$vboptions[bbtitle]

Top 10 James burton solos/riffs/tunes?

TelZilla
March 5th, 2007, 10:13 AM
After actually taking the time to learn the hello Mary Lou solo, I want to add a little more Burton to my arsenal. So let's see yer list.

Telemarkman
March 5th, 2007, 11:23 AM
James Burton is one of my favorite players, and "Hello Mary Lou" is one of my all time favorite guitar solos. I NEVER thought I could learn to play it - at one time I thought it was impossible - but like you, I actually have learnt to play it after almost 45 years, and after seeing the James Burton instructional DVD I may add :oops: . (I use flatpicking though, not fingerpicking).

I can't give a Top 10 list, but a couple of my personal favorites are "Oh, Las Vegas" (Emmylou Harris) and "Promised Land" (Elvis Presley).

Telecicle
March 5th, 2007, 01:08 PM
I think his solo on Ricky Nelson's "It's Up to You" is sublime. The little faux piano lick at the end of the "Fools Rush In" solo is pretty bad. The solo on "I'm Walkin" is smokin, too. I have heard some stuff he did with Merle Haggard, and some early Waylon Jennings that was really killer, but I don't know any specific song names.

WickedGTR
March 5th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Corn Pickin' and Lonesome Fugitive, for starters.

davidge1
March 5th, 2007, 01:21 PM
The hottest James Burton solo ever (in my opinion) is on Ricky Nelson's Milk Cow Blues. He used the same licks on Merle Haggard's Working Man Blues, but Milk Cow Blues is the best. He's doing his trademark muted drone while picking higher notes with his fingers.

momotrucker
March 5th, 2007, 08:55 PM
'Fools Rush In'...every time i stumble on this one i play it over and over.

uncletele
March 5th, 2007, 09:18 PM
If you can get a hold of the "Grevious Angel" CD by Graham Parsons, James does a ton of tasty work with Elvis' back-up band on this landmark country-rock album. This is the work that featured a then unkown singer named Emmylou Harris. She dosen't sound too shabby on harmony vocals either!

Buck@r00
March 5th, 2007, 09:21 PM
James Burton did the lead guitar intro for the Buck Owens hit "Open Up Your Heart"

igorBG
March 6th, 2007, 05:51 AM
My choice: "Working man blues", but here in Serbia, you cannot hear much of his music, and countru music at all. OK, I have Rickie Nelson, The Best Of collection, and every Elvis song I could find.
Someone here has recomended me Working Man Blues riff, and it is great? If someone has detailed tab of that song, please send me on igormita@yahoo.com

eddiewagner
March 6th, 2007, 06:47 AM
i really dug his sole on am old lp of rodney crowell. the tune was leaving louisiana in the brought daylight. i thought: what the hell is this! crazy and brilliant playing.

zooropamofo
March 6th, 2007, 11:19 AM
I love his work on Promised Land by Elvis.

Also, any live version of Steamroller Blues, again with Elvis.

Rufus
March 6th, 2007, 01:04 PM
How about his chicken pickin' on "Papa Gene's Blues" by the Monkees, of all groups.

TG
March 6th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Nobody's mentioned Susie Q yet? 15 years old and he pulls off one of the hot riffs of all time. Huge guitar sound for the time, too.

Travelling Man (with Ricky Nelson) is a good'un too. His tele had the pickups out of phase in the middle position (early Teles weren't meant to have both pickups on so I guess they didn't concern themselves with that when they wound them) and the solo has an almost stratty quality.

Guido
October 11th, 2007, 11:29 PM
My Favorites Are

#1 Love Lost (James Burton Solo 45 from 1965) RARE is what I was told
#2 Summertime
#3 Everlovin
#4 Fools Rush In
#5 It's Late
#6 Travelin Man
#7 Hello Mary Lou

Too many to choose from

MandyMarie
October 12th, 2007, 12:08 AM
I can't stop with TEN!

1. "Mystery Train/Tiger Man" - live at the International Hotel w/ Elvis. He absolutely KILLS the second solo...it's chickin' pickin' to the tenth degree. THAT solo, IMO, should be the definition of the words "chickin'...pickin'..." :grin:

2. "C.C. Ryder" - live at Hampton Roads w/ Elvis...holy guacamole, I was listening to this last night and I about crashed my car I was so caught up in his guitarin'! I love when he's a total mad man and just goes crazy!!!...*blush*

...somebody stop me! :oops:

Buckocaster51
October 12th, 2007, 12:19 AM
One of my favorites is on Judy Collins' "Someday Soon"

It is so economical...

