X-Box or PS3? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 28th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

X-Box or PS3?

I'm thinking of getting a gaming console, and rather than ask in a gamer forum, I thought I would ask the real-world folks in here.
What should I get? X-box or PS3?
I want something that my wife and I can play together. Years ago, we had a lot of fun playing Burnout on X-Box at her sister's place. We like 1st-person shooters, such as the Unreal series, and I like racing games, such as the Need for Speed series. Can either of those be played by two people at the same time?
Anyway, what would you recommend?
(I have no interest in hearing all about the evil Microsoft, just opinions about the consoles.)

kelnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

We have both in our house. I know absolutely nothing about them but the kids seem to prefer the PS3.

My gut says anything Sony makes is probably better than anything Microsoft makes. (I know you didn't want to hear this... but...)

jkingma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The PS3 will also play Blu-ray discs.
tele12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 28th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

PS3 mate, I've had both, XBox has a better legacy library, but PS3 is yet to hit 'full swing'.

true most games are still at 720, but the free online services, the additional media offerings etc, for me make it a better deal and a lot of ps3 exclusives are now coming through as well...

If your looking for a ridiculous library of games Xbox, if your looking for something a little future-proofed then PS3, just my opinion of course, also hook it up to a nas and use it as a media server in your main/games room, brilliant, mines has access to all my music, pics, guitar vids etc... ideal solution for me.
LennyEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Xbox rules with my kids but they break all the time. PS3 is reliable. If you get a xbox 360 buy it from Best Buy and get there warranty. When it breaks you can walk in a get a new one. Otherwise you are stuck shipping it to MSFT to fix. My buddy who is an responsible adult has gone through 6 of these - all replaced for free with his protection plan he purchased with them at best buy. I have replaced 2 of my kids with this protectio plan.

Overall I think kids like the 360 better..you get better selection of games and the coveted Halo series. I myself don't play console but stick to computer games or game actually - World of Warcraft. But be warned if you try WOW you will become addicted and have no life out side of work, guitar and wow.
jwayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I've got an Xbox 360, and have been happy with it.....though my first Xbox died on me after 3 years. I also enjoy Xbox live, and have had good results doing multiplayer stuff (Left 4 Dead, GTA Liberty City open map stuff), though I am not much of a multiplayer guy.

On the other hand, if you don't already have a blu ray player, PS3 has one, and Xbox does not.

I also have a Wii, and am very happy with the games that I have played on it....
beez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

X-box is probably the better "video game system," but the PS3 has so much more to offer. I use mine all the time as a Blu-ray player, upconverting DVD player, picture viewer, and music player system...but rarely for games.

Oh, another neat feature is you can download movie files off the internet and play them through a USB memory stick. The PS3 will improve the perceived video quality of those files to make them look better.
homerzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The NFS series can be played by two players, however, it's a race against each other.
I believe PS3s are better for first person shooters, except for Halo (as mentioned above).
Whichever console you get, BUY THE WARRANTY!! Good hunting.

dp
deepea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I have a PS3 and love it.

PS3:
+ better games on the horizon than Xbox
+ free online play
+ bluray player
+ best upconverting dvd player on the market
+ more features for the $$

XBOX:
+ much bigger library
+ better online services, but you have to pay.
- horrible reliability

Both do netflix streaming.
Both get the best 3rd party games.
Both have very desirable exclusive titles.

Both systems have MANY first person shooters.
Each has a top shelf exclusive racing franchise- Gran Turismo is only on PS3 and has a new one coming out soon.
jmaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

If you just want something for casual gaming (which it sounds like you do), then get an Xbox 360. It's cheaper and has a bigger selection of games, as well as a more comfortable controller.

Sure the PS3 has advantages, but for a casual gamer it isn't worth the extra money.

Old December 28th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

My kids (two boys, 15 and 20) are both heavy in the xbox 360 camp. They are gamers from way back and have had every console made. (yes, even aAtari 2600's and 7800's and even Turbographix 16..). My oldest says the PS3 is the way to go, but he likes the 360's online gaming, etc. etc.

I would say of those two go Sony.
BUT...

here's my 2 cents....the best hand's down game system for fun interactive multiplay is the Wii. I LOVE my wii....yeah..it's childish, blah blah...and my kids laugh at the graphic capabilities...BUT for multiplaying fun for children of all ages..you can't beat it. Seriously!
Most of the best games take advantage of the motion control, etc. so there is very little learning curve for anyone (even your old grandpa...) to just grab a controller and play. Truly the best "party" game console ever. My wife and I and my youngest son often bowl, or play ping pong or frisbee-golf with it together and have a blast. Before the Wii my wife didn't even like video games.

One of my Christmas presents this year was "Wii Ski". (basically you play around a virtual Ski Resort, using the balance board as skis and a controller in each hand as poles.) My calves were sore as heck the next day from hitting the "slopes"...seriously...

-

Old December 28th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

PS3!!
TJNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

J-Man, yeah, it we are just casual gamers, so the lower price of the X-Box has its appeal.
The better reliability of the PS3 might turn the table, though.
Mojohand, we have the Wii, but don't really use it all that much. I got kind of bored with bowling and tennis, and I haven't found a good 2-player shooter. I probably just need to look more.
I play a lot of PC games, but I'm tired of new games eventually outstripping my PC's capabilities. Is it true that X-Box never needs upgrading? I know about adding a hard drive, but is it still using the originial processors?

Old December 28th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwayne View Post
I have replaced 2 of my kids with this protection plan.
What did you replace your kids with?

Old December 28th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Ps3 online play is free. So if it is 100 bux more you would be even after 2 years with xbox live/ plus the Blu ray player on the ps3 is good. I use it for netflix streaming too. It isnt a native app like xbox but they will send you a netflix disc. Xbox it voids your warranty to upgrade the harddrive, on the PS3 it is a user serviceable item and you can pretty much use any 2.5 in hard drive you have lying around.

Old December 28th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelnet View Post
J-Man, yeah, it we are just casual gamers, so the lower price of the X-Box has its appeal.
The better reliability of the PS3 might turn the table, though.
Mojohand, we have the Wii, but don't really use it all that much. I got kind of bored with bowling and tennis, and I haven't found a good 2-player shooter. I probably just need to look more.
I play a lot of PC games, but I'm tired of new games eventually outstripping my PC's capabilities. Is it true that X-Box never needs upgrading? I know about adding a hard drive, but is it still using the originial processors?
I recently bought a 360 Elite and it only cost me 20 for an extended warranty.

Consoles never require upgrades, but in every generation of consoles they tweak the design every so often and put the update into production without advertising it.

For instance - the very first incarnation of the original Playstation had a CD drive that rivals anything found in high end hi-fi equipment. But every subsequent version had a different, inferior drive.

I believe the Xbox 360 has a different CPU than the earlier models.

Old December 28th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vampyre- View Post
Ps3 online play is free. So if it is 100 bux more you would be even after 2 years with xbox live/ plus the Blu ray player on the ps3 is good. I use it for netflix streaming too. It isnt a native app like xbox but they will send you a netflix disc. Xbox it voids your warranty to upgrade the harddrive, on the PS3 it is a user serviceable item and you can pretty much use any 2.5 in hard drive you have lying around.

You get what you pay for with the online play - Xbox Live is by far the better.

I really like the fact that you can purchase PS1 games from the PS3 online store, though.

Old December 28th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
tdu
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-man View Post
If you just want something for casual gaming (which it sounds like you do), then get an Xbox 360. It's cheaper and has a bigger selection of games, as well as a more comfortable controller.

Sure the PS3 has advantages, but for a casual gamer it isn't worth the extra money.
See, I think the PS3 is actually better for casual gamers because they are likely to get use out of the Blu-Ray player as well. For the price of a Blue-Ray player, you get a game system as well.
tdu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdu View Post
See, I think the PS3 is actually better for casual gamers because they are likely to get use out of the Blu-Ray player as well. For the price of a Blue-Ray player, you get a game system as well.
But not everyone wants a Blu Ray player, in which case it's money wasted.

If you want a Blu Ray player then the PS3 is a great deal, but if you don't it's overpriced, even a few years after its release..

Last edited by J-man; December 28th, 2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: grammar
J-man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I'd recommend the XBox360 for playing games. Much broader game library across all genres of games as well as ESRB ratings (kids "E" to mature adult "M"). PS3's library of games is more heavily weighted to mature violence. XBox also has a broader selection of downloadable content (games). Reliability is a cr*p shoot IMO - Both systems can overheat. Better games on the horizon for PS3? Nope, take that comment as pure opinion.

If you want a BlueRay player.... well, the PS3 is a better deal then.

Both systems can access netflix to stream in movies - which is very nice. Good luck with your decision!