$vboptions[bbtitle]

Bill Lawrence Keystones: squealy problems

fuzzferatu
January 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Hi all,

I put a set of Bill Lawrence Keystones in a tele (sorry, no pix just yet! I will get to them, I promise, because I'm proud of this build). The pickups are lively and bright, just how I like. I adore their sound.

However, when I play them through the overdriven channel of my Fender Bassman, I get squeals right away, to the point that I have to back off the volume knob, which ruins the fun of the pickups, IMHO. I don't have this problem with my Tele Custom homebrew guitar that uses a GFS Fatbody Overwound in the bridge.

Are the Keystones microphonic? Should I embrace this and keep my new axe (named "Snake Oil" after a homeopathic client) as a clean twang machine, not a rock guitar? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks in advance for the advices.
steve

ChicknPickn
January 24th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to call Bill or Becky Lawrence. Sure sounds as if you have a microphonic pickup. I've used only the L280 and L290 pickups, so I can't speak to the characteristics of your Keystones. The noiseless pickups are about as solid as they can be. In any case, the Lawrences will do what they have to to make you happy, you can rest assured.

boris bubbanov
January 24th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I had shriek out of a Keystone neck pickup (not the bridge, go figure) when I first hooked up a set in a US Fender, a Highway One I think, a red one. I took everything apart, cleaned and inspected, reassembled very carefully, no more shriek.

I'll have to go back to my notes and see what I can find. It is all about risk and reward, in my book. The more fun a pickup is to play and hear, the higher the chances things will go microphonic. As long as it is not loose or bent parts on the guitar but the pups themselves, I'm in for the risk.

Bubbanov

fuzzferatu
January 24th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I had shriek out of a Keystone neck pickup (not the bridge, go figure) when I first hooked up a set in a US Fender, a Highway One I think, a red one. I took everything apart, cleaned and inspected, reassembled very carefully, no more shriek.

I'll have to go back to my notes and see what I can find. It is all about risk and reward, in my book. The more fun a pickup is to play and hear, the higher the chances things will go microphonic. As long as it is not loose or bent parts on the guitar but the pups themselves, I'm in for the risk.

Bubbanov

Thanks Boris! And the fact that you keep notes on your guitar builds absolutely makes my day. :mrgreen: I think my notes would consist of "WHY WON'T THIS WORK????" and "I BURNED MYSELF AGAIN!"