BS - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 4th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

BS

So, my Tacoma wouldnt start, just after the wiper arm bushing died last weekend, battery is dead, freaking cold here.
Yesterday, i found a dealer who could take me right away as my usual dealer the service manager would not even answer their phones they were so busy , first day opened after the holidays.
Anyway,of course they didnt have the wiper arm apparatus, so they kept the truck overnight, i'll have it this morning.
Last night i had this nagging doubt, i phoned them and asked are you guys going to cut my gas pedal, he said yes, i said dont, he said he'll put a note, but if its already done its too late.
So i am pissed, i already signed a waiver at my regular dealer, saying i do not want this done.You will remember the putative sudden acceleration of toyota's when the pedal comes stuck under the floor mat. Which was demonstrated to be BS but toyota did a recall anyways for PR survival.
I have 170 000 km on my truck, no way the pedal can get stuck.
Anyways, since i cant sleep i am reading about it, and on forums people are saying that you could be sued if you get in an accident and did not have this done.
Might be less likely since i live in Canada and not the LOL (Land Of Lawyers, USA, sorry about that my American friends).
Anyways, once again the lawyers win, the people lose.

There, I feel better

Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I replaced so many wiper linkages in my life due primarily to people:
1. Forgetting to turn off the wipers when they turn off the car, wipers freeze to windshield lots here in Canada. Car starts, wipers TRY to run, linkage snaps.
It got to the point that if we had freezing rain, I would go to work early and scrape the ice from 12 company cars.
Mine broke on my 2005 Saturn which were made of plastic due to forgetting to turn the wipers off under those circumstances.
I found it extremely odd that the only place I could find the replacement part in metal was Florida.
Free up your wipers first always if it is cold or snowy or as is often the case here in Eastern Ontatio..freezing rain.
Mechanics hands are a lot cleaner than any lawyers will ever be.
Service advisors hands are even dirtier than lawyers.
10 years in uniform and a couple divorces make me spit at the mention of "Lawyer".
psssst I never lost a case.....ever.
Toriginal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

LOL yes i always unstuck the wipers, and always turn them off in case i use the remote starter, though i must say once and only once in my life, the day of the storm last week, not the wiper itself but build up of ice just where the pivot comes out hindered the movement for 10 seconds until i stopped and went and broke/removed the ice, thats probably what did it

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 4th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

it is just a car.
get some sleep.
try not to mix nationalism with your fear that a needless repair is done that won't affect you either way.
One thing I have pondered is... what would they get if 'they' sued you? Do you have sooooooo much that it would really matter? theoretically, your beloved tacoma would be trashed in some sort of accident where some poor soul was killed or maimed, so that would be gone anyway, right?

Everything will be okay (and this from the dreaded place with all the lawyers)...

your car will get fixed and you'll be back on the road and because of your new wipers, you will probably avoid killing anyone and thus avoid a lawsuit for having your preferred gas pedal linkage....

Old January 4th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Got to keep those gas pedal cutter-downers busy, you know

But don't blame the dealer, they're just being told what to do. They know it's a waste of time and money, and that most cases of sudden acceleration are driver error -- just hitting the wrong pedal.

But as you said, Toyota is very reticent to pin the blame on their customers, so they fall on the sword and blame themselves.

It's like when a guest is over and trips then drops his drink on your new carpet. You immediately find every reason in the World that it's not his fault; it's a seam in the carpet, a coffee table you've placed in the wrong place, or something slippery you left on the glass...
tap4154 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Telefied

Well, at least the thread title is right on the money.

Sheesh.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Pedal was cut.

Have to adjust foot position.
I'll live

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

Old January 4th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

At least they didn't lose your van.

Old January 4th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The customer is always right...

One case studied by U.S. regulators involves Myrna Marseille of Kohler, Wis., who reported in March that her 2009 Toyota Camry accelerated out of control and crashed into a building.

Ms. Marseille said in an interview Tuesday that she was entering a parking space near a library when she heard the engine roar. "I looked down and my foot was still on the brake, so I did not have my foot on the gas pedal," she said.

Police in Sheboygan Falls, Wis., investigated and believe driver error was to blame, Chief Steven Riffel said Tuesday. He said surveillance video showed that the brake lights didn't illuminate until after the crash. But Mr. Riffel said that determination is preliminary and that his agency has turned over the investigation to NHTSA.

Based on the black box data, NHTSA investigators found that the brake was not engaged and the throttle was wide open, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Ms. Marseille sticks by her story. "It makes me very angry when someone tells me, 'She probably hit the gas pedal instead,' because I think it's a sexist comment, an ageist comment," she said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...534435744.html
tap4154 is online now   Reply With Quote