Gangnam Style ... Metal Versions - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 20th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Gangnam Style ... Metal Versions

There's a few Gangnam Style versions done in metal on the net. Thought I'd post one for laughs.

Really well done. Watch the real one after...

http://vimeo.com/51296749

Old January 20th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Very cool.
I saw the silver ferns do it, cringe.

I love the death metal versions of Bieber songs too
waster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I do not understand why he has blown up in the states. He has said some really horrible things about Americans and our armed forces. "Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law, and fathers. Kill them all slowly and painfully".

I do not typically get offended by things, but he needs to hurry up and get his 15 minutes over with so no one has to ever hear him again.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 20th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchie View Post
I do not understand why he has blown up in the states. He has said some really horrible things about Americans and our armed forces. "Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law, and fathers. Kill them all slowly and painfully".

I do not typically get offended by things, but he needs to hurry up and get his 15 minutes over with so no one has to ever hear him again.

I won't disagree with your sentiment, but allow me to illuminate the situation and how timing contributed to Psy's inflammatory lyrics. As an American citizen who has been involved in the music industry in Seoul for the past 21 years (A former band I was in even toured with Psy back in early 2001) who is grateful for those who serve in uniform...including many who live my apartment building, I wouldn't respond this way if I didn't have knowledge of the context of Psy's lyrics and the events he participated in back in 2002 and for the next 2 years that highlighted what he said on a public stage.

Psy recently publicly apologized for what he said. Take it with a grain of salt as I do, but in the end, I wish he could have clarified things a bit.

If you look at what the events that transpired from 1999 to 2001 that involved Korea and the USFK, you might see that he wasn't spewing random hate, and it might be wise to understand the primary incidents that inspired him and and rockers like him, YB, and Shin Haecheol to be so boisterously anti-US Army at the time:

1. Regardless of protection by SOFA between the US and the ROK and how certain acts against ROK citizens that result in death may fall under "non-criminal", the way the USFK military court let off the soldiers who ran over the two girls with an M60A1 coming back from school on a very narrow civilian road near the DMZ in 2001 (ruling: not guilty of negligent homicide) made me sick and caused the whole nation to lose more than a little trust with the battalion that has faithfully served to protect against the North for so many decades. In short, the ruling incited the greatest anti-American sentiment since the rape and murder of a bar girl by a GI in 1992. I was here when that happened as well and remember the demonstrations vividly.

USFK MPs are very strong with discipline when it comes to internal affairs, but from what I've heard from friends stationed here in the army is that regretfully they don't seem to show the same kind of fervor for investigating off-base crimes committed by USFK soldiers. But there's more to the story...

2. The Korean populace was strongly against the involvement of Korean in the war in Iraq, but the gov't sent the defensive Zaitun unit nonetheless. The beheading of a Korean citizen by insurgent rebels not long after the beginning of the offense made the above things worse, and was previously mentioned by Psy as another reason for his animosity against the US military. However, the inflammatory lyrics from the song you quoted from above in context pecifically wishes death on family members of CIA and US military personel who abused/tortured inmates at Abu Ghraib and the subsequent controversy. Horrible things to say about anyone in the service of an ally, but notice how the events that incited such lyrics both in Korea (see my next point) and abroad were all perpetrated by the few bad apples who were nonetheless sworn to uphold justice.

3. Keep in mind that were no less than two highly publicized rape incidents here of Korean women by USFK GIs that preceded the above girls' deaths within a span of 30 months, you might see how an established pop figure would use his position to grandstand public sentiment even more so. The most recent rape conviction of a USFK soldier was in 2011 by a married GI with kids who violated a teenager in Seoul, and although I would never wish death upon any fellow American, I was eager to hear of justice being served for him (and any other Korean criminals for that matter) who commit crimes against others in this country. The man in question is presently serving a 6-year sentence.

I don't mean to politicalize the issue, but context was significant in contributing to the aforementioned inflammatory lyrics rather than some random "screw America" rant by some nobody.
Telegazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

How about this one?

Five Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

It's not metal,

but for some reason I like this version best.
claudel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Seems like a remake of Pump up the Jam, with a little Living La Vida Loca thrown in for good measure.

Old January 20th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

No matter what version, the minute the music starts there's always that mental picture of the creepy little fat dude doing his girl dancing. My hope is that, here in the states, he will remain relagated to the catagory of cult clown...
william tele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

utter crap
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by william tele View Post
No matter what version, the minute the music starts there's always that mental picture of the creepy little fat dude doing his girl dancing. My hope is that, here in the states, he will remain relagated to the catagory of cult clown...
With over a billion youtube hits, I'm not sure the term cult applies..

Old January 20th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-man View Post
With over a billion youtube hits, I'm not sure the term cult applies..
The obese kid who made a ninja video got over a billion hits too but I don't think that would validate the performance as anything more than a morbid spectacle.
william tele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

True - metal maybe - but still gay. Pissed me off that actual musicians with real talent cant get a minute of air time and this one hit wonder blows up
DMeltzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMeltzer View Post
True - metal maybe - but still gay. Pissed me off that actual musicians with real talent cant get a minute of air time and this one hit wonder blows up
Isn't that the irony of it though?

