Sleepwalk – Santo and Johnny - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 26th, 2005, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Sleepwalk – Santo and Johnny

Sleepwalk – Santo and Johnny
Link to a picture =
HERE

In August 1959 Sleepwalk reached #1 on the Billboard Top 40 list.

I got curious about what ever happened to Santo and Johnny so I researched the Web to see what I could find. What follows is no doubt true because it was out there in Cyberspace for me to plagiarize but I’ll give credit where I can so you can go there and consider the source.

Here are some interesting facts about the guys who wrote the song Sleepwalk, a song that has been played officially, well over Two Million times on the airwaves and is still played as many as 1,800 times a year on the radio to this day. It is played in Austin Texas by Redd Volkaert several times a week and hopefully every Saturday afternoon at the Continental Club, always a favorite. Amanda’s favorite song can’t be all bad.

Santo and Johnny Farina were brothers born in Brooklyn, New York, Santo October 24, 1937 and Johnny April 30, 1941. Santo played Steel guitar and he got his brother Johnny to play Rhythm Guitar. You can get a lot of information from here including an mp3 just by clicking in This Link . and This Link with pictures

Sleepwalk was written and performed by Santo and Johnny in 1950’s with the help of their mother. They produced numerous albums, have performed all over the world and have been inducted into the steel guitar players Hall of Fame. In 1976, the duo broke up with Santo continuing to record internationally. Johnny still performs shows and has a schedule posted at Another Link . See a picture of Johnny today at picture

Although the haunting sound could easily be duplicated today, it was highly original for 1959. The record topped the US charts, selling over two million copies, but only made number 22 in the UK. Since then, the tune has become a standard and there are versions by the Ventures, the Shadows and, with words, Caterina Valente. Sleepwalk’s got WORDS source link
Link to a picture of Santo & Johnny=
photo

Old August 26th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

Great post!

However, you might consider fixing the links so they don't make the page a mile wide, see like this to learn how!

Cheers, Tim
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Telefied

Sleepwalk is one of the best songs of all time.

Just like Jimis version of the Star Spangled Banner is an icon for the 60's Sleepwalk is an icon for the 50's.

Everytime I hear Sleepwalk I cant help but think about the girls on American Bandstand in their poodle skirts dancing in a line.
Mark Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 26th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I love that song. So relaxing, it always takes me to good places.

As a side note, I had a TON of fun with it several years ago by converting it into a 4/4 up-tempo jump swing tune. It works great.

Jake
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I remember when Sleepwalk was a hit on the radio. I played that song in my first school-days garage/ surf band back in the '60s, and I've also played it in recent times with blues bands. I don't think this song will ever become uncool.
Glen W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Poster Extraordinaire

Love it, play it every chance I get. :-)

(Super secret opening harmonic lick: shhhhh! Don't tell anyone...) ;-)
G harmonic at 12th fret, "A" harmonic at 7th fret of D string, high E harmonic at 12th fret, B harmonic at 12th fret... then reach back and add vibrato by bending the ringers from behind the nut... oh, yeah. ;-) Hee.

Cool post, thx. :-) CS

"It was born at the junction of form and function." – Bill Kirchen, from "Hammer of the Honky-Tonk Gods"
Chris S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I love that song.

You can really hear how it influenced Fleetwood Mac's 'Albatross'.

Old August 26th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
In August 1959 Sleepwalk reached #1 on the Billboard Top 40 list.
The sad thing is, that was also the last time a steel guitar instrumental made it on the charts.
Originality is just undetected Plagiarism!
cowboytwang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I too have Slept-walked many times

That song hooked me the first time I heard it on a Murray the K compilation LP issued around 1965. (Murray was a 60s NY DJ, the so called 5th Beatle, who also sponsored shows in the NYC area, as well as lending his name to a series of oldies compilation LPs)

I have played this tune in a few bands, and I just love how it takes the usual C-Am-F-G progression and uses an F minor instead of the F major to soften and sleepify the tune...plus it has a great single string-type melody line that's fun to play/practice.

Didn't Santo and Johnny have a follow-up hit, maybe one with vocals?
chipl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2005, 03:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Long URL - Sorry

Quote:
However, you might consider fixing the links so they don't make the page a mile wide, see like this to learn how!

