$vboptions[bbtitle]

Champion 600 tube/speaker suggestion?

voided3
November 24th, 2007, 03:29 AM
Hello, I just got a Champion 600 and I plan on trying a different preamp tube since I get some of the notorious rattling from my current one and a different speaker, though I think I will leave the stock Electro Harmonix 6V6.

I know this has been brought up many times, but I would like to know exactly what tube I need since I haven't had to buy tubes before. I hear the JJ tubes are a good choice and I see Antique Electronic Supply sells two different ones: the "12AX7/ECC83S - DUAL TRIODE, SPIRAL FILAMENT, GOLD PINS, JJ" and the "12AX7/ECC83S - TRIODE, DUAL, SPIRAL FILAMENT, JJ ELECTRONICS." What's the different between the dual triode and the single since that seems to be the only discernible difference besides price and the gold pins?

Secondly, I would like to try a different speaker just for curiosity's sake since from what I hear either the Jensen MOD or the Weber Signature 6 are the two biggest options out there and are an improvement. The MOD seems like it would have better low end based on its specs, which is appealing to me, but in practice do any of you have a suggestion (besides using an external cab)? Thanks!

voided3
November 24th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Well, I decided to get a Groove Tubes 12AX7R from my local music store when I went out to get some groceries since they were open and had them in stock. The break up seems much nicer now; less "spiky" than before. One thing I did discover though is the rattling I hear in my amp was the steel cover over the 12AX7. I tested this by playing through the looper on my Giga Delay and let it run once with it as is and again with me holding on to the cover. I assume it is there for shielding so i'll leave it on but can I safely put some electrical tape on the last 1/8" of the cover on the inside away from the tube in order to lessen the rattling?

Talmir
November 24th, 2007, 03:02 PM
hmm, I have some rattling in mine. I think my rattling is the tubes though. Im ordering a 6v6 and thung tsol (hope I type this right) in mine, should keep the breakup warm :) Im a sucker for blues tone. Also going to replace the speaker. I heard the Weber speaker replacement sounds better. (Its cheap enough to experiment with).

But Ill try doing someting with the cover and see if it makes a difference.

voided3
November 24th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Hello, I just ended up removing the cover; I didn't notice any adverse change in buzzing or anything and the rattle is gone. If you want to check to see if your tubes are microphonic, all you have to do is turn on the amp with nothing plugged into it, set the volume at a reasonable listening level, then tap the tube very lightly with the side of a pencil. If you hear the rattling sound, then it's a tube. Otherwise it's either going to be A) something loose, B) the speaker, or C) that shield over the 12AX7. Sometimes it can just be stuff near the amp too; the latches on one of those aluminum tool boxes from Home Depot can make quite an annoying rattle even if they are across the room sometimes.