Middle Pickup?? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.
   

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > B-Bender Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

B-Bender Forum Bend your mind around the TDPRI's B-Bender Forum.


Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com


Forum Jump


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 12th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
moleng1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 54
Middle Pickup??

Hi all, I'm new to telecaster.com, and I'm bringing home a 2012 Fender Nashville B-Bender this weekend....................

Also being a Harley guy, I'm sure you must understand my need to make this new addition my own, so mods are in store!! Small one's include a vintage mint green pickguard and aged tan chicken neck control knobs.

Now for the question, can the middle strat pick up be made to operate on it's own? Is there any benefit to having it operate by itself like the neck and bridge pups can??

Thanks for any input, appreciated

__________________
Some people are like slinkies.............
They"re really not good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs
moleng1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity
 
waparker4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 11,202
Neck Pickup:

American Standard Single-Coil Tele®

Middle Pickup:

Texas Special™ Single-Coil Strat®

Bridge Pickup:

American Standard Single-Coil Tele®

Pickup Switching:

5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup, Position 3. Middle Pickup, Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup, Position 5. Neck Pickup

Pickup Configuration:

S/S/S

Controls:

Master Volume, Master Tone
waparker4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
moleng1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 54
Thanks for the reply waparker4, but the middle position on the 5 way switch operates the bridge and neck pups, not the middle alone............... at least that's what the Fender service diagram states??

http://support.fender.com/service_di...8342C_SISD.pdf
__________________
Some people are like slinkies.............
They"re really not good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs
moleng1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting
 

Old June 12th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
OlRedNeckHippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Jersey - USA
Age: 58
Posts: 2,091
I thought the same mod was necessary Before I actually got my Nashville, but after having it and practicing/giging with it for 3 months, I've changed my mind. It has such a wide range of tones as it is, I won't be moding it for quite some time. It's wonderful, right out of the box.
__________________
.
Huntin, Fishin, NASCAR & Country Music - Life's Good!

https://www.facebook.com/ATCoBand
OlRedNeckHippy is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity
 
waparker4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 11,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by moleng1 View Post
Thanks for the reply waparker4, but the middle position on the 5 way switch operates the bridge and neck pups, not the middle alone............... at least that's what the Fender service diagram states??

http://support.fender.com/service_di...8342C_SISD.pdf
Weird!

I like the middle pickup tone on a strat, a lot.

As much as the tele bridge pickup? I don't know.

Personally, I would probably like the neck/mid position least, and might consider changing that to middle only, which would be easy

But get to know the guitar as it comes first!
waparker4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
moleng1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlRedNeckHippy View Post
I thought the same mod was necessary Before I actually got my Nashville, but after having it and practicing/giging with it for 3 months, I've changed my mind. It has such a wide range of tones as it is, I won't be moding it for quite some time. It's wonderful, right out of the box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waparker4 View Post
Weird!

I like the middle pickup tone on a strat, a lot.

As much as the tele bridge pickup? I don't know.

Personally, I would probably like the neck/mid position least, and might consider changing that to middle only, which would be easy

But get to know the guitar as it comes first!
Thanks to you both for the input, this bender thang is all new to me, and I can't wait to get it home this Saturday!!

Probably wise advice to try her as is, but I was just wondering if the wiring "could" be done to retain the stock 5 way and add a middle only in some way??
__________________
Some people are like slinkies.............
They"re really not good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs
moleng1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
OlRedNeckHippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Jersey - USA
Age: 58
Posts: 2,091
Wow, that's interesting.
The B-Bender and the Delux Nashvilles are wired differently, according to the Service Diagrams (thanks Moleng1). The Delux middle position is middle pup only and does not have a Neck and Bridge setting, the B-Bender middle position is Neck and Bridge, and it does not have a middle only setting.
Gotta wonder why.
__________________
.
Huntin, Fishin, NASCAR & Country Music - Life's Good!

https://www.facebook.com/ATCoBand
OlRedNeckHippy is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire
 
Mike Simpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
Age: 58
Posts: 7,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by moleng1 View Post
Thanks for the reply waparker4, but the middle position on the 5 way switch operates the bridge and neck pups, not the middle alone............... at least that's what the Fender service diagram states??

http://support.fender.com/service_di...8342C_SISD.pdf
The Nashville I had (sold it the neck was too thin) was not wired like that and mine had no neck + bridge position like the center on a standard Tele 3 way. I would guess that they changed to this diagram after all the complaints about having no neck + bridge position.
Mike Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
moleng1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Simpson View Post
The Nashville I had (sold it the neck was too thin) was not wired like that and mine had no neck + bridge position like the center on a standard Tele 3 way. I would guess that they changed to this diagram after all the complaints about having no neck + bridge position.
I figured that most long time Tele players would want the neck/bridge setting, as most Teles do have this setting.

Not even sure if the mid pup would sound good on its own, but if I can retain the stock setting and add the option, I'd like to try it.
__________________
Some people are like slinkies.............
They"re really not good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs
moleng1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
moleng1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 54
Here is the American Nashville Deluxe service diagram, and it does indeed have a middle pup only setting, but no bridge/neck pup position?? Strange!!

http://support.fender.com/service_di...0_02B_SISD.pdf
__________________
Some people are like slinkies.............
They"re really not good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs
moleng1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
jmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ohio
Posts: 2,400
On my Strats, I use a push/pull pot to turn on the bridge pup when I need it. That way I get all the standard switch positions/combinations, plus bridge and neck, and all three pups when I pull the pot.
jmiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
moleng1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiles View Post
On my Strats, I use a push/pull pot to turn on the bridge pup when I need it. That way I get all the standard switch positions/combinations, plus bridge and neck, and all three pups when I pull the pot.
So could I use a push/pull to just operate the middle pup?? Wonder how I would wire that?? Sounds like what I'm looking for.
__________________
Some people are like slinkies.............
They"re really not good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs
moleng1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
Guitarist4u36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Forsyth, Mo
Age: 46
Posts: 31
I have one of these myself. Great sounding and playing guitar. These particular model guitars are wired with what Fender calls the "strat-o-tele" setup. This allows you to get both of the most desired Strat sounds (neck/middle & middle/back pickup configurations) while also allowing you to achieve the standard "tele" 3-way type switching configurations as well. Otherwise, with "normal" 5-way switching, you're basically getting the same combinations as a standard Strat. By adding a pull pot or a separate toggle switch, you could add the option of the middle pickup by itself, or you could re-wire it like a standard 5-way, but it's kind of a different beast because this guitar doesn't use a standard 5-way switch as you might think it would. It's a totally different designed 5-way switch and the contact blades are different. You would probably need to swap the switch out for a standard 5-way. I was in the same boat when I got mine....thinking about changing it around to typical 5-way with a Pull pot...because that was what I was used to...but the more I play it, the more I like it as is. Good luck and enjoy your new guitar!!!
Guitarist4u36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
moleng1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist4u36 View Post
I have one of these myself. Great sounding and playing guitar. These particular model guitars are wired with what Fender calls the "strat-o-tele" setup. This allows you to get both of the most desired Strat sounds (neck/middle & middle/back pickup configurations) while also allowing you to achieve the standard "tele" 3-way type switching configurations as well. Otherwise, with "normal" 5-way switching, you're basically getting the same combinations as a standard Strat. By adding a pull pot or a separate toggle switch, you could add the option of the middle pickup by itself, or you could re-wire it like a standard 5-way, but it's kind of a different beast because this guitar doesn't use a standard 5-way switch as you might think it would. It's a totally different designed 5-way switch and the contact blades are different. You would probably need to swap the switch out for a standard 5-way. I was in the same boat when I got mine....thinking about changing it around to typical 5-way with a Pull pot...because that was what I was used to...but the more I play it, the more I like it as is. Good luck and enjoy your new guitar!!!
Thanks for the reply, I did find, through a little searching, this post.....

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/just-pick...uestion-2.html

Which pretty much gave me everything I needed to know, seems it can be done, and still retain the stock B-Bender set up, as well as an alternative second set up using a push/pull to add a middle only position on the 5 way (along with the other stock settings).

Very interesting read, and the attached website on the post is a wealth of wiring knowledge!!
__________________
Some people are like slinkies.............
They"re really not good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs
moleng1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
jbmando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Plymouth Meeting, PA
Posts: 4,898
I'll tell you when I get mine, but the Specs all say that the middle position is the middle pickup. That diagram (dated 8-1-2000) is the only place I have seen that the third position gives you the bridge and neck pickups together. I actually think it will be cool if mine is wired that way.
__________________
"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann
"Resentment is like drinking poison and hoping it will kill your enemies."~Nelson Mandela
jbmando is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
moleng1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 54
I'm hoping its wired for bridge/neck!! If not, I'll have to find a way to wire it that way!!
__________________
Some people are like slinkies.............
They"re really not good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs
moleng1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
jbmando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Plymouth Meeting, PA
Posts: 4,898
Back in the 90s I had a Japan Squier Strat with a Hot Rails stacked HB in the bridge and two push/pull tone pot switches which turned on the bridge pup when ever it wasn't on or split the coils of the Hot Rails. I had eleven tones if I remember right.

HB and switch down:
Bridge HB
Bridge HB/middle
Middle
Middle/Neck
Neck


HB and switch up:
Bridge HB
Bridge HB/middle
Middle/Bridge HB
All three w/HB
Neck/BridgeHB


SC and switch down:
Bridge SC
Bridge SC/middle

Middle
Middle/Neck
Neck

SC and switch up:
Bridge SC
Bridge SC/middle
Bridge SC/middle
All three w/SC
Neck/Bridge SC


Pretty cool guitar.
__________________
"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann
"Resentment is like drinking poison and hoping it will kill your enemies."~Nelson Mandela
jbmando is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire
 
Mike Simpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
Age: 58
Posts: 7,644
My 3 P-90 Tele is wired like a Strat with a standard 5 way switch and has a push pull sw on the tone pot to get n+b, I prefer it wired this way.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/just-pick...ml#post2569696


Last edited by Mike Simpson; June 12th, 2013 at 11:36 PM.
Mike Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister
 
smokeygills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 168
I use this on my own Nashville deluxe tele and highway one strat. Neck + Bridge with the flip of a switch. Simple install too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stratocaster...item33794167d6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-757528474.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	185228   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-579437235.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	185229  
smokeygills is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
jmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ohio
Posts: 2,400
"So could I use a push/pull to just operate the middle pup??"
Sure! Easy as could be. Two wires and the P/P pot. Find where the "hot" lead from the pup goes TO the 5-way, and solder a wire from there to the pot's switch. From the other lug on the pot, solder a wire to the output of the 5-way switch.
jmiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

/td>

» Random Photo for Guests
'62 CIJ Reissue w/5E3 Deluxe
Untitled Document



 


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



IMPORTANT:Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult! No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
© TDPRI.COM 1999 - 2014 All rights reserved.