Your Playing Time: When? How Long? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 12th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Your Playing Time: When? How Long?

Finding time to play guitar is a priority for all of us, but there are other priorities - time with family and friends, work, chores, working out, building and tweaking our guitars, and lots more.

And of course there’s the time we spend reading and posting here, which is pretty cool, and it helps make sure that our Mods keep getting their six-figure TDPRI salaries!

So, when do you find time to play? Count all of your playing time – jams, gigs, alone on the couch, lessons, practicing, noodling, etc.

Me, I play for an hour or so in the mornings, usually before 6:00 a.m. In the evenings, I’ll play for an hour or two.

I also get together with friends once or twice a month to jam for a few hours.

So about 20-25 hours a week.

So - - - What about you? When do you play? How long?

H. Mac is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Every day, about 2-5 hours.
I gig, and rehearse a lot with friends/bandmates/clients.
I gig 2-5 times a week.
Lately, the "gig fairy" has been frowning on me.
Lots of cancellations and worse than usual pay.
Lotta fresh players hittin' Austin.
I work a lot on my singing, which needs it most, and time feel
which needs work, too.
I average 40 hours a week with a guitar or bass in my hands.
As much as I work at it, you'd think I'd be better!
brookdalebill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have owned a guitar of some kind since I was 8, but in the 42 years since I have probably only played even weekly about half of those years. It comes and goes- career, family, life, it all restricts and distracts from music and my other hobbies.

Look at my gear and you can see the history of the periods in my life when I got excited about music and acquired the instruments and amps I own, and the empty years in between when I was busy with other stuff.

Now I am a DINK again- double income no kids- and my time is much more available for my interests. These days I play almost everyday, usually I will load 2 CD's and play along all the way through, backing up to get a riff here and there, skipping tunes that either don't interest me or have no challenge or guitar tracks. Thats usually an hour or more.

I think the real growth doesn't come from just jamming along with the music, my real growth comes when I play solo with my gameface on, trying to nail what I learned on my amplified gear with my acoustic guitar in a quiet room. Maybe 2-3 hours a week.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 12th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Up until my 50's very little because of work and family. Every day now. Kids grown and gone. Family all live a long ways off so no outside pressures. Luxury of getting older I guess. I prefer morning, early and then all day on weekends interrupted by TDPRI breaks and the ocassional chunk of meat the wife throws into the cage.
"Blues is a natural fact, is something that a fellow lives. If you don't live it you don't have it. Young people have forgotten to cry the blues. Now they talk and get lawyers and things. " - Big Bill Broonzy
telleutelleme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I usually play around 3-6 hrs a week at home just messing around learning leads to songs or new leads for old songs.
Our band will Practice 2 hrs a week.
We play out 3-4 times a month our jobs are 3-4 hrs each.
Fenderbender60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Howdy,

Since 1989 my priority's been Chess. In the 80s I played at least an hour per day. Since '89, probably an hour per month.
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

About 2 or 3 hrs a month because I work, then I waste time on the internet.
Warren Pederson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 02:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

From 1986 till last year I played 6 sets a night 6 nights a week for about 50 weeks a year. My problem was finding time to do anything but play.
Originality is just undetected Plagiarism!
cowboytwang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Like others here, since the nest has been empty, I've had more time to play.

For more than 40 years I played almost daily, but it was probably less than an hour a day for most of that time. And apart from playing at church, and the occasional wedding, I didn't play out.

Now I play out 3-5 times a week. Several of the gigs are retirement center venues, and so they're short. All told, about 5-8 hours gigging time per week.

I play most every day, most days 2-3 hours. I don't have a set time; I was ADD before there was such a label, and so I tend to get distracted and antsy. When I'm writing at my computer, the mood strikes and I'll get up and play for a while, usually at least a half hour or so, then get back to the desk.

So on average, I play 20+ hours a week.

The soon to be famous musician/Cranks out Top 40 tunes in a bar/While his mind is somewhere on vacation/Far away from his voice and guitar
Bob Bennett
LGOberean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

As much as possible when I'm in the mood to enjoy it properly.

