Anyone ever drop a lot of coin on some sunglasses? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 19th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Anyone ever drop a lot of coin on some sunglasses?

I've gone back and forth with this... I usually wore sub-$100ish sunglasses as I was notorious for losing them. Of course, as is often the case, the lower the price, the greater correlation that they will NOT be lost--even if you try LOL.

Anyway, about 1-1/2 years ago I spent 3 bills on some Maui Jims (pictured). I have to say, the lenses on these things are incredible! As hard as it is to stomach dropping 3 benjamins on some shades, I was ultimately glad I did it. They're polarized and the lenses are just really nice--they almost seem like a Rx in that they seem to make everything crisp and clear.

Held onto them a little over a year, and then I left them in a rental at LAX

I liked 'em so much I went out and bought another pair, but this time on eBay, and got them for just over half-price and they're like new.

Anyone else?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1Mauis.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	162028  

Old January 19th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I bought a pair of polarised RayBan Wayfarers in December (around $300 in Oz dollars), the first expensive ones I've ever bought. I only wear them for driving & I very carefully put them in the case when I'm not wearing them. They are nice, but it was a bit of an impulse purchase!
DonMI6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Bought prescription Rayban aviators years ago.

Did IT work at a local store of a national chain.

I was shocked at the price of non-script sunglasses.

jaime
ne4tt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 19th, 2013, 07:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I bought some Bolle polarised sunglasses for snow trekking in the Himalayas. Bought them in one shop, went to a camera shop next and left them on the counter by mistake. Owned them for ten minutes.

Bought some prescription sunglasses in Australia - left them under my pillow in my hotel and never saw them again.

Don't buy expensive sunglasses any more - too forgetful!
sir humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

So your story ends exactly as mine has with most of the expensive sunglasses I've purchased --- they pulled a Keyser Soze on me and *poof* they were gone. If not that then they fell off my head/hat and got scratched. I've one set of Maui Jim's I purchased outside of La Jolla CA for about $300 ... they're in the Prius as emergency back-up sunglasses -- scratched like a cat-scratching post.

The last expensive ones I bought were an Oakley set. Keyser Soze is lookin' through them now I guess. Gone.

So at the moment, I'm wearing this set of Oakley knockoffs I bought at a pool supply store for $25. No matter what I do I can't lose 'em or scratch 'em and believe me I've tried. Guess I'm stuck with them.

Oh ... SWMBO ... she's got a sunglasses obsession and there are TONS of high-$ units around the house. Most either have scratches on the lenses making them unusable, or were discarded as being "out of fashion." Keyser Soze also looks pretty in women's sunglasses too, apparently.

Caution: This post is caveated by the fact the Poster may be, in actuality, a MRON.
TeleKato is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I have lots of readers, and sunglasses.
I have lots because I lose, break and scratch them.
I've never spent, nor will I ever spend more than $15 a pair on em'.
I only spend "too much" on wood and wire.
I got my priorities straight!
brookdalebill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe I'm just naive, maybe I just live in Mayberry, but I would think that if you left expensive shades on the counter of a camera shop (sounds like a mom and pop business) they would hold them for you. Even leaving them in a rental car, you would think the porters of the major rental companies would pride themselves in being responsible with the lost belongings of travelers, they know who you are and where you live, it would be very easy to get them back to you.

Anyway, I wear $150 Ray Bans, that's expensive enough to keep me from leaving them anywhere. generally, they don't leave my truck unless I'm on the beach. I don't need to look "cool" walking into the bank or 7-11, I take them off and put them on the dash.

Last edited by Bones; January 19th, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I can't imagine spending $300 for a pair of sunglassess. I have been wearing the same style of Serengeti Driver aviator glasses for at least 25 years, and over that time period I think that I have purchased maybe 9 or 10 of them. Some have been lost, others were broken. The going price online is usually somewhere around $125. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serengeti-Me...item4abfbe8b51 I can't imagine spending nearly 3 times that much, 10 times. That's a lot of money.

Being a guy who always looks for the best deal on everything, I started shopping for the same glasses on eBay. I purchased 3 pair of vintage Serengeti glasses in the same style, made in the USA with Corning optics, for less than $25 each. Now I have a stash that will last for several years, at much less than the cost of one new pair. I have noticed that these same glasses are currently selling for $50-$75 on eBay.

Last edited by CharlieO; January 19th, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
CharlieO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I wear prescription glasses so my sunglasses always cost big bucks. Because of that I haven't had many. They have all been Ray Bans. In fact my regular glasses are Ray Bans right now too. I usually have Wayfarers. They just look good on my face. The pair I have right now are tortoiseshell.
jimd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Maybe I'm just naive, maybe I just live in Mayberry, but I would think that if you left expensive shades on the counter of a camera shop (sounds like a mom and pop business) they would hold them for you. Even leaving them in a rental car, you would think the porters of the major rental companies would pride themselves in being responsible with the lost belongings of travelers, they know who you are and where you live, it would be very easy to get them back to you.
I agree with you Bones... I called the rental company (National) as I was on the shuttle to the airport after dropping the car off just minutes later... I recalled placing them on the passenger seat as I got in the car (had them hanging from my shirt prior to that). It was a very early morning drop off (around 5am) and while I was able to get to the main 800 number quickly, I couldn't speak to someone at the actual LAX location until about an hour or so later right before I boarded my plane.

They took all my info, description etc. Called me later in the day and said they weren't able to find them.

A National employee prided himself on getting a nice pair of shades for free is what I'm thinking.

What really sucked is I got a message from them a couple days later... asking me to call back and describe the glasses. I thought "awesome! they turned up!" I called back and a lady was looking in a bin or something... "nope, sorry, not here."

LMAO, thanks for that!

Old January 19th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieO View Post
I can't imagine spending $300 for a pair of Sunglassess.
Lots of people can't imagine spending $40k on a car, $20k on a wedding, $3k on a guitar, $2k on suit, $150 to see a concert, $8 for a beer, etc etc etc.

Old January 19th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimd View Post
I wear prescription glasses so my sunglasses always cost big bucks. Because of that I haven't had many. They have all been Ray Bans. In fact my regular glasses are Ray Bans right now too. I usually have Wayfarers. They just look good on my face. The pair I have right now are tortoiseshell.
you and me both. i have the red wine wayfarer frame at the moment. i do need a new pair of sunglasses. someone stole them off the bar last year. man, did they get a shock when they put those bad boys on!

back in the early 90"s before my site got worse and i was single, i thought nothing of dropping coin for oakley's or raybans. there just made better,feel better and you get what you pay for.
Brian Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I wear prescription glasses too... and look after them...

I've watched guys buy the latest trendy hip sunglasses... only to lose them over the side of a yacht.... or leave them on top of the car and drive off and they join the roadside junk....

expensive ooops...;)
"by degrees the flood of music drove all speculations out of his mind. It was as though it were a kind of liquid stuff that poured all over him and got mixed up with the sunlight that filtered through the leaves."
trev333 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Broke the arms on my first pair of Oakleys a few times. Got my current pair - more Oakleys - for 200+, around 5 years ago, still have them, so I feel like I've had my money's worth - I'm amazed I haven't lost/broken them.

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have prescription lenses in a moderate $ frame. They are not glasses w/ bifocal lines but like 3 lenses in one. They do nothing well.

If I get prescription sunglasses, I will not pay another $500! Make 'em puppies single-vision and in a frame I like. I have been without sunglasses for 10 years.

The thought of expensive "designer" frames AND expensive lenses makes me cringe. I would love a pair of Ray-Bans, tho.
Bswailes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I saw a dude get mugged for a pair of those folding "Porsche" sunglasses in NYC around 30 years ago.

Dude 1 wanted Dude 2's shades. Dude 2 walked up to Dude 1 and whacked him over the head with a 40. Dude 2 didn't go down first whack so Dude 1 punched him a couple times.

"If you can't wear it after midnight you shouldn't wear it."

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

My daughters partner runs a motorsport team that was sponsored by Maui Jim .We got got quite a few free shades from him .My wife wears them often .I had no idea they were very expensive though I need a prescription sadly so no freebies .I also have some great MJ shirts .My daughter is always losing her MJ's .
musicalmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bswailes View Post
I have prescription lenses in a moderate $ frame. They are not glasses w/ bifocal lines but like 3 lenses in one. They do nothing well.

If I get prescription sunglasses, I will not pay another $500! Make 'em puppies single-vision and in a frame I like. I have been without sunglasses for 10 years.

The thought of expensive "designer" frames AND expensive lenses makes me cringe. I would love a pair of Ray-Bans, tho.
I can't ever keep track of sunglasses and I wear prescription glasses so I don't even risk it now.

This reminds me I need to get new glasses as I have had the same ones since 2008 and not only is my vision worse but these glasses contain more solder than real wire.
willspear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I have a pair of titanium frame Mauii Jim glassses. Very expensive, but well worth it.

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by willspear View Post
I can't ever keep track of sunglasses and I wear prescription glasses so I don't even risk it now.

This reminds me I need to get new glasses as I have had the same ones since 2008 and not only is my vision worse but these glasses contain more solder than real wire.
That's my situation. Hope I don't get cataracts...
Bswailes is offline   Reply With Quote