Ebay Buyers...WTF...?? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 23rd, 2012, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Ebay Buyers...WTF...??

I'm fairly new to selling on Ebay. my very first sale got bid up at the last minute and then the little jerk never payed me, never answered my numerous emails. Wasted a week or two then had to re-list the item which eventually sold for about $10 less than the first time. The "funny" thing is that when I did a Google search of the first jerk that never payed, and the second guy that won, they lived five miles apart in the same city. What are the chances of that? Scam?

Also, just sold two more items, and now I'm still waiting for some signs of life from the last winners to make an effort to pay.

I made a sale to one guy, and so far he has not left feedback, even after sending him an email asking if he had any concerns.

Have any of you experienced sellers had a lot of people that win your items and just never pay? I guess a seller cannot leave negative feedback on a buyer now? If so, is that causing the "I don't give a flip" attitude of buyers now?

yz250f49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Don't get me started on Ebay now, but it is not what it used to be...even just a few years ago.
Mark V Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I buy quite a few guitar parts off of ebay and I do admit sometimes I might take a day or 2 to pay but I always do pay and I always leave feedback.
stratofortress is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I got burned a couple of times on eBay. I learned from my experience though. I now put in the listing that I won't accept any bids from anyone who has less than 50 positive feedback unless they contact me first. I also put in my email communication that I am glad they won the auction and will leave positive feedback for them once the payment is made and I would appreciate the same from them when they receive the item. It seems to have worked for me.

Oh and I always add insurance because I was burned on that once too...
afungus amungus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Have never had this happen. All my eBay transactions both selling and buying have been super. I usually try to establish communication on the front end, though.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

As a buyer, I never leave feedback until I receive my item, so perhaps they are just waiting to receive the item. As a seller I leave it instantly. Ebay has really deterred me from selling there due to the new "hold your money for a month or more policy". Someone paypals you and you can even take out the money they paid for shipping, to ACTUALLY PAY FOR THE SHIPPING. Total BS.
mapletop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Never had a problem on eBay and made 100s of purchases. Pays to research the buyer/seller - have they bought or sold similar items in the past etc
sir humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I guess I've been lucky on Ebay -- not many transactions, about 50 in seven years or so. I always pay as soon as I win an auction. I've had about seven transactions which I never received feedback for. That means my feed back shows that I have less than 50. Whenever I receive my item I will contact the seller through Ebay letting them know that I received it in good condition. That usually will prompt them to give feedback. If they don not then I don't leave any either. I've considered leaving neutral for a seller that leaves none, but I don't know how Ebay would feel about that.
Norton72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Read the rules on EBay just so you know. I have over 200 buys and sells, had one or two minor problems over the years....nothing big. Generally you have to give buyer 7 days to pay (unless it's changed)...and even if you say a different number in your listing...you still have to give them 7 days. It's true that people don't leave feedback like they used to, but it's also true that now it's impossible for a seller to hold feedback over your head as a weapon threatening your own feedback...used to be done routinely. If you email and ask someone for feedback that used to be illegal. Why? Because feedback is optional. So no one is obligated to leave feedback. Generally the best thing to do is sell the item, send an invoice. Re-send the invoice at the 4-5 day mark. Wait the seven days and start an unpaid item dispute. Worrying about it doesn't help, just gets you worked up

Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I would advise using an escrow service for anything over a couple hundred bucks. You can add the fee into the auction. Both parties get satisfaction and it is guaranteed payment.
If a buyer is unwilling to go thru escrow beware.
Bellybuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by afungus amungus
I got burned a couple of times on eBay. I learned from my experience though. I now put in the listing that I won't accept any bids from anyone who has less than 50 positive feedback unless they contact me first. I also put in my email communication that I am glad they won the auction and will leave positive feedback for them once the payment is made and I would appreciate the same from them when they receive the item. It seems to have worked for me.

Oh and I always add insurance because I was burned on that once too...
I might start putting buyer restrictions on my auctions now. The first guy that didn't pay had only 13 but was 100 % positive. The others have 100 or more positive, so I don't know what the deal with them is.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I think it's a misconception that Ebay holds funds. I've never had this happen to me. An Ebay support person did tell me that they will sometimes at their own discretion hold funds on newly opened Ebay accounts in an effort to stop the fraudulent sellers...depending on the item sold and the amount.

It is not a standard practice though once you are established.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Hmmmm.....craigslist: Guy makes appointment to show up at my house to buy a guitar. I ask him to call before leaving to both guarantee that I remembered and in case he can't make it. He gets there, looks at guitar, likes it, pays me cash, goes home with guitar.

It's happened everytime I've sold. Feedback? I smile as he leaves.
Jack FFR1846 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton72 View Post
Whenever I receive my item I will contact the seller through Ebay letting them know that I received it in good condition. That usually will prompt them to give feedback. If they don not then I don't leave any either. I've considered leaving neutral for a seller that leaves none, but I don't know how Ebay would feel about that.
Why contact the seller? Why not just leave a positive feedback when you receive the item? I don't understand some of the buyers logic anymore.You think the seller should leave you positive feedback before you leave them any feedback?
flathd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbanana
I think it's a misconception that Ebay holds funds. I've never had this happen to me. An Ebay support person did tell me that they will sometimes at their own discretion hold funds on newly opened Ebay accounts in an effort to stop the fraudulent sellers...depending on the item sold and the amount.

It is not a standard practice though once you are established.
My funds are still being held for a bit, but they did raise my selling limit way up already.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

A buyer HAS to leave feedback???

It would seem to me(never used eBay) that no feedback is better because it means the sale went without problems.

What am I missing???
emu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by emu! View Post
A buyer HAS to leave feedback???

It would seem to me(never used eBay) that no feedback is better because it means the sale went without problems.

What am I missing???
Good point, would you like to buy from a seller with 0 feedback, or a seller with 500 positive feedbacks?
flathd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've been on ebay for 5 years and had well over a hundred transactions, 100% positive feedback and now any time I sell on ebay they hold my funds for 24 days, then paypal for another 6 after the 24.
mapletop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2012, 02:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapletop View Post
I've been on ebay for 5 years and had well over a hundred transactions, 100% positive feedback and now any time I sell on ebay they hold my funds for 24 days, then paypal for another 6 after the 24.
I've been active on Ebay since 1997, mostly as a buyer. I recently decided to sell a bunch of collectables. What a freakish nightmare as a seller. Paypal has been ok as a buyer, being very convenient, but as a seller I hate it. Holding my money for 24 days does suck, even after the buyer leaves positive feedback.

I have decided not to list the rest of my stuff on Ebay.

Ebay fees, Paypal Fees, not even close to being worth it.

I miss the old days when someone would just send you a check.
bossaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2012, 02:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

So which of you complainers were suspended?

Quote:
Accounts newly reinstated after suspension may experience a delay of up to 21 days in availability of funds from all their transactions for a 90-day period.
http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformat...ity_2012b.html