Who Knew about the torn meniscus.... - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 9th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

Who Knew about the torn meniscus....

My son is a good little athlete. His school basketball team clinched the league championship tuesday night... He was battling a bad cold and we needed to hurry home to take my daughter to play practice (a musical)....

He'd just gotten in the car and as he turned to draw his legs in, he collapsed on the pavement in agony.

My son is a tough kid. Never a crier, I've seen him catch games in 115 heat and play 2 or 3 basketball games in a day... he has "a motor" as they say and is usually the little captain, point guard, catcher, shortstop, pitcher type kid.. so, for him to hit the deck and just completely lose it... I knew it was bad.

We went to our friend the orthopedic surgeon (after having x rays) and then off to the MRI today... His meniscus is completely flapped up in the back... so, we are just waiting for the call for the surgery time...

It is gonna be a long road from what the doc tells us.. He thinks the ACL is okay, but won't know til he gets there....

I've had my share of injuries from sports... it is much much harder to watch him be hurt than to be hurt myself.....

Old December 9th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I am sorry to hear about your son. I tore my left knee medial and lateral meniscus at 19 and again at 30. Hurts like a mother. My knee has no pain at all except in very cold / humid weather. Good news is no knee brace required ( at least in my case ) for sports activities.

Old December 9th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I put a tear in mine in a tennis drill, had it scoped and it's now fine. Arthroscopic works well and if he follows the rehab schedule he should be OK.
Maxwell Street is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 9th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Dang. Sorry to hear about that. My oldest son had a similar sports-knee problem a few years ago. I forget the exact nature of his meniscus injury, but the surgeon just put him on a rehab and recheck program. He never needed the surgery, and he's fine today. I've known a lot of student-athletes who have gone in for the surgery, and after their rehabilitation, they've been fine. Hope your boy gets through this as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Old December 9th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

poor kid. I had a total blowout of my right meniscus in college, playing pickup basketball, on the friday before spring break. as luck would have it, the easter weekend, I was in the hospital sunday-wednesday, maybe thursday. This was 1980, before the slit, snip and stitch technology of today. my leg was laid open for over ten inches across my knee. Bones were ground down, channels dug, holes drilled. There were 4 tubes draining fluids when I woke up, in a hip to toe splint. "Morphine?" "Yes, please." Ahhhhhhhhh-zzzzzz.

I persevered, and got through it, and a couple years later, I was running, delivering pizza.

This sounds familiar, as I've heard about things like this. Just getting into the car and something rips, dislocates or breaks.
bluesfordan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfordan View Post
poor kid. I had a total blowout of my right meniscus in college, playing pickup basketball, on the friday before spring break. as luck would have it, the easter weekend, I was in the hospital sunday-wednesday, maybe thursday. This was 1980, before the slit, snip and stitch technology of today. my leg was laid open for over ten inches across my knee. Bones were ground down, channels dug, holes drilled. There were 4 tubes draining fluids when I woke up, in a hip to toe splint. "Morphine?" "Yes, please." Ahhhhhhhhh-zzzzzz.

I persevered, and got through it, and a couple years later, I was running, delivering pizza.

This sounds familiar, as I've heard about things like this. Just getting into the car and something rips, dislocates or breaks.
Man, you had it rough surgery wise. Mine was four 1/2" incisions, out - patient surgery. Swelled up like a cantaloupe, but I was off crutches in about two weeks.

Old December 9th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by castpolymer View Post
Man, you had it rough surgery wise. Mine was four 1/2" incisions, out - patient surgery. Swelled up like a cantaloupe, but I was off crutches in about two weeks.
I think it was over 6 months before I finally stopped walking with a limp. Knowing what I know now, I could reduce that time considerably.
bluesfordan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I got mine (left knee) done and seriously Bent - major improvement in my range of motion.
I went down in the middle of the office lobby on my way into a meeting with Engineering.

Did he say anything about it felt like a flat stone was lodged inside his knee?

They started to scope mine but ended up cutting instead.
PT always sucks - no way around it.
Jonathan always had the knack of dislocating either his thumb or shoulder around lunchtime.
Made me a lighter Man.
Anyways, Best Wishes for a speedy recovery and a cute therapist!

Old December 9th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I had my medial meniscus fixed two months ago. Three small incisions two below the knee cap on either side, one above. The surgery lasted about 45 minutes and I was home about and hour or so after that. I was on my feet the next day. I was back at work in about a week and a half (I could have probably gone sooner if it was an issue). I have a manual trans. car and it was my clutching leg. I couldn't drive my own car for about 2 1/2 weeks until I got range of motion and strength enough back to where I wouldn't be a danger in an emergency.

The real issue with the surgery is not the joint or pain in the joint, but the damage done to the surrounding muscle from the surgery. The doc. gave me exercises to do while I was laying around. Then it's physical therapy to restrengthen. I am still not 100%, and have some swelling, but I also have arthritis in that knee and he did a lot of additional clean up while he was in there.

