$vboptions[bbtitle]

that ac/dc sound on fenders?

eddiewagner
January 29th, 2007, 04:15 AM
hi guys,
what do you think: is it possible do squeeze something out of a tele through a fender tube- amp, that sounds a lot like ac/dc? that bonehard rhythmguitar that theese fguys are refining over the decades really has something. but is it really needed do have marshalls and a gibson sg to do it? just curious...

Dave_O
January 29th, 2007, 04:25 AM
no, just a JMP100watt and a................ Gretsch. Check this out

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6131SMY&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1

that's the best I can do, sorry!!!

Ben Harmless
January 29th, 2007, 04:26 AM
You could probably do something similar through a cranked Tweed Bassman. A BF Bassman could grind nicely, but not the same.

Otherwise, I'd say look at some pedals. I personally think the Marshall Guv'nor II is a pretty darn good option for that sort of thing.

FWIW, the backup guitar that the Young brothers shared for the first era of the band was a Telecaster.

jussishow
January 29th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Played my Thinline through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (not mine ...) and managed to get a nice AC/DC:ish chunky rhytm sound ....
Don't know how it would handle "stage volumes", but it sure sounded good in the showroom ...

/J

petebradt
January 29th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Tele through a cranked Tweed Deluxe does an acceptable Malcolm Young.

RomanS
January 29th, 2007, 07:09 AM
I have no problem nailing the AC/DC tone with my Partscaster (with slightly hotter than regular tele pickups), and an old Marshall DriveMaster pedal; I think the Guv'nor is the current version of that pedal.

Dacious
January 29th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Foundation of that sound is Malcolm and his Gretsch. He's had dozens of pickups in it over the years - the Youngs have a Scottish background before emigrating to Oz and as we all know the Scots are canny with their money! :lol:

Used to be a joke here that every time Malcolm made $100 grand he'd buy a pickup to try.:grin:

I know people who've known them from virtually their first gig - when AC/DC broke in Oz in the seventies they'd been playing together 15 years. And of course George Young from the Easybeats is their big brother - that's a pedigree for you. When they go home they hang with their old schoolday friends - no big-noting rockstars there.

It's hard to know what Malcolm uses as he's often got it duct-taped in. but Hilotrons seem to be pretty much a fixture - which actually sound a bit Teleish. Other than that it's cranked Marshalls and no pedals. An awful lot of it is plain tecnique - Angus sounds like Angus and Malcolm like Malcolm and they meld totally - unless you find someone to put down solid plain rythym as complimentary in style it's hard to nail their sound.

Mal and Angus started on Aussie Matons and Goldentone (Rose Morris Australia) amps - Fenders and Gibsons cost the earth here then and only the top pros had them. While the old Aussie stuff is good for Britpop (or 60's Oz stuff); let me tell you, you have to work damn hard to get AC/DC from them!

Wherever Angus goes he buys any good SGs he's finds. He owns something like 180. They actually play cleaner than it sounds - a lot of their tone is the clipped style of fifths they play coupled with Celestions distorting under humungous load

Dave_O
January 29th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Foundation of that sound is Malcolm and his Gretsch. He's had dozens of pickups in it over the years - the Youngs have a Scottish background before emigrating to Oz and as we all know the Scots are canny with their money! :lol:

Used to be a joke here that everytime Malcolm made $100 grand he'd buy a pickup to try.:grin:

I know people who've known them from virtually their first gig - when AC/DC broke in Oz in the seventies they'd been playing together 15 years. And of course George Young from the Easybeats is their big brother - that's a pedigree for you. When they go home they hang with their old schoolday friends - no big-noting rockstars there.

It's hard to know what Malcolm uses as he's often got it duct-taped in. but Hilotron seem to be pretty much a fixture - which actually sound a bit Teleish. Other than that it's cranked Marshalls and no pedals. An awful lot of it is plain tecnique - Angus sounds like Angus and Malcolm like Malcolm and they meld totally - unless you find someone to put down solid plain rythym as complimentary in style it's hard to nail their sound.

Mal and Angus started on Aussie Matons and Goldentone (Rose Morris Australia) amps - Fenders and Gibsons cost the earth here then and only the top pros had them. While the old Aussie stuff is good for Britpop (or 60's Oz stuff); let me tell you, you have to work damn hard to get AC/DC from them!
Yo, mr Dacious....

Ah, the mighty Goldentone... What a killer old amp that was. Mia Dyson uses them now.

captain gorgeous
January 29th, 2007, 07:47 AM
not a lot of gain and the volume at 11.

i've actually had a bit of success in rehearsals using a tele through a clean volume boost (marchall bluesbreaker set to "boost") into a JCM 800 and 4x12. back off the tone just a touch and let rip.

works for me.

rmielech
January 29th, 2007, 03:36 PM
hi guys,
but is it really needed do have marshalls and a gibson sg to do it? just curious...

Well, that's how THEY do it. And they can afford anything they want as far as guitars and amps go. Besides, wouldn't it be nice to have an SG and a Marshall anyway..?

Wally
January 29th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Malcolm uses 100 watt Model 1959 Marshalls, Angus plays 50 watt md. 1987's. On the cheap, a Fender AB165 BAssman and a humbucker wil get you real close. Small amp...a 6G2 Princeton gets tha ripping growl going.

stevedenver
January 29th, 2007, 05:31 PM
eddie

all good comments above

you can approximate it using a tele with a hot bridge pick up-more broadcaster type of pick up-itll have a similar bite and chime,

and a good quality drive unit used lightly

-here in the US, a Barber Direct Drive into a fender-almost sounds real
kinda designed to move a fender into marshall territory-im sure there are others and better still-lest i be flogged-even a good modeling unit might do it-before i had my marshall 6100 i used a digitech 2101 through my hot rod deville in the 'british stack' setting adn it sounded ...kinda british!!!

