Deer hunters...how was your season? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.
   

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.


Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com


Forum Jump


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister
 
TheWalkingWounded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 27
Posts: 312
Deer hunters...how was your season?

This year's season was one of the best ever for my father and I. We had 3 deer by the time we went in for lunch. He shot his buck mid-morning and I got a doe shortly after. We took a break to share stories and clean the deer then headed back to our stands. As I was walking back in to mine, I kicked a small group of deer out of some brush and I thought they headed towards my dad. I got up into my stand and in about 15 minutes the group passed through behind me...all doe. I kept watching that way, guessing a buck would be trailing the doe. I was right and I dropped an 8 point (split brow tine) with a 17" inside spread using my Remington Model 7 7mm-08 (great gun, never had a deer go more than 20 yds after being hit).

Here's a photo of me and my Dad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1988.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	154923  

TheWalkingWounded is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic
 
orangeblossom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Renfrew county, Canada.
Posts: 999
Congrats on a great hunt. I was lucky and got a nice buck 4 days into the hunt. That's a nice rack. Many good meals ahead. Take care. ob.
orangeblossom is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted
 
allen082's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: fort worth
Age: 32
Posts: 1,534
its been way too warm here. I've seen a lot of deer, but not many bucks chasing the women.

I shot a good sized spike a couple of weeks ago. We have antler restrictions here but are allowed to shoot spikes. This one was old and bigger, just had some bad genetics.

Still looking to get a couple more to fill up the freezer for the year.
__________________
"so why ya goin to the airport? flyin' somewhere?" -lloyd christmas
allen082 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting
 

Old December 5th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister
 
TheWalkingWounded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 27
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeblossom View Post
Congrats on a great hunt. I was lucky and got a nice buck 4 days into the hunt. That's a nice rack. Many good meals ahead. Take care. ob.
Thanks, same to you. Have any pics of your buck? Indeed, I recently moved into my own place, so the meat will be much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen082 View Post
its been way too warm here. I've seen a lot of deer, but not many bucks chasing the women.

I shot a good sized spike a couple of weeks ago. We have antler restrictions here but are allowed to shoot spikes. This one was old and bigger, just had some bad genetics.

Still looking to get a couple more to fill up the freezer for the year.
What are the antler restrictions? I'm assuming there must be one for antler height/length if you're allowed to shoot spikes.

A lot of the wildlife management units around my parent's ground where we hunt is restricted to buck only for the first week, but fortunately our unit allows doe to be taken for all of rifle season.
TheWalkingWounded is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted
 
burtonfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: michigan
Age: 48
Posts: 1,064
OP...nice bucks! I bagged a 7 point myself! (no pix)
__________________
He who claims, "...she won't let...", seriously needs to grow a set!
burtonfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic
 
tonedreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Age: 38
Posts: 768
Click image for larger version

Name:	buck2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	154956

Not the biggest one, but we've got meat in the freezer
__________________
"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"
tonedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic
 
J Lacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Georgia
Age: 48
Posts: 870
...
__________________
" As long as they keep making guitar strings and gun powder Im good to go . "

Last edited by J Lacey; December 6th, 2012 at 12:14 AM.
J Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire
 
Boubou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Age: 55
Posts: 6,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lacey
Slow in GA this season. KIlled 3 Does with my Bow and one with a rifle. Our club is trophy only but you can shoot does through-out the season. Our farm has shown no signs of the rut at all....
So, if this is slow, what's a good year?
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister
 
TheWalkingWounded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 27
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedreamer View Post
Attachment 154956

Not the biggest one, but we've got meat in the freezer
That's what matters! And that is an interesting rack...it appears to almost vertical. But maybe that's just the angle of the pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lacey View Post
Slow in GA this season. KIlled 3 Does with my Bow and one with a rifle. Our club is trophy only but you can shoot does through-out the season. Our farm has shown no signs of the rut at all....
Good god, are you feeding an army?
TheWalkingWounded is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
william tele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kansas City, MO
Age: 59
Posts: 3,933
Fellow got this one a block from my suburban home...with his F150
Attached Images
 
