I need to make an extra $100-$150 per week. How?! - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 13th, 2005, 06:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I need to make an extra $100-$150 per week. How?!

My wife and I have been thinking about starting a family. Right now we both work. If we had a child we would want her to quit work and stay at home. However, obviously money will be tight. I need to make an extra $100 - $150 per week. Any suggestions? Fortunately, my full-time job ends at 3pm. I was hoping to just work an additional 2 to 3 hours per day and be home by 5:30 or 6:00. Grocery stores all seem to be unionized around here which means I probably have to work a minimum of 4 hours per day, union dues, possible night shifts, etc. etc. Ultimately, I'm willing to do what I have to do. However, right now I just want some additional work from 3pm to 5:30 or 6:00.

Old January 13th, 2005, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

First question:

What is your background? Where do you live?

Can you work as a part time teacher?
Consultant?
At a Hospital in some capacity?
Answering a phone?
Part time Post Office clerk?
maxwidmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

This probably won't get you the hours you want, but I made a butt load of extra dough delivering pizzas part time. I only got $7 an hour, but I got $1 for every order I delivered, and never walked out with less than $40-$60 in tips in a night. And the tips are all cash, so you know what that means. I didn't do it every day, I worked three nights a week, from 6pm-11pm. The best part about it was that I was getting paid to drive around and listen to music. I love doing both, so it worked out great.

Jake
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 13th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Give guitar lessons. In my area the average price is $20 per 1/2 hour lesson. Teach 6 students in 3 hours and you've made $120.
Dana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Dana beat me to it. I teach guitar at my house on Monday evenings from 4:30 to 7:30. At $20 a half hour, I supply all the materials and taylor the lesson to each student's level.

The secret thing about teaching guitar is that the teacher learns, too! My playing has improved a lot since I started teaching but, don't tell anyone I said that.

A friend teaches guitar six days a week. On weekends, he has 1 hour group lessons for only $15 per student. He grosses $1,400 a week doing that.

Gary
DADGAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2005, 12:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
BB
Friend of Leo's

Hi friend....let me tell you about Amway.....
BB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah if you are confident with your guitar knowledge/ability yous hould give guitar lessons, easy money!

Or yu could try organising some gigs for money??

Old January 13th, 2005, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

There's always the gigalo business.

Jim
jwsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakedog
This probably won't get you the hours you want, but I made a butt load of extra dough delivering pizzas part time. I only got $7 an hour, but I got $1 for every order I delivered, and never walked out with less than $40-$60 in tips in a night. And the tips are all cash, so you know what that means. I didn't do it every day, I worked three nights a week, from 6pm-11pm. The best part about it was that I was getting paid to drive around and listen to music. I love doing both, so it worked out great.

Jake
This is what I was going to suggest. This is a great idea. Sure, it might be fun to give lessons, but there's a lot of leg work involved in that....finding students, keeping up with schedules, developing lessons....etc.

You walk into a pizza delivery place asking for a job and they'll have you delivering pizzas that night. Make sure you get the job in the middle of the nicest part of town. You don't want to deliver pizzas on the bad side of town...#1 your saftey...and #2 they won't tip you.

Old January 13th, 2005, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If you go to a music store they can land the students for you. You might make less $$ but it removes the problem of having to find the students and dealing with collecting the money. I've taught out of music stores, and out of my house sucessfully.
Dana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Silly question ... how do you guys get the pizza smell out?
Mr. Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2005, 06:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx
I was wondering that myself. I like pizza as amuch as the next guy, but the smell of old stale pizzas is not exactly what I had in mind when I bought my car brand new.

Old January 13th, 2005, 08:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Then, there's economizing. If you sit down and write out a budget you may find that in a year or two you may not need that extra money. For instance, if you get your credit cards and cars paid off, or you find that you're spending quite a bit on eating out and such, you may find money available. This may not work for everyone, but for some it can.

I know that my wife and I and our two kids got along OK on two part-time incomes for quite a while. We decided to go full time recently because we started needing some things we couldn't get without full time work such as health insurance and we just needed to get a more reliable vehicle for her. It was nice not to have a car payment for a couple of years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Pickup View Post
'tone is in the underpants'
e-merlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

A guy that I work with does grocery shopping for seniors. He got started by printing up some flyers and delivering them to the seniors' complexes in the area. I don't know if he charges a flat rate per order or a percentage of the bill. They phone him with their shopping list and he spends his Saturdays and Sundays picking up and delivering groceries. Depending on where his customers want him to shop, some stores give rebates or coupons if you spend over a certain amount on groceries. He uses them himself for his own purchases.

He actually went one step further and took out a home business license. In addition to making a little money from the grocery delivery business, he can write off some of his household and car expenses because he runs the business out of his house.

