MSN hotmail to outlook - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 10th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

MSN hotmail to outlook

I have used hotmail over the years and now MSN is moving to outlook for all mail content. I logged on today and found this and that download, upgrade, sign in, etc. I am not going to fool with that, I will just never log onto MSN again. Since when does MSN actually improve anything anyway? They have caused me a minor inconvenience, but I will use other e-mail options.

I read something funny on a blog that said: MSN has never done anything to improve the internet. It might not be entirely true, but it's close. I also read that MSN's goal with the new Outlook service is to have 1 billion users worldwide. Good luck with that!

So, am I off base or on target? Does anyone like the new Outlook vs. Hotmail?

Dan R

Dan R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

If you just go to outlook.com, and log in with your hotmail account, it's just a web-mail client, but with their new Windows 8 (I guess) flat, 2D look. It's different, but I don't see MSN being forced on me.

I still think I prefer gmail's client and integration to the "Drive" (formerly Google Docs) vs. Outlook.com & SkyDrive, but I just don't use my MS email accounts enough to say one or the other is better.

Do not do to others what you do not want done to yourself. - Confucius
still_fiddlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

No big change - just a different look, takes a few minutes getting used to is all.

I use my hotmail account for spam - whenever I need to sign up for something but never want an email from them. Use gmail for personal mail.

MSN may get 1bn users - but 999m of them will probably use it as a spam filter like me. It's just not as good as gmail.

In fact, everything MIcrosoft do is not as good as something someone else does.
sir humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 10th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

My wife and I both have MSN accounts and I guess we deal with things differently. She must have read some message from MSN and clicked something because it triggered hours on the phone on her part as it redirected any msn acct access to outlook.....with no past emails. She was able to get herself back to msn (I guess there's some small button to click to go back). I tend to delete any emails that I don't absolutely know who they're from. We both opened up GMail accounts in case the mighty Microsoft eventually does require a switch. We're both on windows 7 (I just bought a new laptop and opted for an older refurbished one to avoid windows 8). I use XP at work......and am considering buying XP to load on my 7 computer.
Jack FFR1846 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I should have mentioned I have a Mac OS. MSN asks me to update my browser. Rather than try to use their "new and improved" system, I think I'll choose g-mail.

Old December 10th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I had to use Outlook several years back for a work email and I completely hated it. I don't think that I will ever use Outlook again if I could help it.
chilipepper205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I did the Outlook deal, and like it. Works great.
sjtalon is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack FFR1846 View Post
I use XP at work......and am considering buying XP to load on my 7 computer.
Make sure the manufacturer supplies XP drivers before you do that. Check the downloads section of their website.

Old December 10th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
I should have mentioned I have a Mac OS. MSN asks me to update my browser. Rather than try to use their "new and improved" system, I think I'll choose g-mail.
Again, don't go to MSN, go to "outlook.com" (which may redirect to live.com - all "versions Next" of MSFT Hotmail). Change your home page if you don't like MSN! No need to throw out your email address/client until you try it. (I'm not a MSFT apologist - I have those addresses, but Yahoo and Gmail are my main web clients.)

I've tried it on both Safari and Chrome (much better, IMO) on my MacBook, with OSX 10.6.8. No messages about browser incompatibility, but I do accept all the updates I get from Apple and let Google do its thing, I suppose.

I'm not wild about the new, flat look of everything coming from Redmond, but it's not bad, and looks a lot more like Gmail so I'll probably spend some time with it. I *am* reaching the end of my rope with Yahoo's mail service after 14 years. They just seem to be falling behind.

Do not do to others what you do not want done to yourself. - Confucius
still_fiddlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Outlook is what computer pros have used for a long time. Nearly all businesses have used Outlook. Seems like a back to basics move by MSN, with improvements of course. ; )

Dan R

Old December 10th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've been using hotmail for years for one of my email accounts, I like the new format, it's easier to use, their spam filter gets most of the junk mail , I don't see the big deal , how hard is it to sign in?
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Outlook.com is easily the best webmail service I have experienced. It is not the same as the traditional Outlook email program (part of MS Office), but does offer the ability to sync with Outlook.
voodoo_idol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I know countless people who've had their Hotmail accounts hijacked, and as a result, I get huge amounts of SPAM that originate from Hotmail accounts where I was in the address book. Maybe that's why there's a change needed.

I've always used Outlook. I like it. I just wish there was a way to comb-filter incoming mail so that anything that originates from a Hotmail address goes directly to the Delete section.
spellcaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've used hotmail as my main email for years. I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 8 and Outlook is part of that. I don't really like Outlook, but I can still sign in directly to hotmail. One convenient thing is that you sign in to Windows 8 with your msn account number and there's an app for Outlook, so you can check your mail through that without having to sign into your account again.

Old December 11th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Its almost 2013 and there are still people using msn & hotmail?? This blows my mind
CrisHendrix is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Had to hack into a coworkers account and deactivate his skydrive, whenever he sent a document I could not open it, even if he sent it to himself he could not open it. Made it so hotmail sent the actual document and not a skydrive link
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote