Doomed ? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 14th, 2013, 04:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Doomed ?

Sun Spots

Great news for the Japan nuke reactors ...

http://www.theweatherspace.com/news/...h-america.html

Wyzsard is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Where's my tin foil hat again...

Old January 14th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

you baked potatoes in it tonight?...;)

no one get's out alive anyway... so yes.. we are all doomed. in a round about way.....

though not doomed like supermarket food with a use by date on the wrapper.... ;)
"by degrees the flood of music drove all speculations out of his mind. It was as though it were a kind of liquid stuff that poured all over him and got mixed up with the sunlight that filtered through the leaves."
trev333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 14th, 2013, 06:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I've been reading about solar flare this and solar flare that for years now, and they sound big and scary...but nothing ever happens. Nothing. That's why we have ozone and atmosphere. The earth is protected from that stuff. For a reason. Because the earth supports life.

End of story. Ok...putting tinfoil hat back on.
Mark V Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Probably be a cool aurora for those in the frigid climes.

Old January 14th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbanana View Post
I've been reading about solar flare this and solar flare that for years now, and they sound big and scary...but nothing ever happens. Nothing. That's why we have ozone and atmosphere. The earth is protected from that stuff. For a reason. Because the earth supports life.

End of story. Ok...putting tinfoil hat back on.
Suggest you look up the Carrington Event. Consider the implications for our modern electronic world.
Ironwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I posted it as a jab at weather men. As their technology improves, the same storm intensities look worse that they did ten years ago.

Anyhow, seems the guy might be a fraud.
http://bigmomma.newsvine.com/_news/2...m-kevin-martin

Old January 14th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwolf View Post
Suggest you look up the Carrington Event. Consider the implications for our modern electronic world.
Interesting bit of history there.

Old January 14th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
I've been reading about solar flare this and solar flare that for years now, and they sound big and scary...but nothing ever happens. Nothing.
Actually they have a profound effect on anything that uses a magnetic compass. Ships, some airplanes, Boy Scouts, sub-surface vehicles like submarines and autonomously operated vehicles. Even affects GPS signals. Make sure you are looking when you make that sudden GPS turn!
"Blues is a natural fact, is something that a fellow lives. If you don't live it you don't have it. Young people have forgotten to cry the blues. Now they talk and get lawyers and things. " - Big Bill Broonzy
telleutelleme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
I'm familiar with it. Nothing happened. It was a thing observed is all. We always have aurora borealis events. There is always a slight hole in the ozone. Weather is always up and down. The sun always shoots off flares , and I do not buy for one second that they affect anything, with the possible exception of radio transmissions from satellites. Even that would be minor.

But we have so called bright people down here telling us that our grid could be knocked out by a really bad flare. Or cell reception temporarily. I'm not a believer that our grid can be affected. We are protected by our ozone.

For me at least it's an end of story thing. But...the powers that be need reasons for raising prices. That's all it is.
Mark V Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
What's your Above Top Secret username?
trousertele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by trousertele View Post

What's your Above Top Secret username?
Hahaha.......ATS, I got booted from there last year, thought I was the only one on here.

Old January 14th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

You're dooooomed!

Old January 14th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbanana View Post
I'm familiar with it. Nothing happened. It was a thing observed is all. We always have aurora borealis events. There is always a slight hole in the ozone. Weather is always up and down. The sun always shoots off flares , and I do not buy for one second that they affect anything, with the possible exception of radio transmissions from satellites. Even that would be minor.

But we have so called bright people down here telling us that our grid could be knocked out by a really bad flare. Or cell reception temporarily. I'm not a believer that our grid can be affected. We are protected by our ozone.

For me at least it's an end of story thing. But...the powers that be need reasons for raising prices. That's all it is.
Re-study. "Nothing happened" because it was in 1859. The most advanced electrical device of the time was the telegraph, and they were seriously messed with. Currents were set up in railroad tracks that were sufficient enough to cause fires. Telegraphers recieved serious shocks and electrical burns. Ticker tapes were set on fire. Telegraphs were able to transmit and receive to and from each other after being disconnected from their batteries.
A similar event today would destroy every unshielded non-tube based electronic device on the planet; even if it was not turned on or even plugged in. All that would be required to set up a destructive flux is a non-zero length cunductive connection. Transformers all over the world (including the big ones that already have years long waiting lists for replacement), would be fried. Basically picture the entire planet returned to the 19th century, and requiring years, maybe decades, to recover. Not a happy prospect. Remember the Northeastern blackout back in the winter of 1990? That was caused by a rather minor solar flare.
Ironwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have been through a few electric grid failures in my life. It's hard on city folks.
Yes it will happen again. So will a lot of other natural events. Worrying about it serves no useful purpose.
Toriginal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I just read NASA's recounting of the Carrington Event. In talking about possible effects of a similar event today, they use the terms "might" and "could". That's substantially different than "would".

Old January 14th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Old January 14th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Wow, it didn't take long after the Mayan calender thing for another doomsday routine to get goin'.

Old January 14th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto'sDad View Post
Wow, it didn't take long after the Mayan calender thing for another doomsday routine to get goin'.
Gotta have something to fret about. (HA! Fret about...get it?.....ummmm, never mind.....)

Old January 14th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I just hope I don't see myself when I go back in time to give myself the answers to that math test I failed in the third grade. Then we'd really have problems.