It sounds like your son will bounce back quickly. Leg strengthening right away and follow up physical therapy is the key. The weirdest thing for me is the lack of information about what the recovery will be like from the doctor. It really seemed like he didn't want to over or under-state the recovery process. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
jimd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

A torn Meniscus is a sports injury that is all to common. If your son's is flapped they should be able to do it with Arthroscopic Surgery sometimes just rehab works.As far as his ACL they should have a pretty good idea about that just from the examination table, and an MRI would confirm it.
But I will tell you this from here on out if he is a football player, and especially if he is a lineman in a word KNEE BRACE!
My 20 year old son tore his right MCL his senior year in high school he played offensive guard and D end. he just rehabbed and only missed 1 game. The following spring he tore his left meniscus in baseball although the surgeon felt it may have happened in football and it was made worse by the turning involved with hitting and pitching. hHe had it scoped and was back playing in 3 weeks.
He went to college and played football for UW Stout. He played nose tackle for his first to years and was moved to Lt offensive tackle this fall. In early Oct. he sustained a hit to his Rt knee and it required surgery for a torn meniscus,torn patellar tendon, and micro fracture of his knee cap and femur. Needless to say his playing days are over.
The doctor and the coaching staff both advised him to hang up the cleats.
My point being he wore a knee brace after his high school injuries but I feel that had he worn them from the start maybe he would not have sustained the initial injuries which may have made him prone to the more severe injuries in college. I'm no doctor but I would talk to your Dr. and the team trainer and get their opinion.
Your son is young and tough I'm sure he will bounce right back, just please take the necessary precautions so he can continue with athletics. I wish him the best and good luck in school. And to you dad, Enjoy it,the years my son played are some of the best memories I have.
Telefone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

My Nephew had that happen in a pickup basketball game. Rehabbed faithfully and did it all over again a year later. In the interim his brother fractured his spleen trying to jump over a clothesline (kids will be kids, I guess). Rough year for my brother...
Starrman44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

At 43 I had a sever " Bucket Handle Tear to the lateral miniscus, It was excrutiating. I walked on it for a month before I saw a doctor ( no insurance) I had surgery 1 week after seeing the doctor and was walking again pain free within 48 hours after surgery. The key is rehab you MUST rehab the knee properly. It's been 10 years and have never had any issues.

I'd play much better if I knew what I was doing!
scat4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I was in my 40's when I had my orthoscopic knee surgeries, both knees over a few year period. I recollect they put 3 holes in the knee, one for the camera, one for water (to see the image), one for the cutting tool. I had 75% meniscus removed on one, 30% on the other. I was on crutches for awhile from the effect of the intrusive surgery. I feel fine today at age 56.

Second time I was nauseous from the anesthetic they put me out with. Most severe tear probably started from an old softball injury as a young adult. I took a swing at a ball, missed and fell to the ground. It felt like I'd been hit by a bus.

I agree about the rehab. Follow the docs instructions and the injury will heal just fine.
John R. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I tore mine on the driving range. I did not feel "pain", just a cruchy crackling sound that turned my stomach. The guy on the driving range next to me. Turned and looked at me, and asked, "Are you okay?". My leg was folded-up sideways. I stood up, not really sure what had happened, and said, "I think so.". He went back to hitting balls, and I went home.

It took 3 years to get a doc and my insurance to get me some surgery and relief. It is all good now. Mine was the medial and not a full tear, and the surgery was just to clip the torn part away.

Old December 9th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Another guy with a bucket head meniscus tear, and partial ACL tear playing pickup basketballl back in 2000. Totally my own fault, like a dummy I was playin in a game of 21 (aka "rough house") while still wearing my workboots. Played ball all my life and had plenty of bumps and bruises, but that was my only real injury, and I knew it instantly. I heard and felt a pop and instantly thought ACL, cause that's all you ever hear about with football and basketball players. Turns out it was the meniscus, with a partial ACL tear. The funny thing was that "Meniscus" was name of the band I was in at the time...my first band actually.

Couldn't put any weight on it at all, for a long time. Took a lot of rehab to just straighten my leg/knee. One form of therapy was I had to lay on my stomach and hang my leg off the bed to help get the knee straight. Though it's barely noticeable to anyone but me, the muscles in my right leg are still slightly smaller.

When I occasionally play hoops today, I'm much less aggressive defensively. It's still in the back of my mind. Reacting to other peoples sudden movements makes me tentative. It's not so bad if the ball's in my hands however.

Best of luck to your boy. With alotta hard work, he should be fine.
dburns is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

That sucks GB. My daughter just had an MRI on her knee, thankfully was just a bone bruise. I've had my share of injuries and surgeries (including torn meniscus) but it about broke me up seeing her lay in that snortin' and spittin' MRI machine... those of us with kids, at least me, would trade places with them in a heartbeat.

I hope your son has a full recovery. MAKE SURE HE DOES HIS PT!!!

Old December 9th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcole_sooner View Post
I tore mine on the driving range. I did not feel "pain", just a cruchy crackling sound that turned my stomach. The guy on the driving range next to me. Turned and looked at me, and asked, "Are you okay?". My leg was folded-up sideways. I stood up, not really sure what had happened, and said, "I think so.". He went back to hitting balls, and I went home.

It took 3 years to get a doc and my insurance to get me some surgery and relief. It is all good now. Mine was the medial and not a full tear, and the surgery was just to clip the torn part away.
I tore mine playing intramural flag football at 19. I planted my foot to make a cut and my knee popped like a beer pop top from 1975. The second time, I got my foot pinned while carrying a large vanity top. Tried to twist my knee to get my foot unstuck and " snap, crackle and pop." The noise was enough to make a billy goat puke.

Last edited by castpolymer; December 9th, 2010 at 09:35 PM.
castpolymer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Best wishes to your son, Getbent, and you and your family.

Two of my kids have had sports injuries that needed surgeries. Kids shouldn't need surgeries. Both recovered pretty well from the injuries, but then had to recover from being athletes. I'm a different kind of sports fan than I was. But still, Go Ducks!

Old December 9th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

Ouch!

Keep us updated.

"She's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead." - The Munchkin Coroner
Buckocaster51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Sorry to hear it. He'll be just fine...
TJNY is offline   Reply With Quote