"One hit wonder" if you're like the rest of the world that never heard of him before, yet he has sold out 8000-capacity arenas for a few years now, has had multiple album and TV commercial contracts well before Gangnam Style blew up and has been signed to the highest-grossing production company in Korea since 2010. To us over here, the bigger irony is that millions have been pumped into promoting K-Pop groups both in Asia and the West with no such a harvest. Big Bang and 2NE1 are huge among fans in South America and Europe, Kara and T-Ara made mega bucks in Japan, SNSD is well loved in many countries, but YG (the force behind Big Bang and 2NE1) didn't have to do anything more than a music video to get the ball rolling with Psy. A snowball resulted just from a music video.

The way I see it, no talented band with a "song" could probably recreate such success because of the human psyche around the globe limits itself to acceptable styles of music, whereas with Gangnam Style became a bizarre global anthem because of nothing more than a very otherworldly (to non-local viewers) video production, combined with a silly dance and the resulting aftermath on youtube and beyond. People didn't need lyrics and a melody to get them "singing" along, and the world went bananas as the video went viral.
Telegazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegazer View Post
A snowball resulted just from a music video.
Bingo. That's the rationale.

There is a least common denominator thing with stuff like this - that is, dude came up with a dance move that resonated with a TON of people on earth. The video almost challenges people to try to mimic that dance move. It's a signature move for sure. There's actually two signature moves in that video - moves that if someone does it in public, everyone around thinks about the video.

That's the reason the whole thing is so popular - not the song itself. The dance moves in the video are the hook.

Old January 20th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Gangnam is like the "Hollywood" of Seoul. He's taking the piss out of the wankers who live there.

The original song is dripping with satire. It's not a Korean Michael Jackson thing, more like Weird Al.

That people take it seriously is the funny part.

Old January 21st, 2013, 01:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegazer View Post

I won't disagree with your sentiment, but allow me to illuminate the situation and how timing contributed to Psy's inflammatory lyrics. As an American citizen who has been involved in the music industry in Seoul for the past 21 years (A former band I was in even toured with Psy back in early 2001) who is grateful for those who serve in uniform...including many who live my apartment building, I wouldn't respond this way if I didn't have knowledge of the context of Psy's lyrics and the events he participated in back in 2002 and for the next 2 years that highlighted what he said on a public stage.

Psy recently publicly apologized for what he said. Take it with a grain of salt as I do, but in the end, I wish he could have clarified things a bit.

If you look at what the events that transpired from 1999 to 2001 that involved Korea and the USFK, you might see that he wasn't spewing random hate, and it might be wise to understand the primary incidents that inspired him and and rockers like him, YB, and Shin Haecheol to be so boisterously anti-US Army at the time:

1. Regardless of protection by SOFA between the US and the ROK and how certain acts against ROK citizens that result in death may fall under "non-criminal", the way the USFK military court let off the soldiers who ran over the two girls with an M60A1 coming back from school on a very narrow civilian road near the DMZ in 2001 (ruling: not guilty of negligent homicide) made me sick and caused the whole nation to lose more than a little trust with the battalion that has faithfully served to protect against the North for so many decades. In short, the ruling incited the greatest anti-American sentiment since the rape and murder of a bar girl by a GI in 1992. I was here when that happened as well and remember the demonstrations vividly.

USFK MPs are very strong with discipline when it comes to internal affairs, but from what I've heard from friends stationed here in the army is that regretfully they don't seem to show the same kind of fervor for investigating off-base crimes committed by USFK soldiers. But there's more to the story...

2. The Korean populace was strongly against the involvement of Korean in the war in Iraq, but the gov't sent the defensive Zaitun unit nonetheless. The beheading of a Korean citizen by insurgent rebels not long after the beginning of the offense made the above things worse, and was previously mentioned by Psy as another reason for his animosity against the US military. However, the inflammatory lyrics from the song you quoted from above in context pecifically wishes death on family members of CIA and US military personel who abused/tortured inmates at Abu Ghraib and the subsequent controversy. Horrible things to say about anyone in the service of an ally, but notice how the events that incited such lyrics both in Korea (see my next point) and abroad were all perpetrated by the few bad apples who were nonetheless sworn to uphold justice.

3. Keep in mind that were no less than two highly publicized rape incidents here of Korean women by USFK GIs that preceded the above girls' deaths within a span of 30 months, you might see how an established pop figure would use his position to grandstand public sentiment even more so. The most recent rape conviction of a USFK soldier was in 2011 by a married GI with kids who violated a teenager in Seoul, and although I would never wish death upon any fellow American, I was eager to hear of justice being served for him (and any other Korean criminals for that matter) who commit crimes against others in this country. The man in question is presently serving a 6-year sentence.

I don't mean to politicalize the issue, but context was significant in contributing to the aforementioned inflammatory lyrics rather than some random "screw America" rant by some nobody.
I am well aware of the backstory and by no means do I defend what happened. You can not go spout off hate speech however because a handful of idiots do rotten things. A lot of hard working and honest troops are putting their lives on the line in that part of the world to keep south korea safe.

Thats all I will say, I dont want to see this thread get shut down for politics on my account.

Old January 21st, 2013, 02:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Geez, I wish I had know this stuff before I posted something that cracked me up when I saw it on facebook.

Can we perhaps discuss whether Americans should be in Korea or not another time and concentrate on how silly this song is? There are American troops in 150 countries - it's hardly unique to Korea.