You mean ... there really is no reason for this? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 9th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

You mean ... there really is no reason for this?

Well ... one less thing for me to get into trouble on account of the missus!

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...airplanes.html

From the article's opening paragraph:
Based on no evidence whatsoever, the Federal Aviation Administration for years has required airplane passengers to turn off all electronic devices during takeoff and landing. Let the record show that the long list of people who think this is stupid now includes the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, Julius Genachowski.

And also in the article:
The step to allow tablets seems all the more common-sensical given that pilots themselves now use iPads as flight manuals.

Caution: This post is caveated by the fact the Poster may be, in actuality, a MRON.
TeleKato is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I wish they would make people turn of all gadgets during loading and unloading. Not so much for safety...i just think things would go MUCH faster.
Big John Studd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

"This policy isn't just annoying, it's killing our economy" I think this statement may enter the realm of hyperbole :)

Once we clear up this bad science we can move onto the whopper that airfoils create lift because air moves faster over the top.
Peltogyne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 10th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

My guess is the FAA maintains the restriction more to avoid distracted passengers during those periods.
tcadam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Airline "security" seems to be mostly about FUD, and a little bit about security.
LarsOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

What if the signals getted crossed, and the pilots conversation with the tower gets interrupted by some lady discussing how her cat is throwing up hairballs?
emu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by emu! View Post
What if the signals getted crossed, and the pilots conversation with the tower gets interrupted by some lady discussing how her cat is throwing up hairballs?
The only way that could happen is if there was interference on that same communication frequency, which isn't going to happen unless somebody has a 2-way radio capable of transmitting on that frequency, which I would suspect is a violation of a number of FCC Rules. Even if that did happen, there are backup frequencies available for the tower & pilots.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by emu! View Post
That's why pretty much EVERY consumer grade comm or entertainment device comes with the disclaimer that the device adheres to FCC rules that the device may NOT cause any harmful interference, and must accept ANY interference it receives.

Things are specifically built this way to avoid situations like crosstalk on police or airline frequencies. Lots of people like to tell stories about how their buddy's sister's aunt's boyfriend can hear the control tower on his walkman, but they aren't true.

Although I did once have a cheap after-market Kraco stereo in a piece of junk car I owned as a teenager. Every time a cop shot radar at the car, the stereo would go to a blast of static with a high pitched whine over the top of it. Never needed a detector. Nobody has ever been able to give me an explanation of why that happened, but it did. only worked with the radio though. With a cassette in, no dice.
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peltogyne View Post
Once we clear up this bad science we can move onto the whopper that airfoils create lift because air moves faster over the top.
So ... you're buying into the whole "these things are bad during take-offs and landings" science, then, eh?

Caution: This post is caveated by the fact the Poster may be, in actuality, a MRON.

Old December 10th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Cell technology doesnt accomodate signals outside a 70 degree window of the antenna. Plus you have the horizon to deal with. So satellite link is the only way to reliably pass continuous signal.
I hope they never approve cell phones on planes. I'm pissed off enough just having to be on one, much less sitting next to some self important bozo berating an underling on the phone.

Old December 10th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
The only way that could happen is if there was interference on that same communication frequency, which isn't going to happen unless somebody has a 2-way radio capable of transmitting on that frequency, which I would suspect is a violation of a number of FCC Rules. Even if that did happen, there are backup frequencies available for the tower & pilots.
Our beloved, intrepid FCC has been known to instruct the person who is interfered with to shield themselves from the offender. Real watchdogs eh?

Old December 10th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

We lived in the country and did not have cable, and only watched broadcast TV from an antenna. If trucks with CB radios came close to the house and one used it, the TV would pick up the conversation. I don't remember which channel or band you had to be watching.

When I was a teen I had a radio that was a small boombox. One could tune it up to the high end around 107 and could hear aircraft transmissions between aircraft and Atlanta Center or ATL Approach. There is a VOR station a few miles away that is a pivot point for approach to Hartsfield Airporch and one can stand outside the house and watch the jets stream by one per minute toward ATL. I have not thought about this is a long time, and may try that again sometime soon to see if I can hear it.

Airlines and pilots have taken their discretion very far in some instances. I was on an interior flight in Argentina a few years ago and the flight attendant made me turn off my CD player in the middle of the flight. The crew did not want anyone using any electronic devices at all on any phase of the flight.

Old December 10th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarzan View Post
We lived in the country and did not have cable, and only watched broadcast TV from an antenna. If trucks with CB radios came close to the house and one used it, the TV would pick up the conversation. I don't remember which channel or band you had to be watching.

When I was a teen I had a radio that was a small boombox. One could tune it up to the high end around 107 and could hear aircraft transmissions between aircraft and Atlanta Center or ATL Approach. There is a VOR station a few miles away that is a pivot point for approach to Hartsfield Airporch and one can stand outside the house and watch the jets stream by one per minute toward ATL. I have not thought about this is a long time, and may try that again sometime soon to see if I can hear it.
Cool! I can pick up one of the local (DC metro area) TV stations at the end of the FM dial on the factory installed radio in my 1998 Ford truck. And on a clear night it can easily get the big AM blow torches like WSM, WSB, etc.
Big John Studd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleKato View Post
So ... you're buying into the whole "these things are bad during take-offs and landings" science, then, eh?
I'm not really sure what you mean, so I'll answer yes :)
Peltogyne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I fly all the time and I don't believe it's a bad practice regardless of if the reason the FCC uses for it is valid or not.

The older I get the less a lifetime warranty means to me.

My Web Page
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I think they are bad for take off, landing, riding in mass transportation, dinner tables and restaurants, church, school...the list goes on.

Old December 10th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Well, fellas, I think it's a load of malarkey. If there isn't a REAL technical issue why I can't be reading a book on my Kindle/iPad during take-offs and landings -- and apparently if it's a paperback on my knee then that's not against a rule -- then it's BS for there to be a rule.

Don't like me doing it? Think I should be paying attention? That's nice -- it's a free country, have an opinion. But your opinion stops at my nose when what I'm doing REALLY isn't impacting you (other than pissing you off). Me (or my lovely spousal unit) getting whistled out of the pool by the lifeguard (flight attendant) over a rule that is just there 'because' is plain stupid. If you think it causes electronic safety concerns, prove it. Obviously, those who should know about such things don't agree. Your opinion is of no greater value than mine.

If you don't like it, don't fly. But don't make up a reason and a rule to enforce your view of how I should behave.

BTW ... I do believe that the air moving faster over the top of the airfoil creates lift. There's physics that proves that. Kinda different ... ain't it.

Old December 10th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

One potential rationale to preclude people from using gadgets during takeoff and landing would be safety. The crew needs to be able to get the passengers' undivided attention in the event of an emergency to provide info and instructions. A lot of stuff happens on takeoffs and landings.

Old December 10th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsand View Post
I hope they never approve cell phones on planes. I'm pissed off enough just having to be on one, much less sitting next to some self important bozo berating an underling on the phone.
^^^^^^^^^^ this !! - a thousand times this !!!!!
You ain't going anywhere 'til the pilot says so, wait 'til the baggage belt at least before we see how important you are !

Old December 10th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

The White Zone is for loading and unloading. Please load or unload in the White Zone.