Darwin Award......... - Page 2 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

"I will always love you-oo-oo..."

Skullysounds
Skully is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Pittiful View Post
i guess you could say he was...sofa king stupid!
Ha~! Rim shot!
Swampash&Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanoort View Post
I can't believe some people are actually defending the guy's decision to do this!
Sure there are many ways to get you killed, driving a car being one of them, but what he did was plain stupid! The fact that they might have done it hundreds of times before does not change this.
I gotta agree here. Your not taking any saftey precautions, no consideration to the ones that love you and how they must feel right now. Jumping out of a plane is one thing , but you need to get certified , check your gear , yada yada. This was just Completely , utterly dumb . All the kids who would have laughed at that video won't even remember your name tomorrow. Who did you impress? The coroner ? Dip****s. I feel for those Parents. Unless they helped foster this in some way.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I read this, and of course tut tutted.......And then I remembered on a ski trip to Switzerland 25yrs ago (or so!), late one night we decided to toboggan. However the 'sled' we used was a safety crash mattress that we unfastened from the side of the piste. Fueled by beer and the local aniseed liquer, we hurtled at great speed down the slope into pitch darkness, with no means of steering or stopping. Luckily we eventually overbalanced and cartwheeled into a massive pile of fresh snow in fits of laughter. Subsequently there have been a number of deaths reported by people doing the said same thing - normally crashing in ski lift pylons...... There but for the grace.....
Le Jab is online now   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

The good Lord looks after drunks and fools. Up to a point, that is.
tfsails is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:38 PM   #26 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Jab View Post
I read this, and of course tut tutted.......And then I remembered on a ski trip to Switzerland 25yrs ago (or so!), late one night we decided to toboggan. However the 'sled' we used was a safety crash mattress that we unfastened from the side of the piste. Fueled by beer and the local aniseed liquer, we hurtled at great speed down the slope into pitch darkness, with no means of steering or stopping. Luckily we eventually overbalanced and cartwheeled into a massive pile of fresh snow in fits of laughter. Subsequently there have been a number of deaths reported by people doing the said same thing - normally crashing in ski lift pylons...... There but for the grace.....
I hear you......I'd be lying if i didn't tell you about some really dumb **** I've done. We all make stupid drunk decisions at the spur of the moment when young. You just don't realize what could happen.

Whats different here is that this was kind of pre metiaited. Filmed to show off more then anything. Then it gets shown on You Tube , which is where they probably saw it , and several other kids get killed.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:47 PM   #27 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADMAN View Post
+1 where is the consideration for the people in your lives that are deeply affected by your bad decisions
Many years ago, I was driving a full cargo van, and a dog ran out from the side of the road right under the van. I couldn't stop in time, and the dog died. I still feel awful about it. There are times when it comes back to me, and I wonder again whether or not I should have seen the dog coming. Was I going too fast? Was I looking away when I shouldn't have been. Should I have slammed the breaks harder?
I still remember quite vividly the man who came out to find his dog on the road. I remember his tears and his apologies to me, even though I was the one who was driving the van.

I cannot imagine how much worse the memories will be for the man driving the vehicle that killed this boy.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:56 PM   #28 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelnet View Post
Many years ago, I was driving a full cargo van, and a dog ran out from the side of the road right under the van. I couldn't stop in time, and the dog died. I still feel awful about it. There are times when it comes back to me, and I wonder again whether or not I should have seen the dog coming. Was I going too fast? Was I looking away when I shouldn't have been. Should I have slammed the breaks harder?
I still remember quite vividly the man who came out to find his dog on the road. I remember his tears and his apologies to me, even though I was the one who was driving the van.

I cannot imagine how much worse the memories will be for the man driving the vehicle that killed this boy.
Thats a good point I didn't think of. Look at the position you put that person in.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:07 PM   #29 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Geez. Well that was stupid & it's sad he got killed for all involved. He was young, young men do stupid things. That's all.

Surprised by all the 'tsk tsk' commentary here. You guys never drag raced as a kid? Bumper hopped? Raced a train to a crossing?

Guess I hung out with a stupid bunch of risk takers. Most of us made it.
Stubee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:19 PM   #30 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubee
Geez. Well that was stupid & it's sad he got killed for all involved. He was young, young men do stupid things. That's all.

Surprised by all the 'tsk tsk' commentary here. You guys never drag raced as a kid? Bumper hopped? Raced a train to a crossing?
Erm...no!
jvanoort is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:27 PM   #31 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Not as stupid as the guy that died planking.
Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:29 PM   #32 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubee View Post

Yeah. Another "no" here. Young isn't the same as stupid. Sometimes Stupid is just Stupid. If you don't think that Couch Surfing is just plain stupid enough that a freaking adult of >21 years old should know better instead of simply excusing it as a folly of youth...

...just sigh.
Brother Rob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:16 PM   #33 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Ahhhhh .. "Youth is wasted on the young." I've always thought that the life cycle should be reversed. We should be born old and grow young.
horsespatoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:25 PM   #34 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubee View Post

Did it all and then some. One of our favorite things to do on a saturday night was car surfing. We'd take turns standing on the roof of the car while driving around the back roads. It was a blast, but in retrospect, extremely dumb. We just didn't think about it then though. We were kids. We were smart enough to know you could get killed doing it, but never thought it would happen to us. After all, we thought we knew what we were doing.

One of our other favorite things to do was spinning. I had a friend with a step side Checy truck. We'd take it out in the dirt someplace. We'd stand on the steps, outside the bed, and hold onto the roll bar for dear life while the driver did donuts faster and faster until we flew off and went sailing out into the dirt. Nobody ever got too hurt. Just scraped up, dizzy, and really dirty. Looking back I can envision a hundred ways one of us could have been killed doing that, but I never thought of them then.

Drag racing? Don't get me started. Big steel death traps with 400 or better horsepower, nothing but lap belts, no airbags, and usually balding tires was the order of the day when I was in high school.

What about jumping into the lake? We'd get up on the local dam and dive off. It was about 30 feet to the water, which was plenty deep, as long as you got out far enough to clear the rocks. Everybody did. A couple of times I came so close to not making it, it really puckered up my butt, but I'm still here.

My point is that when you're that young, you know you can die, but you just don't think you will. All you see is the positive outcome, and how much fun it's gonna be. I shudder now when I think of a lot of the things I did, and walked away from. SOme of it turns my stomach, especially thinking that my kids might one day engage in similar acts of stupidity. That really scares the hell outta me. But I just didn't see it that way then. I wasn't capable of seeing it that way. That switch in my brain just hadn't flipped yet.
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:36 PM   #35 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
it was probably a pretty big rush until it went wrong...

it beats dying on your sofa watching reality tv....

There's a 3rd option that a couch is good for at that age.

We spent all our waking hours trying to do that one back then.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:07 PM   #36 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

There are a lot of stunts I think are stupid including this one.

But I have participated in organized activities that are dangerous and at some levels life threatening. During the many years of road racing bicycles I saw some pretty awful crashes. I took huge risks in the name of sport, which was really no different than a thrill seeker.
sax4blues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:18 PM   #37 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanoort View Post
I can't believe some people are actually defending the guy's decision to do this!
Sure there are many ways to get you killed, driving a car being one of them, but what he did was plain stupid! The fact that they might have done it hundreds of times before does not change this.

here I thought my grandma was dead! she's on the forum! Awesome!

seriously man, as the song says "its my life and I'll do what I want."

We pick, we choose. You choose to be all responsible and nanny up and do everything right and by a set of rules that you have adopted... and other guys go reach for stuff that makes them feel alive and give them the thrills that make life worth living FOR THEM.

I always feel sorry for the caged bird... some guys are porch dogs and some guys are coyotes... couch surfing would not be the thing that I would pick, but I've done plenty of things that could have cost my life and I would be okay if they had...

NO risk, no reward... if living a life that is lived by your own rules doing what you want to do is selfish... sign me up.

I'm sick of arbitrary rules that other people make for everyone to live by!

Besides, most of the 'safe' people I know, I wish they would try some life threatening stuff and live a little...

Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:19 PM   #38 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eskimo View Post
There's a 3rd option that a couch is good for at that age.

We spent all our waking hours trying to do that one back then.
self inflating?

:twis ted:

Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:22 PM   #39 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post

here I thought my grandma was dead! she's on the forum! Awesome!

seriously man, as the song says "its my life and I'll do what I want."

We pick, we choose. You choose to be all responsible and nanny up and do everything right and by a set of rules that you have adopted... and other guys go reach for stuff that makes them feel alive and give them the thrills that make life worth living FOR THEM.

I always feel sorry for the caged bird... some guys are porch dogs and some guys are coyotes... couch surfing would not be the thing that I would pick, but I've done plenty of things that could have cost my life and I would be okay if they had...

NO risk, no reward... if living a life that is lived by your own rules doing what you want to do is selfish... sign me up.

I'm sick of arbitrary rules that other people make for everyone to live by!

Besides, most of the 'safe' people I know, I wish they would try some life threatening stuff and live a little...
You can't see it from where you are, but you sir, are recieving a standing ovation.
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:00 PM   #40 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

No risk no reward. Ok, that makes sense in certain contexts, but just what is the reward for couch surfing?
Tdub is offline   Reply With Quote