$vboptions[bbtitle]

Speaker upgrade for a Vox Pathfinder

Chicago Slim
March 15th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I've got a Pathfinder 15R, and I would like to upgrade the speaker. I'm thinking of trying an 8" Weber Blue Pup. They make a ceramic and an alnico model. Has anyone used either of these?

I want to stick with an 8" speaker. I have bigger amps, and a 2X10 cabinet, for more volume. I'm looking for a nice Voxey sound, for the studio.

Any suggestions?
Tim

Stuco
March 15th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I think the speaker sounds pretty good stock. But I'm sure that weber will give you a slight improvement.

darmstrong
March 16th, 2007, 09:20 PM
It looks to me like a 10" could fit too, if you worked on the baffle. I'm always surprised at what a full sound it gets from its 8" though.

Wayne Alexander
March 16th, 2007, 10:39 PM
The Weber Alnico Blue Pup is a huge upgrade. I put a Weber Alnico P8Q in mine, it too is a huge upgrade. Both are significantly louder than stock and have tighter bass. With either of these the clean tones take on a nice alnico shimmer and the dirty tones sound like a very very good distortion pedal. Either speaker costs as much as the amp, but the aggregate investment still isn't much.

robb3566
March 17th, 2007, 11:37 PM
You might try plugging the Pathfinder into your 2x10...you'll think you died and went to heaven! Those little amps rock driving a bigger cabinet.

Chicago Slim
March 18th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Thanks everybody.

I do sometimes run the Pathfinder through my 2X10 cabinet. I sounds great, as the Eminence Legend 105's, have a good chimey sound, for a ceramic speaker. Takeing the line out, and running it through the power section (effects return) one of my bigger amps sounds good too.

Weber has an alnico Blue Pup speaker, for $35. Thats less than Vox grill cloth, if I try to cut a baffle board, in squeeze in a 10" speaker.

I've been doing some studio work, for a singer/songwriter lately. I've been recording direct in from my pedal, and useing the Pathfinder as a monitor, and it's been plenty loud. The line out doesn't sound very good though. The studio has ofered to drag out a ribbon mic, that costs four times as much as the Pathfinder, but as time is money, DI seemed like the right answer.

I could really use something like a the new Fender Princeton or Peavey Windsor recording amps. I wish that Vox made an AC15, that was more friendly, for direct recording. It doesn't look cool, but once again my Peavey Studio Pro, is proveing to be my go to amp.

photoweborama
March 18th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I tried a Jensen PR8, but it sounded terrible. I was really raspy, thought the volume increased by at least a third. The stock speaker sounded so much better.

I put that speaker in an Epiphone EP800 and it sounds AWESOME in that amp.. Now I have a $20.00 amp with a $60.00 speaker in it...

Dacious
March 18th, 2007, 10:57 PM
I'd try one of Ted's signature alnico speakers. Probably big improvement on standard and 90-95% of a Blue Pup with %60 of the price.

electricbody
March 19th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Weber says they make a 8" Blue Pup with a 7oz boosted AlNiCo plug magnet. I'm not sure what they mean by "boosted." In the picture it looks like a AlNiCo Sig 8S with the basket painted blue and a different speaker cone--more ribbed or as the copy says "British ribbed cone." It's only $35, which isn't bad and might be worth a shot. It's listed under the British section.

Yutaka
May 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I've got a Pathfinder 15R, and I would like to upgrade the speaker. I'm thinking of trying an 8" Weber Blue Pup. They make a ceramic and an alnico model. Has anyone used either of these?

I want to stick with an 8" speaker. I have bigger amps, and a 2X10 cabinet, for more volume. I'm looking for a nice Voxey sound, for the studio.

Any suggestions?
Tim

Resurrecting the old thread...

Chicago Slim, did you ever do this upgrade with Weber Blue Pup in your Pathfinder? I've been thinking about doing this myself. If you (or, anyone else who has done this) would like to share your experience, I would appreciate it....

Thanks!

OaklandA
May 9th, 2008, 10:27 PM
$40 speaker in a $110 practice amp? Seems like overkill.

ThermionicScott
May 9th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Think of it like purchasing an asset. That fancy premium speaker is still usable in anything else, you've just happened to pair it with an inexpensive amp for the time being. Maybe you'll put it in a "worthier" amp someday, maybe not. :cool:

- Scott

Yutaka
May 9th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Well, it's an okay sounding amp that's easy to carry around (I don't have a car) and loud enough for a small gig. If it can sound deeper and clearer, it'll be quite handy. Besides, I like making cheapo stuff sound better for fun. :mrgreen:

I've found a thread @ TGP if anyone is interested.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=376126

nic'o'caster
May 21st, 2008, 09:58 AM
About resurrecting the old thread...

