, you'll be just fine.

I haven't used my Garmin since I got my Android phone either.

Parts & Pickups

www.kokoteleguitarworks.com
KokoTele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
We paid for a data plan for my wife's smart phone last summer, just so that we could use the GPS.
Unfortunately, we were camping in areas with terrible cell phone coverage, so the GPS didn't work that well.
A couple of years ago, we bought a GPS device that connected to a laptop. The sensor sat on the dash, and the map was on the laptop. It was a bit awkward sometimes having the laptop on the passenger's lap, but there was no issue with memory, and the GPS worked really well. It even had some good suggestions for music stores in Winnipeg.
Had that set up going cross country a few years ago. Velcro strapped the netbook to the console with the device on the dash. It worked awesome.

Do they have Android to video screen? I think my phone might go the RCA jack in my console for the video screen with the right cable. I have a 7" video screen in my dash, disabled while driving of course.

I just use my Android now, it seems easier and cheaper.

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Which iPad?

My iPad4 "WiFi + Cellular" does but not suitable for the car. The iPad4 "WiFi" does not. http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/specs/

The Garmin does roads and traffic better anyway. I only use the Garmin when I'm going somewhere unfamiliar. The important thing is to keep the Garmin updated: it's memory can get stuffed; it will take an extra memory card.

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'm still using the MAP system, pretty fool proof. Although I'll often check Google maps before I leave.

Old January 21st, 2013, 12:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've always used a map don't have GPS, don't need one. I had a delivery schmuck show up at my door I told I'm not expecting a delivery, he's looking at his GPS. I asked what address he's looking for- turns out he's on the wrong street- just use a city streets map you idiot- pretty simple.

Old January 21st, 2013, 12:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I have had a Garmin for several years, I find it a pretty nice thing to have. Sometimes it can go wrong, but so can map reading. I drove truck in the Western States hauling a number of different products, and also hauling heavy equipment for almost 20 years using a road atlas, I much prefer the Garmin to maps that can be out of date and also lead you astray. My wife and I are both retired, we don't have elaborate phones, our phone expenses are pretty minimal, as are the features. I can buy a pretty nice Garmin for just a few months of a more modern phone expense.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I hardly need GPS to find my way to work or the supermarket, nor for that matter wild and woolly places with few roads (maps work for that) but for negotiating city streets they are invaluable for unfamiliar destinations. My mobile is a basic PAYG, I pay less on that in a year than most do in a month. My iPad4 has no GPS (hence no 3G service fees) and it doesn't fit on the car's dash anyway: the Garmin does that even if it does get some idiotic ideas from time to time - lifetime updates, no fees.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

The main reason for having a Garmin for us is the fact that we are getting older, and you just can't process info as quickly as you once did. I used to run Los Angles in both 80,000 lb gross weight vehicles, and over sized loads down there totaling almost twice that much weight and 14' wide. Now because of the increase in traffic, and the evolution of already insane drivers to something you simply cannot imagine, (think kill crazy video game) I need all the help I can get just to operate a passenger vehicle. If you miss an intersection, and aren't familiar with returning to the freeway, you may not only get lost, you may stumble into a turf situation you really don't want to be in.

Right here in Bakersfield, a man who wandered into the wrong place at the wrong time, wearing a blue shirt was killed for wearing a blue shirt. Colors violation. He wasn't even from this area he was passing through, just happened to stop at the wrong gas station, and was mistakenly identified as a gang member on the wrong turf. Caution cannot not be overexercised, I NEVER venture into that part of town, it's a good twenty miles away from where I live.

Some of the places we commonly visit also have territory problems, I was going to name the cities but deleted them because it may not be within the rules of the forum, and I do not wish to embarrass anyone living there. I like to plan my route, and have my wife help me navigate, you just have to know the rules of the game.

I'm looking at the Garmin Nuvi 2595LMT, anyone have one? I've read a lot of reviews which were mixed. I also read a number of reviews on other models and brands, but no one single GPS unit gets universal praise which brings me to why I posted on this forum. I trust the guys on a Telecaster forum more than any review page, because you've already found the best instrument so I know your thought processes are not suspect.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Our GPS "Gert" took us 30 miles out of the way in the cold, the dark and the rain the day after Thanksgiving. She managed to find one of two locations in New Jersey where there's nothing. No phone lines, no electric lines, no street lights.

We're in the freakin' cold, the rain and the dark. Gert proudly announces,

"You have reached your destination."

Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

"Siri" told me the other day that she found several Home Depots but they were "quite far" from Staten Island. Funny, that's no*t* what the address of the place says!

(had to edit my typo!)

Last edited by tele-rain; January 23rd, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
tele-rain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quite Far, cool!

Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:14 AM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

We have a Tom Tom and have been very pleased. It has navigated some crazy areas perfectly. There have been a few errors too. It once wanted me to take a left off the side of an overpass onto a road about 30 feet below in Pittsburgh. It also sent us about 15 miles out of our way in the middle of the New Hampshire boonies; giving us the "you have reached your destination" on a deserted road (the kid at the hotel said it happens all the time with their address). I prefer the GPS unit to my phone because it works in remote areas where I need it most and because it mounts nicely on the windshield.
jimd is offline   Reply With Quote