Getting Paid - Classifieds, eBay, etc ? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 31st, 2012, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Getting Paid - Classifieds, eBay, etc ?

I have a 73 Country Gent (Chet Atkins signature model) with original frets in a case with a humidifier for approx 40 years as I use a tele & LP for gigs, hardly played it. Always wanted one way back but have too many guitars - is probably a 9.5/10

Am not trying to hustle anyone here and would probably put it on the Gretsch forum classifieds.

1) How do I get paid if I don't want to use paypal and want to avoid any type of fraudulent transaction ? CL clearly states not to use Western Union money orders due to counterfeit problems but I guess a wire transfer of $$$ would work as I can pick it up immediately.

2) Who do I use as a shipper to avoid damage and get decent insurance that will pay off in case of damage ?

3) Having the buyer drive here and pay cash would be ideal - but probably not possible unless I sell it in the Northern states - NY, Vermont, New England etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gretsch.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	158987  

Bartholomew3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2012, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I don't think a wire is too good of an idea unless you're talking bank to bank.

Old January 1st, 2013, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Have him pay you with a money order from the U S Post Office, ship by FedEx.
Tom A. is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 1st, 2013, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

^^^ He is from Montreal.

http://reverbnation.com/downwithugly
tele-bastard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2013, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew3 View Post
1) How do I get paid if I don't want to use paypal and want to avoid any type of fraudulent transaction ? CL clearly states not to use Western Union money orders due to counterfeit problems but I guess a wire transfer of $$$ would work as I can pick it up immediately.
Is there a reason you've ruled out PayPal? It's one of the safest ways of giving and receiving money, particularly for International transactions. It's expensive but it does come with the support infrastructure to protect both buyer and seller.

Bank to bank transfer is perhaps your only option. Develop a rapport with your buyer, speak to him/her on the phone (even if it's an international sale outside North America), check their address on Google maps; Google their name and contact details (other search engines are available ) and feel confident that you are dealing with a bona fide buyer.

I've bought and sold all over the world, mostly used PayPal and never had a problem.

Good luck.

Peter

Old January 1st, 2013, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The main problem aside from shipping (Fedex should be ok) would be the transfer of funds - I wouldn't wire that kind of $$$ sight unseen without knowing the vendor.

Why should anyone trust a guy they never met with no eBay rating ? Maybe I could use my Lawyer or banker as reference.

Up here in the cold white North there's really no market for these things so I may have to start using it live and at least get some benefit. I was also professional in another field (retired CGA), don't need the bucks but also have 6 guitars & can't play them all at once. The case on this thing weighs a ton, I have a bad back from hauling gear when younger and would never take it out in a gig bag.

Regarding paypal...I've read stories about people receiving & signing for goods then claiming they were never received, paypal reverses the transaction without proper investigation refusing to take it further and has poor customer service response. Plus if they can put $$$ into your account they can also debit it out. Guess I could always open a different account for the transaction and yank the $$$ out as soon as received.

The price of GAS one might say...

Old January 1st, 2013, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have actually had pretty good success listing on ebay as pickup only. Have them pay you when they pick it up and you do not have to ship it.

Craigslist should not be a problem, cash on delivery.

If you are going to ship that nice a guitar, I would buy a hardshell case of some sort to put it in. I have shipped a number of guitars and they have all arrived in good shape. They have to really abuse, or completely lose your guitar to really mess it up if it is packed half decent in a good case.
SamClemons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2013, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

+1 Tom A.
oldteleguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2013, 05:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Another thought might be to put it on consignment at the 12thFret ( www.http://12fret.com ) here in Toronto. They have a ready market for items like this. How much is it worth in your opinion? I think they will charge 20% to market it, sell it for you. At least your pretty much guaranteed a safe transaction/sale. I'm just north of Toronto if you needed eyes/ears/hands here.

DW

Old January 1st, 2013, 06:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I would definitely check into all the shipping companies 1st to determine who is going to confirm delivery. I know in the US shipping over seas via USPS only Express mail guarantees the delivery with signature. You really need everything verified and signed for. Like another guy said all someone has to do is say I didn't get it. Paypal can screw with you long after the sale and will favor a buyer with no proof of delivery. Some Canadians use border towns to ship an item in the states or even receive an item.

I'd check prices on shipping a guitar international too. If the thing goes in the air it's going to cost a lot. Packaging a guitar is not very hard to do. You might find a box at a local music store. Basically you want to float the ends and maybe drop styrofoam peanuts down the sides. I float the ends with either styrofoam or folded up bubble wrap. In side the case I try to make sure the guitar isn't moving at all but not to add too much bubble wrap that the case doesn't close properly and or too much pressure exists.

If I was shipping a guitar overseas I'd require signature confirmation. If people cry about price you should counter with how much peace of mind means to all involved. Those who can't understand it's not an insult to insist upon such things but rather to protect everyone involved are not worth dealing with. You might want to think about the idea of driving yourself over the border to ship a guitar if you have to ship to the US. Shipping is probably going to be cheaper. It's amazing how fast rates jump when you start going over a border.

Old January 1st, 2013, 06:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Oh btw if you were to sell on Ebay and you don't have an established seller's account Ebay will hold the cash until the item is delivered. They hold it all. Insane but it's because of so many scams over the years.

Hardest part about selling is exposure. Ebay gets much better exposure compared to Craigslist and Harmony Central.

Old January 1st, 2013, 06:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

You could also try http://www.bluegrassconnection.ca/Bl...n/Welcome.html
boomboomba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2013, 06:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

PayPal or cash + local pickup are the only two I'd bother with, heard of too many scams involving banks and even postal money orders.

Sure there's a risk in getting burned on PayPal.. there's also a risk that the guy that shows up to your house to pick it up will murder your family and rape your dog. There's a risk in everything, but honestly I've been using PayPal for a decade now and it's not quite as bad as people make it out to be.
CrisHendrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2013, 07:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisHendrix View Post
PayPal or cash + local pickup are the only two I'd bother with, heard of too many scams involving banks and even postal money orders.

Sure there's a risk in getting burned on PayPal.. there's also a risk that the guy that shows up to your house to pick it up will murder your family and rape your dog. There's a risk in everything, but honestly I've been using PayPal for a decade now and it's not quite as bad as people make it out to be.
Thing is Paypal and Ebay have evolved..in not the best of ways over the last 10 years. I still use Paypal. I accepted a Western Union Money Order on the last thing I sold. As long as it clears I don't sweat money orders. Postal Money orders are a little better because you can cash them instantly. I process lots of orders via ebay, paypal. It's just once bitten twice shy.

Old January 1st, 2013, 07:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I think I've just had one problem with PayPal, that was back in like 2005 and I was actually the buyer in that case. I usually process 70-100 payments a month as an ebay seller and through my site.

Ebay does suck now though, no doubt about it. Higher fees and less buyers isn't much fun, but will do until a true competitor comes along. As far as the cash in person thing craigslist also works well, you can sometimes get more on craigslist for an item than you would on ebay and you don't have to deal with shipping or fees (you may have to let the item sit there for a while though).
CrisHendrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2013, 08:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRumRunner View Post
Another thought might be to put it on consignment at the 12thFret ( www.http://12fret.com ) here in Toronto. They have a ready market for items like this. How much is it worth in your opinion? I think they will charge 20% to market it, sell it for you. At least your pretty much guaranteed a safe transaction/sale. I'm just north of Toronto if you needed eyes/ears/hands here.

DW
Thank-you for that. By coincidence I'll be in Toronto next week - my kid sister is a Federal Judge and lives there - didn't know about that 12th fret website - may contact when ready as my relatives there are not guitar people.

They were going for approx $4,000 at Gruhn's but that was before the US economic downturn in 2008 - I've seen them on eBay lately for approx $2,600 to $2,950 - still not bad as I originally paid $1,250 with the case.

I'm trying to sell it locally first and would meet buyers at "Smoke Meat Pete's" just off the island of Montreal as I sometimes do the Blues gig there and they have amps on stage.

Gotta love this website!