$vboptions[bbtitle]

15" cab for both guitar & bass

GuitarJonz
June 11th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Is it possible to use a cab with 15" speaker for both bass and guitar, without a huge compromise in tone to either? If so, how about a recommendation, for a bass amp of no more than watts, like a GK400rb, and a 40 watt fender head of some sort.

Ringo
June 11th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I'm sure it would work, it might not sound optimal for both guitar and bass but if you get a real efficient speaker it should sound good.
My buddy has a 1-15 cab with a new Eminence Big Ben, it's really a guitar speaker but it is rated pretty high wattage wise, we've played bass and guitar through it and both sounded good.
Also EV , JBL speakers come to mind.
I have an old Peavey bass amp that has a cast frame Fender Cerwin Vega
15" speaker , I've used it with guitar and bass, sounded good for both.

Tim Armstrong
June 11th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Sure, I used to have a '68 Fender Bassman head and a chopped Kustom cab with a single 15 that I used for both bass and guitar. I'd just make sure I auditioned a cab with a guitar amp before buying it!

Cheers, Tim

JohnnyCrash
June 11th, 2007, 12:36 PM
First things first: Impedance.
Second wattage.

Most bass speakers will be very unflattering to your guitar sound.

I'd recommend a Jensen Neo15-300. I doubt you'll get new style big bass tones out of the Bass amp, but you should find a speaker that is a good compromise. It'll probably lean more to vintage style bass tones and be a good fit for guitar.

I'd also bet Ringo's recommendation of Eminence's Big Ben is a good one to try as well.

The Jensen Neo15-300 only comes in 8ohms though. Your GK400RB running in 8ohms will be running at 180watts.

Everything is going to be a trade off. Tonally for a guitar, wattage for a bass, etc.