Which 250K pots for 69 Thinline?

Keith Caldwell
August 11th, 2003, 03:01 PM
I want to swap out the 1M pots in my 69 Thinline RI to 250K pots to reduce the trebly tone a bit.

But I'm new to this -- I went to Allparts.com and I wasn't sure which parts to order. (solid shaft? split shaft? etc.) I don't want to take off my pickguard (held on by nearly a dozen screws!) just to do a visual check. Can you guys tell me exactly what I should be ordering?



p.s. Should I consider changing capacitors at the same time? Any other suggestions or gotchas to pass along? All input is welcome.

August 11th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Get solid shaft pots, 250K audio taper. The ones that Allparts sells are CTS pots; the same ones Fender uses.

You might check out Antique Radio Supply ("") for your electronic parts; they are usually cheaper than Allparts (or your local dealer) and their minimum order is only around $12.00.... Seems that I read on the Les Paul Forum ( :oops: ) that some people recommend putting the pot with the highest resistance in the volume position, and the pots with lower resistance in the tone position; don't know how much difference it makes, but I've got one tele whose vol. pot measures 270K and the tone pot measures 245K....

AFA the tone cap, I'd change it while doing the pots, just cos it's easier to put a new one on than it is to remove an old one and resolder it. Different people have different opinions about which is best. Values run from .01 (little treble rolloff) to .05 (.047; more treble rolloff) with .022 being in the middle. Personally, I use .047 caps. Types of choice run from the basic ceramic disc, to mylar, to Orange Drops, to waxed paper. Some say there's a difference; others say there's not.... I've got a waxed paper cap in my "54" homebrew and ceramic discs in everything else....

YMMV and probably will.

Keith Caldwell
August 12th, 2003, 09:26 AM