Gord.
Gord K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2005, 05:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Thank you all very much for some great suggestions! I might look into the pizza delivery idea. Given the fact that I already work fulltime, I didn't want an additional job that was too mentally or physically demanding. Delivering pizzas I would be out on the road driving around. Perfect.
Extra gigs would be great and hopefully that would happen. But I just couldn't count on it for consistent income.
Even though I've been playing for 20 years and I'm a fairly competent player, I'm not a teacher. So, that's out.
The grocery delivery idea is another one I might look into. Again, like the pizza delivery, I would be working, but I would have "freedom" too.
Thanks again.

Old January 14th, 2005, 10:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-merlin
Then, there's economizing.
I'll second that. I was amazed at how much money I was able to find already there in my household budget. Cut a little here and there and all of a sudden you've freed up some real money.

Old January 14th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Oooooo That Smell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx
I was wondering that myself. I like pizza as amuch as the next guy, but the smell of old stale pizzas is not exactly what I had in mind when I bought my car brand new.
First off, I wasn't worried about it. When I first delivered pizza part time, I was driving a ten year old pick-up truck with 250,000 miles on it. There were worse smells in there than pizza. When I got a new truck, the weather was nice, so I went absolutely everywhere with the window down. (I hate air conditioning and will avoid using it if at all possible, it kills gas mileage, and makes acceleration sluggish.) I found that with the window down the smell didn't take. In the winter, I just got a handy, dandy, vanilla tree air freshner!

I will say, go to one of the big chains. Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, etc. The mom and pops can be more relaxed, but they don't have the business for you to make alot of tips. I worked for the Hut, and aside from a little bit of BS that you would deal with at any dead end, part time job that you need no skills for, (Managers half your age that are on a power trip and are complete idiots ) it was alot of fun. I loved my sunday night shifts, that's the night they do all the pay-per-view wrestlemania stuff, (Very popular around these parts) and on those nights I could usually count on 25-30 deliveries and over $100 in tips. My biggest night ever was some kind of championship match, walked out with almost $280 in my pocket, CASH.

Disclaimer: I do not now, nor have I ever watched professional wrestling.

Jake

P.S.- They pay you $1 per delivery cash, it's supposed to cover maintenence on your vehicle. Save it for that purpose. I went through brake pads and shoes like crazy. A delivery job will beat the living hell out of your brakes. The rest of my truck seemed to fair fine, I just had to remember that there wasn't a hurry, and I had to drive like I would if I were driving anywhere else. My vehicles never got beat down as a result of having a delivery job.
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2005, 12:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
(Managers half your age that are on a power trip and are complete idiots )
Of course, the benefit of having a delivery job as a second job is that when one of those jerks pulls something, you can just hand him back his pizzas, tell him where he can shove them and go home.

Jim
jwsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2005, 02:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durtdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-merlin
Then, there's economizing.
I'll second that. I was amazed at how much money I was able to find already there in my household budget. Cut a little here and there and all of a sudden you've freed up some real money.
BINGO!!!! Geddyleedog, I'll give you a real life example.

My brother was always complaining about money. I visited him once and he said that if he could scrap about $200 he'd be fine. This is what I've found after visiting him:
<li>He'd go to Starbucks a couple of times a day, every day. Then, $4 x 30 = $120/month. Isn't this amazing???? That's only in coffee!!!!!
<li>He'd have premium cable, even though he'd spend most of his time either working, sleeping, or working out. Savings for changing to a cheaper package where about $50.
<li>He was paying $100/month for this very fancy gym. Savings for switching to a cheaper, yet adequate one, $50/month.
<li>We switched long distance phone providers. Savings, $20 month.

Grand Total = $240/month!!!!!

We could've gone through his shopping habits and find at least $100 more, without including dinning out, clothing, and adjusting the thermostat of his apartment. Could he maintain the place at 68 F in winter and use a sweater? I believe that the potential savings are close to $500.

That doesn't mean that one has to eat only bread and water and use only a 15 watt lamp in the bedroom, but we really spent too much in crap. You may find out that you won't need to deliver pizzas.

Go to your local public library and check out "Personal finances for dummies." I highly recommend it. You won't regret it.

Old January 14th, 2005, 07:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Re: Oooooo That Smell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakedog
(I hate air conditioning and will avoid using it if at all possible, it kills gas mileage, and makes acceleration sluggish.)
Actually, (to hijack this thread a bit) I saw something on the tube the other night (may have been 'Mythbusters') that did some testing on that theory.

They found that having the windows in the car down increased the drag and subsequently decreased the gas mileage more than running the AC with the windows up.

Must be true- it was on TV...

-Michael
Charter Member S. Texas He-Man Emoticon Haters Local #316