william tele is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister
 
TheWalkingWounded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 27
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by william tele View Post
Fellow got this one a block from my suburban home...with his F150
Holy crap! There can be some big ones in suburban areas if they have a little cover to live in since obviously nobody can walk around a suburb slinging lead at deer.
TheWalkingWounded is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Age: 42
Posts: 1,421
Me and my bud both took bucks in SE Indiana during firearm season. Him a 10pt, me an 8pt. Shaved the fur off the back of a fat doe during bow season. Still got tags and bowhunting in SW Ohio to do.
bigben55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
ce24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Idahoastan
Age: 64
Posts: 3,207
Yep filled our tags......got it down......shot,gutted,hung,boned,in the fridge ready to process,disposed of carcass...all within 2 hours. However it was in my back yard..lol Here's a hint how we do our burger......I'm sure many of you know this but we buy a pork shoulder roast and gring it in with the venison......makes great burger. I like it better than just adding suet.

cheers ce24
__________________
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Slackw...21128657913864
www.motagator.net/slackwater
the dude abides....stupid reality again! 5e3/vibrochamp/custom vibrolux reverb/street cube/teal stripe bandit. .
ce24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister
 
TheWalkingWounded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 27
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ce24 View Post
Yep filled our tags......got it down......shot,gutted,hung,boned,in the fridge ready to process,disposed of carcass...all within 2 hours. However it was in my back yard..lol Here's a hint how we do our burger......I'm sure many of you know this but we buy a pork shoulder roast and gring it in with the venison......makes great burger. I like it better than just adding suet.

cheers ce24
I've heard of adding in pork or beef. We've never added anything to it though and I think it's delicious. We do add a little to our bologna though.
TheWalkingWounded is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted
 
allen082's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: fort worth
Age: 32
Posts: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor8287 View Post
What are the antler restrictions? I'm assuming there must be one for antler height/length if you're allowed to shoot spikes.

A lot of the wildlife management units around my parent's ground where we hunt is restricted to buck only for the first week, but fortunately our unit allows doe to be taken for all of rifle season.
The antlers have to be at least 13 inches apart at their widest. It's kind of hard to measure (before you shoot ) so the general rule is wider than their ears in the alert position.

Most of the state has adopted this in the last 3 - 5 years and we are definitely starting to see an improvement in overall antler quality. I'm not big on trophy hunting (i'm in it for the food), but the antlers still look good in my garage.
__________________
"so why ya goin to the airport? flyin' somewhere?" -lloyd christmas
allen082 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hotlanta, GA
Posts: 3,687
This is an odd story of a hunter being robbed at gunpoint while retrieving his keys from his hiding spot under the truck. The perp got the drop on him from behind and he had no opportunity to do anything defensive. He has discussed it in some detail on another forum.

It's something for everyone to keep in mind. I hope he gets his rifle back.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/20...ed-deer-hunter
__________________
I got all my country learnin, milking and a churnin, pickin cotton, raisin hell, and bailin hay
Guitarzan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hotlanta, GA
Posts: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor8287 View Post
Good god, are you feeding an army?
I can easily go through 3 between the seasons. I have quite a few people that want a little of this or that. Moreover, to make some methods/combinations of processing worthwhile, you really need more than one deer to make them work because some muscle groups are common to different processing. I.e., if you want a to save a couple of hams for smoking but want a combination of sausage and cubed steak, etc.
__________________
I got all my country learnin, milking and a churnin, pickin cotton, raisin hell, and bailin hay
Guitarzan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister
 
MReynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: in the sticks of N. Fla.
Posts: 241
@Guitarzan.....he should have "handed" over to him barrel first
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/20...ed-deer-hunter
__________________
About this guitar thing.... "I know enough, to know enough, that I don't know enough."
MReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister
 
JurassicCactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarzan View Post
This is an odd story of a hunter being robbed at gunpoint while retrieving his keys from his hiding spot under the truck. The perp got the drop on him from behind and he had no opportunity to do anything defensive. He has discussed it in some detail on another forum.

It's something for everyone to keep in mind. I hope he gets his rifle back.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/20...ed-deer-hunter
You gotta be really desperate to rob a hunter who is also armed.
JurassicCactus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic
 
waster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
Age: 37
Posts: 737
Season? What is this season you speak of?
waster is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


» Random Photo for Guests
Mr.Don Guitar
Untitled Document



 


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



IMPORTANT:Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult! No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
© TDPRI.COM 1999 - 2014 All rights reserved.