Padlocks vs. Boltcutters: a non-criminal question - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 26th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Padlocks vs. Boltcutters: a non-criminal question

Anybody have experience with padlocks that CANNOT be cut with boltcutters? I need to purchase some for my trailer doors, as I will be leaving all my musical stuff in there for the winter. I've seen circular locks...is the idea there to not allow enough room for a boltcutter to get to the lock? Also, I keep reading about hardened steel padlocks...does this mean a boltcutter cannot cut through?

Thanks for any help

emu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry buddy, you either have to fabricate a box to go around your padlocks so they can not be cut with bolt cutters, or use some other sort of internal locking system.

All good locks will be made of hardened steel, but this does not make them uncuttable.

We had to weld special boxes around all of our gates and doors with padlocks in the mines to keeps thieves and fourwheeler riders from simply cutting our padlocks.

Those circle looking locks make it harder for bolt cutters, but Ive seen them cut before. Also, battery powered reciprocating saws will pretty much cut through anything these days, and thieves are becoming better equiped everyday. Even a sledge hammer or sturdy rock will bust most locks or at least bust the hasp off the door.
Colt W. Knight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I saw a You Tube video that showed a guy opening locks just by using a beer can that he cut a approx 1 inch square piece of tin from the can.He then rolled it around the male portion of the lock and pushed it into the female portion and guess what??Yep
Talk to a Professional locksmith and either pay up now or Later. Good Luck!
Post Toastie is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 26th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

What kind of trailer do you have?Does it have Windows?Aluminum siding that can be cut through with a butter knife?
Post Toastie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

have a look at these. there is no shackle to be cut. these are used on all commercial vans and trucks in NYC, and other big cities i'm sure. i have this setup on my trailer and i have never had to worry about anyone getting in by cutting it.

http://www.masterlock.com/apps/catal...rcial|security

Old November 26th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicolli View Post
have a look at these. there is no shackle to be cut. these are used on all commercial vans and trucks in NYC, and other big cities i'm sure. i have this setup on my trailer and i have never had to worry about anyone getting in by cutting it.

Ive never seen one of those before, how does it work? Cand it go on a normal hasp, or does it need a special one?

Old November 26th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt W. Knight View Post
Ive never seen one of those before, how does it work? Cand it go on a normal hasp, or does it need a special one?
it might fit a normal hasp, but its meant to go with the second link i posted, that hasp makes it hard if not impossible to pry on it. there is only just enough room to put the key in the small opening in hasp side. if my trailer wasnt in storage about 2 hours from where i live right now i would take some pics of setup.

Old November 26th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

look at this main page link, it shows what the hasp/lock setup looks like on van doors.

Old November 26th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

i forgot to mention, what type of trailer doors do you have? this setup wont work on a single rear door that swings open or the ramp type, its good for split door setup and side doors.

Old November 26th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by emu! View Post
I need to purchase some for my trailer doors, as I will be leaving all my musical stuff in there for the winter.
I don't know what part of the country you live in, but I can't imagine that being good for the equipment at all, much less guitars.

You can't park the trailer in your garage or unload the stuff to the den or something?

Old November 26th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Bit of a language difficulty here - what do mean by trailer? Is that a static mobile home or a portable trailer that can be towed behind a car?

If it's the latter then I'm thinking that securing the doors of something that can be towed away may not be enough. Perhaps erecting a wall or fence and parking the trailer so that there is no access to the doors and then removing the wheels would be better.

If it's the former then I'm assuming that it is going to be left unattended for a lengthy period of time. Apart from the security risk, is it also safe in terms of temperature etc? Is the trailer your only option?
pengipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

You can get locks costing 90 quid that cannot be picked or opened with a beer can and will break bolt cutters but can be opened with a pair of hammers or a 50p tile-cutter in about ten minutes. The professional thief has even taken to using air-tool angle grinders. A portable drill will take the bolts out of the hasp in no time. The idea is to slow the oiks down and draw attention. But why jemmy the car lock when they can break a window... alarums.
jefrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

My Dad used to say "Locks only keep honest people out."

Old November 26th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Don't waste your money on a padlock. If it's a trailer of any sort then even taking the wheels off, installing a towball lock or padlocking the trailer to an immovable object won't stop a determined thief! I know from experience cos I had a boat and trailer disappear from a secure and guarded marina several years ago!

And as others have pointed out, if the trailer's going to be outside over winter then you run a serious risk of damage to anything stored inside through condensation/ice/etc.
Del Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post Toastie View Post
I saw a You Tube video that showed a guy opening locks just by using a beer can that he cut a approx 1 inch square piece of tin from the can.He then rolled it around the male portion of the lock and pushed it into the female portion and guess what??Yep
Talk to a Professional locksmith and either pay up now or Later. Good Luck!
Getting off topic, as usual, a cop once showed me how to start a car with a screwdriver. Not very practical knowledge to a mostly law-abiding guy, but I used it in a short story.
rextasy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

A thief, given enough time, can get into any "secure" space.

You can freeze a lock and hit it with a hammer. Or the lock could be so good that the thief can attack the hinges instead. I once saw a back door to a bar that was cut in two width wise, just below the handle so that they just had to push the bottom half of the door in and crawl in.

If you don't want your stuff stolen, sleep with it.
Telarkaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for all the replies.

While it is very true a thief can get into anything if he/she really wants to, I am mostly concerned with the bolt cutters, because bolt cutters seem to be so quick and silent to use. I guess I could rent a pair of bolt cutters and try them on a few superior padlocks (I googled pad locks and read that pure boron padlocks are supposed to be superior to bolt cutters).

As far as leaving the equipment in the trailer during the winter months, I would think it is no different than equipment sitting in the back warehouse of most music stores around here. You know, no heating, no humidity control. I wouldn't leave my guitars in the trailer, just the PA speakers, PA amps, and guitar amps.
emu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

When I worked in the coal mines, I saw thieves and trespassers use just about everything to beat a lock or gate.

If you put on a lock, they cut it. If you built a box around the lock to prevent bolt cutters from getting in there, they either jerked it off with a chain or used a cutting torch.

If we built it large enough that a cutting it with a saw or torch was impractical, they rip the door or gate down with a truck and chain.
Like Casterway said, a lock just keeps honest people out.

What I really hate about welding a box around a lock is bees. Bees always get in there and make a nest. You ussually don't know they have done so though until you stick your hand up in there to unlock it.

Old November 27th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

There are battery powered disc grinders readily available and a 5" grinder with a cutting disc will go through any padlock in seconds and the noise most likely won't attract any attention it will be over so quickly.
Clive Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I had a nice trailer, it got stolen, the next one i'll take the wheels off!
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote