Hipshot G palm lever - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > B-Bender Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

B-Bender Forum Bend your mind around the TDPRI's B-Bender Forum.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 9th, 2005, 03:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hipshot G palm lever

I use Hipshot B-bender on my tele and I wish to try Hipshot G palm lever. Is anybody uses it?
Is it convenient for the right hand?
Thanks.
Best regards from Russia.

teletwanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have one on my Strat.........

I have one on my Schecter Strat and I like it a lot! I don't like the length of the thing though, I've had a couple of them over the years and I always cut the lever off until the end of it is about 3/8" behind the bridge. There's still enough leverage for it to work easily and it can be tightened in that position. It comes with a long lever which has to be folded down out of the way (like a Bigsby vibrato) when not in use or you can't palm mute at the bridge. Another fact you should know! If you're thinking of adding one to an existing HipShot unit you'll have to brace the cross bar. If you just slide it on next to the B string lowering bar and put the G string through it and then depress the hip lever, the G string will go flat. What happens is the crossrod flexes.! When a unit is ordered from HipShot with the G lever already installed, they put a screw through the bottom of the unit directly into a threaded hole in the bottom of the crossrod. This eliminates the flexing. What you can do if adding the G lever is get a small piece of aluminum or very hard wood and make a cradle like block you can slide under the rod. It should be very tight so it can't slide out and this'll eliminate the problem.......JH in Va.

Old August 9th, 2005, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

thanks for answer, but one more question

Thanks for answer. I think that I order another Hipshot for my second tele with G palm lever already.
But one more question. I don't use E-D toggle. Can I remove it without problem for G palm lever like I did with standart Hipshot?
teletwanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old August 9th, 2005, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Yes-

you can remove any of the levers (B,G,E) on a hipshot bender...
WickedGTR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

You can order without the D toggle.........

You can order the HipShot with the B&G benders and delete the E lowering lever. I've ordered a couple from the factory like that and it's not problem, you can probably get a discount like that too.....JH in Va.

Old August 15th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I actually use the G bender far more than I use the B bender. I angle the lever up past the low E string, by about 1/2", and do the bending with my wrist. It also acts as an anchor for my right hand. I'm strictly a finger-picker.
jmiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The Hipshot G-String setup

Hi folks,
I just bought the hipshot for my Tele and I wonder which
G-String setup is best (up to G# or up to A)
Thanks
John

~~And bury me in an old tweed case...~~
RaggedTele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

They are not too much fun to take levers on and off from my experience. And your ring tool needs to be way small and have tight right angle tips, it gets pretty tight with the B, G and Drop D on there...

Old April 15th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Hey John,

The G bender is best utilized by having it pull the G string to A and not G#. You can get the G# raises easily with your finger. Check out the things that Brad Paisley does with only a G bender. I prefer the B bender but have a G bender on my HipShot and also have four guitars with Bigsby Palm Pedals which have both B and G benders on them..........

With the G bender, think of this scenario.... You're in a band situation and someone wants to do the Eagles "Take It Easy" but in the key of F. Remember that opening lick where you hold the first and second strings at the third fret and then bend the G string up a whole tone? With the G bender in the key of F you can just hold the first and second strings at the first fret and bend the open G up to A with the G lever and do the same lick.

There's a lotta good stuff with it. Another easy thing is to play an open A7th chord by just fretting the 2nd and 4th strings at the 2nd fret. With the lever you can resolve it to the root (A) note on the third string and move in and out of that for some nice things.

Another easy move out of open C... Just add the lever and you've got a C6th or A minor depending on how it's used.......JH in Va.

Old April 15th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Hey Jerry,
Didja see this half-stop deal over on the steel forum? I'm tryin' to figure out how to add them to my Hipshot! 8^)

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=203212

Old April 16th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Well, I did, and I'm seriously thinking about it...

...the BPP has become so customised already that a bit more hardware won't matter...

Old April 16th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I think half-stops would be extremely cool!