-to me the missing part with a fender amp will be the celestion greenback speaker sound-very definite brit sound in the amp

truly i think you need a marshall-or a good marshall clone

now as of late ive been playing some ac/dc recently with my friends -highway to hell, hells bells, you shook me, TNT -

i use a les paul and straight into my marshall- up full on the jtm 45 circuit -works nice-frankly i can get just as close using my tele broadcaster clone and more gain in the 800 circuit -except for the LP sustain - and the tele has a bit more crisp cut and bite like a gretsch

but for you being in germany and knowing that you pay so much more in germany -id say "who needs an excuse to get another amp and guitar?"

namida
January 29th, 2007, 11:21 PM
thick strings and long stroked picking attack and as hard you possibly can without breaking the strings.

Colo Springs E
January 29th, 2007, 11:29 PM
said thru a Tweed Deluxe cranked would be a darn close emulation.

Believe it or not, a Peavey Classic 30 run into a Marshall 4x12 cab on the gain channel, gain on about 10:00 and volume dimed, is pretty good AC/DC type crunch too.

My Peavey 5150 head on the rhythm channel with the crunch button engaged was AC/DC heaven, I really miss that amp for that one tone. :sad:

JohnnyCrash
January 30th, 2007, 02:37 AM
As far as guitars:
You can always get "close", but not as close as you really want, with ANY guitar.

A Telecaster? No. I've got quite a few amps myself and three Telecasters. The Young brothers are my complete tonal nirvana.

I nail that sound with a '57 reissue Les Paul Custom (any low output AlNiCo II humbucker can get you into the ACDC territory though).

As far as amps:
You can get closer with amps than with a Tele.

I was equally surprised as Colo Springs E to the ACDC-ish sounds out of a Peavey Classic (30 and 50).

As far as a Fender amp, a Bassman near cranked will get some Young sounds - probably the closest Fender amp for the job. Otherwise, EL84 amps surprisingly can get it for the non-arenas us mortals play. An 18w is nice.

As already mentioned, the amount of gain on them ACDC sounds is a lot less than we all tend to imagine. It's got a nice little bit of body and chime to it too, doesn't it?

Thanks, now I'm jones'ing to crank one of my amps with my 57LP and it's already too late tonight :)

Dave_O
January 30th, 2007, 04:56 AM
As already mentioned, the amount of gain on them ACDC sounds is a lot less than we all tend to imagine. It's got a nice little bit of body and chime to it too, doesn't it?

Thanks, now I'm jones'ing to crank one of my amps with my 57LP and it's already too late tonight :)
nailed that one, Johnny. What you hear with Malcolm Young is clean preamp, but powerstage and speakers workin' hard. It's not a sound you can reproduce at low volume....IMHO

petebradt
January 30th, 2007, 05:26 AM
As far as guitars:
You can always get "close", but not as close as you really want, with ANY guitar.

A Telecaster? No. I've got quite a few amps myself and three Telecasters. The Young brothers are my complete tonal nirvana.

I nail that sound with a '57 reissue Les Paul Custom (any low output AlNiCo II humbucker can get you into the ACDC territory though).

As far as amps:
You can get closer with amps than with a Tele.

I was equally surprised as Colo Springs E to the ACDC-ish sounds out of a Peavey Classic (30 and 50).

As far as a Fender amp, a Bassman near cranked will get some Young sounds - probably the closest Fender amp for the job. Otherwise, EL84 amps surprisingly can get it for the non-arenas us mortals play. An 18w is nice.

I get decent Malcolm with a Tele, Johnny.

Maybe YOU can't, but plug a good Tele into a 5E3 amp vol on about 6 and tone on about 10, put the guitar volume on about 8, and the tone about 8 (Bridge pickup) and bingo! Malcolm.

eddiewagner
January 30th, 2007, 10:44 AM
It's not a sound you can reproduce at low volume....IMHO
i fear so too. and everythinghas to be very well together. no rattles and shakes. i think its one hell of a maintenance-job to keep thinks together for a long time at the volumes that theese guys play.

Drak
January 31st, 2007, 01:19 AM
The way I always looked at their sound was that it's not so much distortion or gain, it's FLAT OUT BALLS.

There is a difference.

As was already said, and said perfectly, it's powerstage and speakers working hard.

Gain and distortion really just get in the way of that tone, because it's not fizz, it's balls. And big iron don't hurt.

I understand why some people could use a smallish amp and maybe an overdrive, maybe not, and think they get there, you can simulate it like that, but you pump up any 100W amp that has a solid thick midrange tone foundation (i.e. not Fender, more like Marshall, Ampeg, or Traynor) and you're not simulating it, you're making it.

The best AC/DC tone I ever got was my Les Paul Custom thru an Ampeg VT-22 near dimed, 2-212 combo, no pedals, and that amp is not known to distort much, but you turn it up real freakin' loud, and presto, there it was, Malcolm Young bona fide in da house, and it was not about distortion, it was about...yup, Balls. :grin:

Doc
January 31st, 2007, 09:46 PM
An English Muff'n Pedal, or perhaps a Silver Dragon. Run this into a pushed amp. Using a Tweed of some type helps a bit more.

Rizo
January 31st, 2007, 10:00 PM
You could probably do something similar through a cranked Tweed Bassman. A BF Bassman could grind nicely, but not the same.

That's what I was going to say. But to get the tone down you'll need a Marshall crankin' and a bridge humbucker.

I think a tele bridge pup, with the tone rolled back a bit, through a turned up Bassman would be passable, but not too awful close.

aznrambo481
January 31st, 2007, 10:05 PM
http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/guitars/0130050306_md.jpg

:grin: :grin: