$vboptions[bbtitle]

Beginner Tele Neck Question

swood
April 2nd, 2007, 01:25 AM
I am currently improving on a squier standard tele and have bought new pickups and the whole deal. however, I am stuck an issue regarding the neck. on the neck which is currently on the guitar, the fretboard portion of the neck extends longer than the neck itself, like this:
http://i16.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/94/e7/2072_12_sb.JPG
and I was wondering if it really mattered if I purchased a neck without that little overhang and if it would fit fine. any ideas?

Daddydex
April 2nd, 2007, 01:41 AM
What you have there is a 22 fret neck. The 21 fret neck you desire should fit just fine. I just replaced a neck but went the other way. I replaced a 21 fret with a 22 and had no problems.

Please don't take my word as gospel as I am fairly new to this myself but if there are any problems the many people with great knowledge here will chime in.

Good luck,

Dan

GTO
April 2nd, 2007, 03:41 AM
Yes, the overhang is to fit the 22nd fret on without having to have an entirely different body with a longer neck pocket route just for 22 fret guitars.

Most 21 fret and 22 fret necks are easily interchangeable so long as you keep in the same 'family', like don't mix a Squire neck with a Fender, or a CIJ neck with an MIM body. I'm not saying they won't fit, and they often do, but to make them play well it is more often the case shims and other tweaks are needed. So given you needed to ask the question, you may not want to get into that just yet.