Cheers, Tim
Thanks Tim: Looks like somebody fixed it for me. Thing is it looked okay in my preview browser.

I wonder if in 50 years they will be playing "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" or "Alcohol" (sorry Brad) on the Radio or whatever replaces Radio by then?

Old August 26th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Setzer does a killer version of this on the 1991 Stray Cats disc Choo Choo Hot Fish. Definitely worth checking out.
Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Geo
Friend of Leo's

It was the ultimate slow dance song in it's original time.
I remember listening to that whole Santo and Johnny
LP when it was fairly new.

Larry Carlton did a pretty cool version of it.

Old August 26th, 2005, 05:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

awesome post.

Thanks for that.

My favorite song of all time. What an ear for voicings!!!I finally tracked down an original LP last Winter.

Cool..
purpletele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

GREAT tune !!!

ah, memories....
i remember layin' awake as a 10 or 11 yr. old, on a warm summer's night, window open, slight breeze and my radio on waaay low, mind's eye on a hula girl on a beach somewhere's....

nowadays, i'm livin' onna beach onna island, but no hula girls in sight...just retirees huntin' shells....(sigh)

oh, well.....i got it half right, anyways...

Thanks Chris S for the harmonic thang....i had it figgered out Lenny Breau style, lotsa work !
maestrovert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Has that song.....

....ever been used in a thriller or psycho killer type movie? I've always thought it'd make a good backdrop to a killer plotting a murder/scoping out a victim.

-Eric

Old August 26th, 2005, 11:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Geo
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
....ever been used in a thriller or psycho killer type movie? I've always thought it'd make a good backdrop to a killer plotting a murder/scoping out a victim.
It was used in a Stephen King movie and "Eddie and
the Cruisers". No doubt a few more than those ones.

Danny Gatton did a version of it also.

Old August 26th, 2005, 11:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Re: Has that song.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo Springs E

-Eric
That's very Martin Scorsese of you, Eric.

As for "Sleepwalk," I agree with Mark--even though I wasn't fortunate enough to have been around for the 1950s, in my mind, "Sleepwalk" is the musical idyll for that decade.

Actually, when I was younger and was learning to play, I always loved playing "Sleepwalk" on my Stratocaster, using the vibrato bar to imitate the glissandos and vibrato of Santo Farina's steel guitar melody. And even though I had heard and played "Sleepwalk" countless times and really loved it, I never knew its title for the longest time, which really aggravated me. I remember playing it on my guitar for my parents and other people of my folks' age and asking them what it was called, but, amazingly, no one knew the title. I think I finally learned it was called "Sleepwalk" from an old '50s music compilation LP I heard when I was 13 or 14.

Lost_N_Austin, thanks for the original post. Great thread. And, Chris--thanks a million for the pointer on those harmonics! :D

Joel

Joel Terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2005, 02:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S.
Love it, play it every chance I get. :-)

(Super secret opening harmonic lick: shhhhh! Don't tell anyone...) ;-)
G harmonic at 12th fret, "A" harmonic at 7th fret of D string, high E harmonic at 12th fret, B harmonic at 12th fret... then reach back and add vibrato by bending the ringers from behind the nut... oh, yeah. ;-) Hee.

Cool post, thx. :-) CS
It works great to use the volume knob to do volume swells on those too, makes it even more steel guitar sounding.

Old August 27th, 2005, 03:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've worked on this one quite a bit, and the best I've been able to do is with a Strat whammy. About the time I think I'm pulling it of reasonably well, I hear it on steel and I'm back to thinking I'm sounding lame.

I haven't heard Setzer do it, and would really like to hear Redd's version. I'm thinking this would be a great thread to see a MP3 flood.

So....I strike a harmonic as I grab the whang bar and simultaneously swell the volume knob...have mercy....
Rick S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2005, 04:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
TG
Doctor of Teleocity

Y'know...I'm not sure I've ever heard it. Maybe in the back ground somewhere but I can't bring it to mind.
But I've got Jeff Beck's version and on the StratPack DVD Hank Marvin does it. Nice tune.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote