B-bender lessons - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > B-Bender Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

B-Bender Forum Bend your mind around the TDPRI's B-Bender Forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 7th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

B-bender lessons

Outside of Doug Seven's course (which is great), any recommendations on learning how to use this blasted thing (B/G bender)?

“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.” - W.C. Fields
mattcouch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Will Ray has a tutorial DVD and I think Forrest Lee Jr. also has one.

Old December 8th, 2013, 12:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Listen to Clarence White on the numerous Byrds recording from 1968-1973… Get Amazing Slowdowner and study those recordings… forget TAB
BrianF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 9th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Youtube videos best teaching tool around

Look for Forrest Lee JR, Bob Walford one the first and best b bender users played with Linda Rondstat, Everly Brothers,
Bernie Leadon of Eagles, Albert Lee, Clarence White, Marty Stuart, Jimmy Olander .
RBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Matt - get the Byrds Live at the Fillmore as a primer.

I have a Hipshot B/G set up on my Tele and the Doug Seven video is the only instruction I have at the moment. Furthermore I was in exactly the same place as you about a year ago.

The advice I got here in the Bender Forum was to not over use the bender... add it tastefully to solos I already knew just to get acclimated. I took the advice and good advice it was, now that I'm comfortable with it I pretty much try just to tastefully add bends here and there where I think they'll work as apposed to trying to sound like a Pedal Steel. If possible I'd recommend getting started on your own without the DVD. Once you feel a bit more comfortable then maybe cop a few licks from Doug's DVD.

Lastly, I mostly use the B-Bender and find it more affective/useful than the G-Bender/Palm Lever. I have the G-Bender/Palm Lever set for a full step bend (G to A) and mostly use it as a one string capo when "cross-picking across a chord that an A note works against (B7, D, F, Bm7, and so on.)

Hope this helps a little.

Old December 9th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Yep I agree with RBrooks and Ray_G …

Also.. I mentioned forget TAB… I rethought that….In my case since I learned by transcribing the licks and solos etc from Clarence and Bob W recordings… I wrote down what I learned in TAB as a way of not forgetting what I had learned. Somehow writing things down helps 'program' it into my memory.. Now I never go back and read any of it, (or play any of it exactly as I transcribed it) but the parts that you learn become part of that amalgamation of things you can use as your on…just like learning any guitar technique.
BrianF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I am planning on putting out an instructional DVD in early February. It will cover beginner to advanced bending, AND it will contain complete TAB and slowed down video walk-through's of 2 of my solos - the "acoustic B Bender Bounce" and another solo I am finishing up on acoustic and Tele.

Old December 10th, 2013, 01:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianF View Post
Listen to Clarence White on the numerous Byrds recording from 1968-1973
+1. The bootlegs from New Paltz and Hollywood Bowl are still keeping me busy...after 2 years of trying....

Old December 13th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks so much everyone! This is great!

“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.” - W.C. Fields
mattcouch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ontheB View Post
Will Ray has a tutorial DVD and I think Forrest Lee Jr. also has one.
I'll have to agree on the Will Ray course. I have a VHS tape of it but I'm sure it's available on a DVD. You can listen to someone's recordings all you want but it doesn't compare with setting there and watching someone do the bender moves and licks, seeing what fingers go to what strings, what fret positions are used, etc. etc. Will Ray uses a HipShot B-Bender but it doesn't matter what bender you have, it works on any of 'em.... JH in Va.

Old December 15th, 2013, 01:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Hollywood Bowl
I think you mean Hollywood Palladium. that one is a head-spinner.

I recorded it from the foot of the stage. It was SCARY.

Old December 24th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Palladium is the one...Yup, my bad....thanks again for the copy....

Old December 29th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Brian is also being modest - he has put together some great tab that's available on the Clarence White forum for nothing.

But I absolutely agree that taking The Byrds "live at the Fillmore", "Ballad of Easy Rider" and "Dr.Byrds & Mr. Hyde", Linda Ronstadt's "Hand Sown & Home Grown" (with both Clarence and Warford on it) and "Heart Like a Wheel" (for Bob's "Willin' solo, probably one of the best bender examples of all time and most-copied) & Herb Pedersen's "Lonesome Feeling" (with Bob all over the place) and using Amazing Slow Downer will teach you more than 50 packaged lesson videos, CD's whatever.

These recordings (plus others, but these are easily purchased) are essentially the bedrock on which bender playing was based - not that later lesson materials aren't good, but IMO most have become derivative - and almost all lack the unusual timing..the "hanging in space"...notes that both Clarence and Bob invented (and Bob's still playing!).

One side note about "Fillmore" - that was very early in Clarence's bender use, and I think even he would say he overused it a bit, as he was still discovering things. Taking that playing, nailing the touch & timing, and holding back about 1/3 will get you up near the top of the heap!

Old January 1st, 2014, 04:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Gene Parsons & Bob Warford recorded a private-issue instructional LP in the 70s. I tracked down a digitized version online, and it's been a huge help. Obviously listen to anything and everything by Clarence White and Bob Warford, (also check out Albert Lee's and Al Perkins' PullString work) and watch footage of Marty Stuart who has appropriated a lot of Clarence's licks and has a nice "feel" for the Bender.
hummingbyrd13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2014, 06:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I'm a country player mostly. Both my primary guitars have b-benders. I have a tele with a parsons/green and one with a b and w. For country I use it mostly for the basic bends, I have tuned to raise the b string a whole step. Bending the 2nd to the 3rd, 5th to the 6th and the b7 to the root. Also the reverse by prebending and releasing the same intervals. When I'm playing blues I use it mostly to bend the 4th to the 5th. You could start by just using these bends in licks you already play. I have noticed however that when I'm in GC and pick up a Nashville b-bender tele it's usually tuned for a minor third. Not sure how it's used tuned like that. Maybe to bend the 5th to the b7 or the root to a b3.

Good luck and happy bending.
guitarmann13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2014, 08:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
I have noticed however that when I'm in GC and pick up a Nashville b-bender tele it's usually tuned for a minor third.
You actually have ANY stores with benders in stock?

I haven't seen a single one in the LA area in 5 years except for Pull Strings Dave placed in a couple boutique stores. Never seen a Nashville bender in a store between here and San Diego - ever.

Old January 2nd, 2014, 09:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverface View Post
You actually have ANY stores with benders in stock? I haven't seen a single one in the LA area in 5 years except for Pull Strings Dave placed in a couple boutique stores. Never seen a Nashville bender in a store between here and San Diego - ever.
I'm in the Dallas area. The closest GC to me is about 10 miles away and they usually have one in the store. I bought one there last year. Got a good deal at the end of the year and 12 months interest free financing .
guitarmann13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2014, 11:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Another vote for Will Ray! And listen to The Hellecasters!
bendecaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Never understood why nobody has ever done a lesson dvd of nothing but Clarence licks and solos.
threadbare is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2014, 10:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadbare View Post
Never understood why nobody has ever done a lesson dvd of nothing but Clarence licks and solos.
Watch marty Stuart
Chet Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote