Typical cost to ship a guitar within U.S. - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 20th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Typical cost to ship a guitar within U.S.

I saw the post a bit further down the page about shipping a guitar, but wanted to post this question as its own thread.

Ballpark, how much does it cost to ship a guitar within the U.S.? I've got an oldie I'm thinking about selling online and would like to figure shipping (or at least a portion of it) into my asking price. I'm probably looking at 11 or 12 pounds guitar + case.

I've bought and sold smaller items online (pedals and stuff), but never anything of this size.

pistolsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Telefied

Since your in the middle of the USA around $25-50 depending on where its going.

Go here and use the shipping calculator pop in a few different east coast and west coast zip codes and some okla ones and see what you get I always use 2 day priority.

http://www.usps.com/

Old March 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

When I sell a guitar on eBay, I charge a flat 50 bucks. I've gotta go get a box(35 miles round trip), pack the guitar, drive to the Post Office, then pay for shipping, and I always insure the guitar for a little more than its worth. A 1000.00 guitar gets insured for 1100 or so. Sometimes I come out ahead on shipping, but figuring time, gas money, packing supplies, I usually break even, or lose a few bucks. But everybody's (usually) happy.
dobrodoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 20th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Flat rate of $50 is what I charge......more if its got a hard case and going west.
Hollmanp90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I always charge a flat rate of $29. I have a completely paranoid idea that really high flat rates scare off or bother bidders.

I just shipped an Eastwood P-90 Special in a molded rectangular hardcase from Milwaukee Wisconsin to central Utah for $14.50. Included in the $14.50 was $350 worth of insurance.

I figure that if I make a choice to sell a guitar, I'm not going to stick it to the the buyer because I needed a box. I have a whole week during the ebay auction to stop at a guitar shop and get a free box. I guess that it's as big of a deal as you make of it.

Back to shipping.....

Go to this web site....

http://www.fedex.com/us/newcustomer/

Fill out the new customer form and you'll get a FedEx Shipper number. You'll have to give them a credit card number to hold. They will bill that card when you ship something from any FedEx-Kinkos store.

New FedEx registered customers (like you) get an additional 20% off every shipment for the first three months.

A. You get a lower rate as a registered FedEx customer with your own shipper ID number
B. You get the 20% off deal for three months

My initial 3 month period is long gone but again.......I just shipped a 16 pound guitar box from Wisconsin to Utah with $350 worth of insurance for $14.50.

If you use ebay, list a flat rate of $29 or $28.50 so that it sounds calculated and fair. You'll get more attention. I've used free shipping with a high buy it now and I've sold guitars in 12-24 hours.

I paid $399 for my Eastwood and I had a rectangular plastic case that I got free with a Melody Maker (I bought a better fitting case for the Melody Maker).

I listed the Eastwood at an opening bid of $275 with $29 shipping. I added a buy-it-now of $350 with these words....Buy-it-Now includes FREE SHIPPING!

I had the $350 in my paypal account withing 24 hours....someone jumped at it. If you take the $14.50 true shipping cost away from what I made selling, the cost of ownership of the Eastwood came out to $399 - $350 + $14.50 = $63.50. $63.50 to own the Eastwood for over a year.

Don't go nuts with high shipping charges, just get people to bid!

Good Luck,

John

"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Frank Zappa
studio1087 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio1087 View Post
I always charge a flat rate of $29. I have a completely paranoid idea that really high flat rates scare off or bother bidders.

John
I don't know if I'll be selling on eBay, but if I do, I'll probably take that advice (a lowish set rate for shipping).

What I'm really thinking about doing is selling on a site like this (although an Ibanez specific site, as that's the type of guitar I'm thinking about selling). If I go that route, I'm inclined to think I'll just figure a bit of shipping into my asking price. On site's like this, Jemsite, TGP and the like, it seems rare that one sees Product Price + Shipping. It seems more common that you list one price, shipped and paypalled.

Old March 20th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

By the way, thanks for all the input. I appreciate it.