$vboptions[bbtitle]

Saddle Height Screws Interfering with Bridge Plate Mounting Screws

Mr5F6A
March 21st, 2007, 01:07 PM
Hello Everyone.

This is my first post to TDPRI although I've been loving my tele for about 10 years now. Forgive me if this has already been discussed elsewhere but I'm curious to see if this is a common problem.

I have a '97 California Series Fat Tele with a vintage style six-saddle bridge. In order to intonate the guitar properly the g-string saddle must be positioned so that one of its height adjustment screw must be shortened so that it can rest on top of pan head bridge plate securing screws. I've put up with it for quite some time now. It's particularly annoying since adjusting the saddle position in the fretboard plane in order to intonate the string causes the string's height at the bridge to change also. This is due to the fact that one of the height adjusting screws is sitting on top of and irregualar surface-- the bridge plate screw. I'm pretty anal about both intonation and string height so it's a big problem.

Now that I've changed string brands my A-string has been needing more length compensation at the bridge; so now I'm having the same problem there too.

I'm aware of the solutions: moving the bridge plate back or switching to a 3-saddle bridge. I just wonder if anyone else has had this problem with the vintage style six-saddle type bridge. Anyone?

Thanks,
Josh

Jack Wells
March 21st, 2007, 01:24 PM
I had a similar problem when I converted a Telecaster to a 12 string. I replaced the panhead bridge mounting screws with flathead screws.

Mr5F6A
March 21st, 2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah. That's another solution; albeit kinda a quick fix. It actually seems more viable if I consider the fact that a slightly larger flathead screw would also help me fix my stripped screwhole problem. My solution to that problem was to pour elmer's glue into the holes--talk about a quick fix.

Josh

joemac
March 21st, 2007, 02:32 PM
Glue some wooden toothpicks in the holes for the stripped thread problem.

Mr5F6A
March 21st, 2007, 05:21 PM
Good idea. I've heard of people doing that. So far the glue alone seems to have rejuvenated the threads. Time will tell.