$vboptions[bbtitle]

material for circuit boards ?

Fontane57
November 20th, 2007, 11:56 AM
morning everybody and happy t-day ,

can someone tell me if i can do this saftly or not. can i take an old style clipboard , the lamanated type or the newer plastic ones , and cut them in the sizes i need to make differant small amp circuits, 5f1 and 2 like boards? will the high voltages cause a fire hazard or conductive problems.

it would sure be nice if i can cause right now i have way more of that stuff than i do spare money , lol

thanks and happy holidays to everyone johnnyf. :idea:

RJB
November 20th, 2007, 05:20 PM
The material used for circuit boards is called G10-FR4, which is a fiberglass reinforced epoxy. One of it's key properties is that it is "self extinguishing" i.e. if it catches on fire due to an external source, when that source is removed it will go out on it's own.

Both the fiber pressboard or the acrylic clipboards would not do this. So if a component fails and sparks/flares enough to cause ignition, then the whole amp would likely go up. Sheets of G10 phenolic are easily available from parts houses list McMaster for relatively cheap, and they would be a better choice.

Ron

KevinB
November 20th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Ken at Turretboards/Watts Tube Audio (http://www.turretboards.com/) in St. Pete, Fla. carries this stuff in two thicknesses - 1/8" and 1/16"- and many sizes and colours. He also sells turrets, eyelets and installation tools.

It's pretty inexpensive too.

Larry F
November 20th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Is it true that some boutiquists have experimented with different kinds of wood, like rosewood or ebony? I recall reading this somewhere. It was a big name doing this, like Ken Fischer or Dumble. What would be the purported benefits of this, aside from snake oilism?

Fontane57
November 20th, 2007, 06:17 PM
thanks for the replys fellers . i know about g-10 and turretboards.com . but i really am busted right now, my last spare $25 is in the fundraiser lol. what where the old org. fender boards made of ? i had heard of the wooden board stuff too and thats what got me thinking{ a very dangerious thing }

man being broke suks bahahahahahaa :lol:

PRNDL
November 20th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Here's what you're looking for.
Use some copper plated nails and your in.

http://vintone.com/woodboard2.jpg