Telecaster Guitar Forum

Telecaster Guitar Forum (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bad Dog Cafe (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/bad-dog-cafe/)
-   -   Magnetism and Electricity... Do you get it?... (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/bad-dog-cafe/314412-magnetism-electricity-do-you-get.html)

jefrs February 20th, 2012 02:16 PM

Yes.

It is called "physics".

winny pooh February 20th, 2012 02:41 PM

If you want to start a book for laymen few laymen finish then A brief history of time is great.

rolling56 February 20th, 2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefrs (Post 3947147)
Yes.

It is called "physics".

hmmm fizzix .....

beach bob February 20th, 2012 03:11 PM

Fezzik? :shock:

getbent February 20th, 2012 03:20 PM

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/pho...07-270-400.jpg

what are you silly people talking about?

If I am travelling in a vehicle at the speed of light... will I still turn you on?

Telesavalis February 20th, 2012 03:21 PM

what's not to get?

Triton Thrasher February 20th, 2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telex76 (Post 3946667)
Aren't we about due for the Earths magnetic poles to flip?
Wonder what that will be like, or will we even notice?

Everybody will flip their guitars like ZZ Topp.

Justinvs February 20th, 2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimd (Post 3946728)
It's been tried using the space shuttle. Not to make music, but to generate electricity.

Space Tether Experiment

And they got so much more energy than they had expected it fried the wires and almost overloaded the equipment they were using.

So I guess it would have been in the key of ARRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHH!

getbent February 20th, 2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justinvs (Post 3947412)
And they got so much more energy than they had expected it fried the wires and almost overloaded the equipment they were using.

So I guess it would have been in the key of ARRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHH!

which is the key of Bb

horsespatoot February 20th, 2012 03:48 PM

At age 6, i jumped up on the bathroom sink, unscrewed the vanity light bulb from the socket and stuck my finger in the hole. After picking myself up off the floor, I had a much clearer understanding of electricity.

gandsfjord February 20th, 2012 03:52 PM

Talking about 'getting it'. In 1863 the Scot James Maxwell sat down with pen and paper and proved, mathematically, that electromagnetic waves - radio waves as we know them - existed. In 1897, 34 years later, the Italian Guglielmo Marconi made an experiment that actually worked according to Maxwell's equations. We still use Maxwell's equation to tune and calibrate advanced radio aerials.

Now that's getting it!

(for those of you building your own speaker cabinets, you may be familiar with the unit for magnetic flux - which is named in honour of James Maxwell)

Edit; because I googled Maxwell to find the link above, I also came across this:
Quote:

Personality
As a great lover of Scottish poetry, Maxwell memorised poems and wrote his own.[59] The best known is Rigid Body Sings, closely based on Comin' Through the Rye by Robert Burns, which he apparently used to sing while accompanying himself on a guitar. It has the opening lines[60]
Gin a body meet a body
Flyin' through the air.
Gin a body hit a body,
Will it fly? And where?
So a guitar player as well. Ladies and gentlemen; we have a hero here!

jeremypodom February 20th, 2012 03:56 PM

magnetism and electricity on a molecular scale are what keeps me from being able to phase through the walls and floors.... curse you, physics!

max_twang February 20th, 2012 04:12 PM

If you'd like a really great explanation, get this book. Wonderfully easy to understand and very humorous explanation of electricity and magnetism.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU01_.jpg

boneyguy February 20th, 2012 04:46 PM

True story....I once accidentally swallowed a magnet and for 2 days my wife used me to keep the shopping list on the fridge. So yeah, I get it.

MonkeyKing February 20th, 2012 05:06 PM

Well, our whole civilization is based on about 5 of Maxwell`s equations -what about the rest of them? ? ? We haven`t even exhausted Maxwell and Faraday yet . . .
Engineers work with fixed variables -they always `get` it - fixing those variables -that can be more arbitrary than we`re comfortable with. Getting the job done? Si!
Total cosmic understanding? Let`s not hold our breath!

RogerC February 20th, 2012 06:43 PM

I don't get it at all. As far as I'm concerned it's all magic. I've tried studying on my own, but I'm evidently more right-brained, so I'm not wired like that (had to say it) and I couldn't even understand remedial stuff. It's something that I want to understand-- just basic electronics, not even the theoretical stuff-- but I think I'm doomed to remain completely ignorant of it all. All I can say for sure is that I know enough not to stick things in the outlets... anymore.

Alamo February 20th, 2012 06:55 PM

I had good use of a Physics book.

It elevated my computer screen to the propper eye level height.

R. Stratenstein February 20th, 2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emu! (Post 3946530)
You know...they (scientists) say the world is one huge gigantic magnet. Electrons flowing from the south pole to the north...or maybe it's from the north pole to the south :confused:

Anyway, what if...one day...the rocket scientists deliver a HUGE metal string into the atmosphere. Then, an astronaut uses a GIGANTIC plastic pick to "pick" the huge string up in space. The string vibrates like a guitar string...and...the earths magnetism gets disrupted like a giant gutiar pickup.

What note would it be?

I dunno, but I'd like to see the amp you need for it. Pedalboard the size of China. . .

trev333 February 20th, 2012 07:59 PM

this Maxwell fellow.... was he the one with the silver hammer?....

a guitar playing switched on kinda Scotsman, that bloke.... figured it all out with a pencil and paper.... under candle light probably...

thanks Max... thanks for the twang...

it's weird though.... current flows from negative to positive... but a negatively charged particle has extra electrons... which want to blast over to a positively charged particle that is lacking in electrons....

negative is more, positive is less?.... mmmm?... I think, I get it...

charlie chitlin February 20th, 2012 08:04 PM

Uh, oh...sounds like Juggalo stuff to me.