About eight hours yesterday, with little breaks for food and internet nonsense of course.
ScottieHotrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

well it's hard to say how long each day but "SOME" time very day...generally I practice some of the things that I know are troubling...even if it is for 10 min maybe 4 or 5 times a day.

I have an office in my house, actually in the same room with all my gear, so it's easy to take 5 and pick up an axe...they are all on stands..I look at them while on boring conf calls and such...sometimes I mute the call and pick up an axe, I even listen to the conf call now and then !

I think every guitar player should have a guitar OUT on a stand in the room of the house where they spend the most time in..ok, not the kitchen or the bathroom.. make the instrument very accessible..if it's in the case most of the time..you will not pick it up...you don't have to plug in an electric, just pick it up...

Old January 14th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Most mornings around 3:00, I get my acoustic off the wall, play it a while, then put it in the easy chair, where I grab it up again several times in between bouts of doing dishes, making breakfast, ironing a shirt for work, and showering.

On the days she works, my wife gets home about 8 p.m., so on those days I do the same kind of thing in the afternoon, only with electric guitars and amps.

I keep a couple rigs at school, too, and puddle around with them when I find time, which is not very often, except when I go in very early or stay very late.

I don't know how much time that adds up to, but it's all I have time for, and it keeps me going.

Old January 15th, 2013, 05:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

It vary's greatly from day to day, week to week.

It really depends on my day at work, lately I have been fighting a cold so get home, get cleaned up, and hit the couch where I stay until its bed time.

Most days I get somewhere between 30 minutes to an hour just depending on how tired I am. Fridays and Saturdays are wildcards because if I am not doing anything I may play for 4 or 5 hours.

Old January 15th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Couple of hrs a day usually. Then gigs on the weeked if I'm lucky.
gmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I typically get in about one or two hours every day after work, and more on my days off. In the summer I spend a lot of time in the garage with woodworking and dinking with my car, but when fall and winter come around music is my primary thing.
Frodebro is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

2-3 hours Mon-Fri, Sundays anywhere from 2-7 hrs.
telequacktastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Wake up
Eat
Poop
Price is Right
Play guitar
Eat
Poop
Judge Judy
Play guitar
Yoga
Eat
Poop
Letterman
Sleep

That's about it in a nutshell.
emu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have had a guitar around all my life but didn`t even touch it for about 35 years.
For the last year or so I have been playing every day since I finally have the time.
Lately, it is 2 - 4 hrs a day. in 3 or 4 sessions of 1 half to 2 hrs each.
Progress is painfully slow with little or no direction. This site always motivates me to play after my morning read. It also gives me time to get my arthritic hands working. I just play for fun right here in my solitary confinement situation.
Toriginal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I gig regularly 4-6 times a month weekends mainly. After 30 years (which blows my mind when I say it! has it been that long?) Practice with 4pc. band couple times a month for 2+ hours. Play on my own when time will allow. sometimes I'm noodling on my guitars while talking to you guys. once or twice a week I sit by myself and just play anything that pops in my head. That can go for an hour sometimes two or three. I don't think about time when I'm doing that more about how late it is and how much whiskey have I drunk so far. It all serves to satisfy "the jones". you know what I mean.

Old January 15th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I try to hold to a 2-hour-a-day regimen. At home, when my daughter goes sleeping (after 9 p.m.). More on saturdays, since the work this day allows me to take guittar with me an play up to 5-6 hours if i Feel like it. So about 15-17 hours a week.

I feel it's enough not only to keep Your level, but to progress as well - it's enough time to learn something new everyday, if I feel like it. It used to be 5-6 hours a week more before the birth of my daughter though.
Ron Kirn Barn Buster 0374; Haar Two-Tone Sunburst T-Model with rosewood board; Rebelrelic "Holy Grail" Thinline Esquire; EBMM Silhouette SSS Natural Non-Trem 6-bolt; EBMM Steve Morse Blueburst Stoptail;
Takamine Hirade TH 5 (classical)
KhaykinD is offline   Reply With Quote