I received my Weber Blue Pup - alnico model (15W @ 8Ω) - together with Beamblockers for other amps. The speaker swap was made in less than 10 minutes. Here are my first impressions :
- less loud than the Vox Bulldog : not a problem for me, it's just for home practice.
- less bright or harsh : AlNiCo takes the edge off but it took the spank out :(
- a bit more compressed, earlier breakup
- rounder tone (accentued mids compared to the rather flat Bulldog)
- more pleasant and vintage tone, but a bit less raw than the Bulldog.

I've been playing it 2 days know, and after a slight disappointment (I was expecting more tangible improvements) I like the new voice the amp has. I would say the tone has lost of its dryness and has gained a mid complexity quality, it reacts now a bit like a tube amp. My Tele and Strat sound better with the Weber, but I prefered my Gretsch with the Vox Bulldog.

All in all I don't think I've spoilt 40$, it was a real ear opening experience. If I had to do it again, I would maybe choose the ceramic version to retain more of the original speaker qualities.

Yutaka
May 21st, 2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks nic'o'caster for your reply. Maybe it just needs more break-in time for it to open up? I was thinking about going ceramic for myself, though, because of the kind of music I do. As soon as I have my bank account restored (just had my card info stolen and my account have been shut down :sad: ), I think I'll go for it.

I'm going to do some upgrades on the circuit itself in the next few days as well. I think there's a weird stuff going on in the phase that makes it sound wrong no matter where the knobs are set. I think I could make it sound tighter, sweeter, & clearer by just changing the capacitors. I have some OPA2134s as well, so I'll see if they'll work better than the 072 & 4558DD (should make it brighter, richer, and clearer if they get along well in the circuit). That's probably $10-15 upgrade at most.

Yeah, I know, it's a $130 amp. I just like tinkering around with the cheap stuff. :lol:

Nub
May 22nd, 2008, 12:13 AM
For me, a 10" speaker makes makes the amp much more usable, and it was pretty easy to do. Here's mine:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/Hotrodrdav/IMG_0252.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/Hotrodrdav/IMG_0253.jpg

Steve G
May 22nd, 2008, 02:30 AM
For me, a 10" speaker makes makes the amp much more usable, and it was pretty easy to do. Here's mine:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/Hotrodrdav/IMG_0252.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/Hotrodrdav/IMG_0253.jpg

cool!
once you get a Pathfinder, its like joining a cult...

nic'o'caster
May 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
For me, a 10" speaker makes makes the amp much more usable, and it was pretty easy to do.

Hey great, is it now [small] gig friendly ?

By the way did you cut a bigger hole (how's that ?)
or did you just install the 10'' behind the 8'' hole ?

Nub
May 22nd, 2008, 10:54 PM
Hey great, is it now [small] gig friendly ?

By the way did you cut a bigger hole (how's that ?)
or did you just install the 10'' behind the 8'' hole ?

I haven't ever gigged with it, but I've taken it to some "garage jams" and it's done fine. I almost always mic my amps when I gig anyway; I favor 1x12 combos, but I did gig my SF Champ a few times (it had a 10" in it, too). I haven't used the Vox in a while now; my son loves it, so he absconded with it, and uses it all the time.

When I cut the hole for the 10" speaker, I overlaid it on the stock 8" cutout. There's good clearance inside the cab, but the 10" cutout gets up into the vinyl & alum strip that's on the top half of the baffle. That's why I had to cover the whole baffle with grille cloth. The Jensen works ok, but I used it because it was what I had at the time; if I was going to do it again, I'd probably run something with a little more British flavor, like an Eminence Red Fang.

NoOneRemembers
June 1st, 2008, 03:46 AM
Pathfinders are sweet! I play mine all the time. Stopped playing my tube amp when I got the VOX. It looks really swell to boot! Had it for about a month so far. Everywhere was sold out of them for quite awhile. Had to buy a new one because it was all there was online at the time. Best $119 spent in a long, long time. The Vox has a really great size to it, good features, sound and about $200 cheaper than a tube amp. Was gonna buy another tube amp but I kept getting outbid in eBay for old 60's ones. Bought the Vox out of contempt for high prices. Great investment, never looked back. Sounds as good as tube pretty much.

Yutaka
June 1st, 2008, 05:10 AM
So I did some mods on my PF 15R. Upgrading the capacitors & opamps is up to your taste, but removing the 3 mm LEDs used for clipping made it sound sooo much better. Much fuller sound, more clean headroom.

I've replaced the IC1 (JRC 072) with OPA2134, and some caps (I didn't have all the matching values at home) with WIMA film caps & silver mica ones. I didn't touch the CA3080E used for master volume.