To put in in Sgt Joe Friday's words, "Just the notes James, just the notes."

Or something like that.

blue metalflake
October 12th, 2007, 01:12 AM
James Burton did the lead guitar intro for the Buck Owens hit "Open Up Your Heart"

Never knew that, but it makes sense thinking of how it sounds.

JB did so much great work with Elvis, Ricky Nelson, Haggard early days, its so hard to pick just a few, and it probably would change on a different day.

Two that really caught my ear on first hearing were Promised Land, and Hello Mary Lou.

FredDairy
October 12th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Here's all my favorites in no particular order.

1. Hello Mary Lou - Nelson
2. Travelin' Man - Nelson
3. Fools Rush In - Nelson
4. Young World - Nelson
5. Blood From a Stone - Nelson
6. I Got a Woman
7. Hey There Little Miss Tease - Nelson
8. Today's Tear Drop's - Nelson
9. Everytime I See You're Smiling - Nelson
10. String Along - Nelson
11. Hello Mr. Happiness - Nelson
12. Milk Cow Blues - Nelson
13. History of Love - Nelson
14. Belive What You Say - Nelson
15. It's Late - Nelson
16. Just a Little Too Much - Nelson
17. Mighty Good - Nelson
18. Open Up Your Heart - Buck Owens
19. Lonesome Fugitive - Haggard
20. Papa Gene's Blues - Monkees
21. Corn Pickin' James Burton & Ralph Mooney
22. Moonshine - James Burton & Ralph Mooney

I could Probably come up with another 20.... I will when you learn all these :wink:

olewichita
October 12th, 2007, 01:37 AM
worried about you baby - maylon humphries

tj

FredDairy
October 12th, 2007, 10:04 AM
This thread made me pull out these two cds. James usually gets all his Rick Ne lsoncredit for his good playing on the earlier rockabilly Nelson stuff. But I have to say his playing on this poppy stuff is much better. The leads go beyond just playing over blues chords. Just playing along with these albums are like a lesson in what true "lead guitar" is.
http://us.a1c.yahoofs.com/shopping/138726/amg1921614579_1617.jpg?rm_____D0P9jwzef
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000009KR.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

spankdplank
October 12th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Doesn't James Burton play the leads on Merle Haggard's ''The Bottle Let Me Down"? If so, that's my # 1 Burton. The fills he does and the interplay betwen the lead guitar and the steel guitar are classic in every sense of the word. A crash course in cool honky tonk guitar licks.

gitarjoe
October 12th, 2007, 04:30 PM
as well. Met him a few times, nice guy. I feel the same about about not being able to name the top ten. There are so many of them. I do think that he really shines at the Roy Orbison b&w concert. Here is one of my fave solos. He really shines with these guys.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=R8V9v5o_Axk
Watch from1:12 to about 1:40, that solo just gives me chills.

FredDairy
October 12th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Beautiful pink paisley you got there Joe.

I dig Burton's solo in Pretty Woman on that same concert.

gitarjoe
October 12th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Beautiful pink paisley you got there Joe.

I dig Burton's solo in Pretty Woman on that same concert.

Thanks. It took me alot of years to find that one. I think the whole b&w concert is great.

Guido
October 12th, 2007, 09:20 PM
This thread made me pull out these two cds. James usually gets all his Rick Ne lsoncredit for his good playing on the earlier rockabilly Nelson stuff. But I have to say his playing on this poppy stuff is much better. The leads go beyond just playing over blues chords. Just playing along with these albums are like a lesson in what true "lead guitar" is.
http://us.a1c.yahoofs.com/shopping/138726/amg1921614579_1617.jpg?rm_____D0P9jwzef
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000009KR.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I have all those on Vinyl, When I was younger I prefered his Imperial stuff, now at 40, I prefer the Decca material, It's harder to find, my folks had a few of those but not all, so over the years I have filled up my collection

Paul in Colorado
October 12th, 2007, 09:26 PM
James played on a Hoyt Axton album called "Life Machine" and they do a version of "That's Alright, Mama" where James plays a phase shifted solo that's out of this world! Anything he plays on with Gram and/or Emmylou is top notch.

Do you have his Hot Licks Video? A must have for all James Burton fans! James Burton is the reason I play a Tele.

davidge1
October 12th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Im glad someone revived this thread.

I was just watching this clip on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bq6GIEUyyc

Everyone's probably seen this on tv at one time or another, but I just realized that James Burton is probably playing on this. The "band" plays two songs, and on the second song the guitar is obviously James Burton (or someone doing a perfect imitation, but it's not likely) playing some really hot licks.

Rick Towne
October 12th, 2007, 11:45 PM
"Luxury Liner" fast and holding back
"Love Hurts" short and sweet
"Grievous Angel"

The entire "Burning Love", especially the one reverb-drenched 6m (G#m if it's in B) chord that rings

Guido
October 12th, 2007, 11:48 PM
I never could listen to Emmylou Harris, her voice makes my skin crawl, I bought the first 2 years ago, gave them away

tdowns
October 13th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Solo on Merle Haggard's - "What Ever Happened to Me" (http://terrydownsmusic.com/Archive/soundclips/What_ever_happened_to_me.mp3)
....will turn your ear.

dibber124
October 13th, 2007, 09:41 AM
The first Burton solo I heard was on a Judy Collins album that my a folkie/commie girlfriend gave me because it soulded "too hillbilly". A short bit on "Someday soon" started me changing from my "psycodellic "fuzztone playing into the clear pure one JB and Roy Nicolls used. A short time later I came across a Merle Haggard collection "Close Up" The solo on "Lonesome Fugitive" was a turning point in my playing. It led me to find out who this James Burton guy was. When I found out he played on all those Ricky Nelson hits I was amazed. Always dismissed this stuff as white bread/ Hostess Twinkie kind of crap at the time, but after really listening discovered the immense value in JB's playing And by extension country music in general. James Burton, Roy Nicolls, along with Steve Cropper, have been my "Guitar Gods" ever since, and a four bar break on a rather crummy album was the cause. Life is strange.

BobRob
October 13th, 2007, 04:20 PM
That's Mooney on steel and
I always thought that it sounded like Burton on guitar.

http://www.peggrecords.com/oneiljeaniecorrespondencecoursesoundclip.mp3

olewichita
October 14th, 2007, 02:45 AM
terry, that's one of my fave burton moments too... i also love the "little raindrops" he sparsely throws out throughout the song... even cooler than the solo to me is the part right after the solo where he plays behind the vocal... so lyrical...tj

tdowns
October 14th, 2007, 01:22 PM
terry, that's one of my fave burton moments too... i also love the "little raindrops" he sparsely throws out throughout the song... even cooler than the solo to me is the part right after the solo where he plays behind the vocal... so lyrical...tj

Oh yes.... here it is for everyones listening pleasure. I thought it was so cool that he played all that bendy popping dom 7th stuff, then at the end played this part that was so different. It sounded like a totally different instrument. It always makes me wonder how much of that was Burton influence vs. Ken Nelson. That was recorded August 3rd, 1966 by the way.

Whatever Happened to Me - End Part (http://terrydownsmusic.com/Archive/soundclips/What_ever_happened_to_me2.mp3)

airtractorfan
October 15th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Hello Mary Lou
Working Man Blues

tdowns
October 15th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Hello Mary Lou
Working Man Blues

Yes airtractorfan!!! Well of course "Workin' Man Blues". I don't know why I didn't respond with that one. That one has messed up a lot of pickers trying to copy that. What a gem.

koen
October 15th, 2007, 01:15 AM
"Love Hurts" short and sweet
I don't know the original, but on Gram Parsons tribute he indeed plays some very nice and subtle licks.

FredDairy
October 15th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Yes airtractorfan!!! Well of course "Workin' Man Blues". I don't know why I didn't respond with that one. That one has messed up a lot of pickers trying to copy that. What a gem.

How about the solo on Nelson's "Milkcow Blues" pretty close to "Workin' Man Blues".

Tele295
October 15th, 2007, 07:02 PM
There are too many to mention, but Ricky's "My One Desire" features a veritable lexicon of cool Burton licks. That's my twangometer when assessing new guitars.

"Someday Soon" is a truly beautiful song!

tdowns
October 15th, 2007, 08:50 PM
How about the solo on Nelson's "Milkcow Blues" pretty close to "Workin' Man Blues".

You think I ain't got that????? Hehe. :lol:

Burton - Milkcow solo (http://terrydownsmusic.com/Archive/soundclips/james_burton_solo_milkcow_blues-001.mp3)