Fender "Talon" guitar? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > General Discussion Forum > Bad Dog Cafe
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Bad Dog Cafe Hershey's Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum -- but NO POLITICS and NO FIGHTING. NOTE: Discussion of guitars other than Tele & Strat belongs in the "Other Guitars" forum and discussion of Music belongs in the "Music to Your Ears" forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 23rd, 2008, 09:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Fender "Talon" guitar?

Found this in the "local" online classifieds. I had never heard of this guitar. Not at all interested in it, but interesting nonetheless. The Fender Talon?

Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I think it's one of the Heartfield guitars. In the late 80's Fender had some deal with a Japanese company and there were three or four weird Fender-ish type guitars. This is the most "metal" looking one I've seen--the others reminded me of those Hamers with P-90's. Several had active electronics--onboard distortion and such. Some said "Fender" on the headstock, some said "Hearfield by Fender" or something like that.

http://web.wt.net/~jsilva/hrtfld.html

"Many people believe that the induction of the Heartfield Series was Fender's answer to Ibanez during the '80s-'90s metal craze. While this may be true to some extent, I don't believe this to be entirly the case. The Talon Series was obviously put into production to compete with the Ibanez line. As a matter of fact, they were identicle to the Ibanez and they were even made at the same factory in Japan, all of the Heartfield series was.

The Talon's were by far Heartfield's most widely marketed guitar and it is obvious that this particular series were put into production and mass marketed to compete with Ibanez. If you look at the specifications of the other series Heartfield produced, I'm sure you'll agree that an Ibanez/Heartfield rivalry was not Fender's sole intention. The EX Series and the Elan Series were no doubt directly competiting with Fender's cashcow, the Stratocaster, PRS, and Gibson's Les Paul. These two series consisted of very beautiful and well crafted instruments. The EX Series had a very interesting pickup configuration that I have yet to see repeated still today. The Elan Series is kind of a cross between a Strat and a Paul Reed Smith. The RR Series was a little lower scale, but nice guitars in their own respect. The RR-8 and RR-9 have some very innovative active electronic features and provide a wide variety of sound options for a single pickup guitar. Overall the RR series remind me of the Les Paul Jr., but with a Fender feel in the neck. It's hard to explain with words, but if you've played one you would know what I mean. "
tiktok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

$1000.00 new my ars

I bought a new Talon III, real Floyd double locker Dimarzios, rear loaded at Sam Ash in 1991 0n sale for $245.00. I think that one retailed for $599.00.

The one on the right:

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Ah the Talon, one of Fender's "Right-guitar-wrong-brand" ventures.

The Talon was part of Fender's Heartfield range with which they tried to give themselves a more contemporary image. At that time the Ibanez RG 550 series was a widely popular guitar and was seen in the hands of many famous player, the Talon was meant to attract attention from those guys by offerring a similar body style and similar hardware such as a Floyd Rose vibrato and Dimarzio pickups. The wry thing here is that the Heartfield series were made in the Fuji-Gen factory in Japan which also produces Ibanez, so the RG 550 and the Talon were made side by side.

However, the Heartfield series were deemed a failure because of bad timing on fender's part because the Grunge era exploded around that time leaving no demand for guitars like the Talon whasoever. But the Heartfield series also failed because of how UN-Fender the designs were. The Talon was but one but you also had the Elan which basically was a Fender-made PRS copy.

A Fender Elan

And then there was the EX which again tapped heavily from the Charvel/Kramer/Ibanez fountain at the time.

Perhaps the strangest of all however was the RR series, which combined built in effects with a simple single humbucker set up.

But if you want the full lowdown on the Heartfield series, you should go here:

http://www.heartfield-central.com

Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Well isn't this interesting! I'd never heard of these before until a couple days ago. I'm parking the car in front of the music store and I can see thru the window what looks like some sort of Ibanez-y looking thing. It's new in the store so I head right to it to see just what it is and it's a Heartfield. Just a little note saying Made in Japan in the 80's but no reference to Fender at all.
This one was a double P90, mahogany body in a sort of LP Jr TV yellow showing the grain. Very cool looking. Active p/u's, Gotoh tuners, trem. Looked like a good solid build.

I plugged it in and it sounded just fine. I hunted around for an allen key and gave it a quick set up on the spot. Anyway it was gone within a day. I believe they were asking $599 or there abouts for it. Pretty cool guitar I thought.

Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I thought they were all basswood...

Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
I thought they were all basswood...
It sure looked like mahogany to me but you could be right. Maybe I hallucinated mahogany because of the LP Jr resembleance.

Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyguy View Post
It sure looked like mahogany to me but you could be right. Maybe I hallucinated mahogany because of the LP Jr resembleance.

Did it sound like mahogany ? [ducking]

Old September 24th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Did it sound like mahogany ? [ducking]
It did have mahogany overtones and yet an undertone of basswood, although it tasted like maple and felt like baby seal. Strange!!

Old September 24th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyguy View Post
It did have mahogany overtones and yet an undertone of basswood, although it tasted like maple and felt like baby seal. Strange!!
Funny, the one I tried tasted of elderberry and felt more like an otter...

Cheers, Tim
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Armstrong View Post

Cheers, Tim

That's otterly ridiculous Tim!

Old September 24th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Armstrong View Post

Cheers, Tim
Why I otter....!!