George Harrison guitar app - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

George Harrison guitar app

I saw this article in the NY Times about an app produced by Dhani Harrison (son) that showcases the George Harrison guitar collection. There is a price quoted for the app plus a reference to more guitars being added to it later.

It is mentioned that a number of celeb's got to play the guitars when they are at the "Grammy Museum" in California. Mike Campbell (TP and the Heart Breakers) was quoted a few times and (rather than copy and paste the entire article) gets the last word in:

For all the worship bestowed on the Harrison guitars, Mr. Campbell said his own encounters with the quiet Beatle suggested he was not especially precious about them.

“I was talking to him about how much I loved the guitar sounds on their early records, the Gretsches and the Rickenbackers,” Mr. Campbell recalled. “And he went: ‘Oh, yeah. They were kind of clunky and hard to play. If we had Fenders, we could have been really good.’

Greg

Greg.Coal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Sorry but my computer would not load "this article"I'd like to read it . This Mr. Campbell , Did he ever play on the Sargent Pepper album. I'd like to read what he has to say about his thoughts
LeftyAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Sorry. I tested the link in a separate browser and it worked. Maybe you could search it. Can't help you about the Sargent Pepper's thing, either.

Greg
Greg.Coal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

that's a really cool sounding app, and that quote about if they would have had Fenders is hillarious.... the link worked fine for me on IE9

Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've never experienced a Ric that was clunky and hard to play. Good line though.

P
Phelonious Ponk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk View Post
I've never experienced a Ric that was clunky and hard to play. Good line though.

P
What kind of gauge of strings are you using and what kind of gauge of strings did George use in those days?

Anyway, I hope that they contact Ringo about this, since he owns George's second Gretsch Country gent (George owned three) which was used on a certain televised performance hosted by this character called Ed Sullivan.

THAT would be the guitar that people want to see.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Beatles loved having a bit of fun with any kludge who happened to be interviewing them.
The could have played anything...and they did!
sadams122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2012, 06:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I bought the app and as of now it only has seven guitars. It Lists the songs each guitar was used on and you can buy the song from iTunes. Some of the songs have free samples. Although it wasn't that expensive $9.99 I wouldn't buy it if I had seen it first. I should have done a little more research because I was expecting to see at least photos of his entire collection and maybe stories about certain ones. I did learn that Fender had made a rosewood strat that matched his RW tele. They sent it to Hendrix but he died and they don't know what happened to it.
djphelan01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
What kind of gauge of strings are you using and what kind of gauge of strings did George use in those days?

Anyway, I hope that they contact Ringo about this, since he owns George's second Gretsch Country gent (George owned three) which was used on a certain televised performance hosted by this character called Ed Sullivan.

THAT would be the guitar that people want to see.
No country gent in there. The only Gretsch is his duo jet! The guitars in the app are: Rocky psychedelic strat, duo jet ,Gibson acoustic j160, Ramirez classical, Rickenacker 360/12, RW tele, Zemaitis 12 string acoustic .
djphelan01 is offline   Reply With Quote