Old April 19th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I installed the Hipshot

Hi Teleholics,

Like I said, I'm reporting back how it went. I decided to put the Hipshot on my less-expensive Squier 60's Classic Vibe before trying it on any of my expensive Teles.

It took about 10 minutes to install, and within 20 minutes I had the guitar strung and dialed in.

It does zackly what it says it does. I didn't use the two additional screws at the bottom and it seems quite secure so no alterations except 3 small holes where the strings pass thru the tailpiece.

A guy on Ebay is selling these for $139 which was a lot better than retail and I had it in 2 days.

Very interesting piece.

Anyone know where I can get some free instruction on using it?

Take care,
John in Ohio

Here's a Pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic Vibe with Hipshot.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	80574  

~~And bury me in an old tweed case...~~
RaggedTele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

i'll give you a "free" tip.....cut that G lever down till the end of it falls just behind the saddles and run it the same direction as the neck, tighten the snot out of it so you don't have to "look" for it when you wanna do a G bend. cutting it "down" shorter will allow much easier right hand "muting", and trust me, there will be plenty of "lever" there to easily bend the G string. i use the heel of my hand to activate instead of grabbing it like a Bigsby as some seem to want to do with them. have fun...

Old April 19th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

10-4 on that BF.........

that's exactly what I do with my G lever also and I think it looks better when it's shortened and "straight". Good tip!....

Hey jmiles...... I did see the half stop thing on the SGF and think that would be a great idea for a stringbender. I wish I could figure out one which would be more "internal" for a guitar as the HipShot already has quite a few "doo-hickeys" on it. I'd like to have one for my B string so I could just raise it to C and then have a bender on my 1st string to raise it back to E when I had it lowered to D with a Scruggs peg. That way I could get a better approximation of Buck Trent's electric banjo stuff.........JH in Va.

Old April 19th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

That Squier looks great with a Hipshot on it.

Quote:
A guy on Ebay is selling these for $139 which was a lot better than retail and I had it in 2 days.
139?! I've been trying to talk myself out of spending the money for a G&B Hipshot, as I already have a B-only Hipshot, but I'm running out of excuses if they're only $139.

Quote:
Anyone know where I can get some free instruction on using it?
I can't say I've found any real lessons - like "put your finger here, then here, then bend" - on YouTube but I enjoy typing B-Bender in the search box and getting ideas and inspiration, if not actual licks and tricks.

Between his looping and B-Bending, this guy is one of my favorites: Arthur Lee Land.

I just wish there was a way to both zoom in and slow down YouTube videos.

Also check out the Clarence White Forum for some good transcriptions in the Books section: http://clarencewhiteforum.com

Last thought - do you have a copy of Arlen Roth's book "Masters Of The Telecaster"? I bought it years ago and pulled it out after installing my Hipshot and was pleased to re-discover the pages about Clarence White.

Arlen tabs out some examples for non-bender Teles with the B-bends played "manually" on the G-string. These look like they'd be a breeze with a G-Bender on the guitar, since many of his chord-based examples require a lot of awkward stretches with the fretting hand. Pulling a smooth bend down with my ring finger while stretched across four frets is pretty tough...at least to me.
Honga Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

wterr erttyyukg.n. 25.7849 tuyiop ytfjdjririueurie7ruyututyrtiturutuiruirurir uhtturuthruhcbgnvrfhh rgffyrjgtgughh yrhfjuurh yh
gjhttytyutyuyut uuut jtjt pqtypqgtgy tgyrt ry j

Old April 19th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Hey Jerry!
I think that with a Hipshot, I'd have to fabricate a "U-shaped" mounting bracket over the levers. I think they would be easier to install on an internal bender like a PG. I've gotten a Higgen's from Jim Sliff, but I haven't installed it yet. I wanna raise my 1st string a half step. You know I'm a fingerpicker, and just enjoy translating steel guitar stuff to bender guitar. With the Higgen's I'll have the top three steel guitar strings and pedals. I find it to be fun figuring that kinda stuff out.
Best,
John Billings