Pickups taps

johnny guitar
July 12th, 2006, 10:36 PM
I have been looking into getting some hotter pups for one of my teles, and I am coming across threads (such as benbo's thread on his new Rice Custom Guitar) where people talk about having a pickup with a tap, so it can produce a more vintage lower wind sound, and then this tap can unleash a 10K wind, or whatever. What is this? Is it a switch you have to add to your guitar? How is it installed? How do you access the thing to use the tap while you are playing?

July 13th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Many years ago, I had a Tele with a set of Duncan Hot Tele pickups, with the tapped version of the bridge pickup. The bridge pickup had three leads -- one ground, and two, different hot leads. One hot was for the full pickup, and the other hot was for the partial pickup. A switch was needed to select which hot lead was being used. I had a standard, five-way Strat switch which gave me tapped bridge, tapped bridge+neck, neck, neck+full bridge, and full bridge.

July 13th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Yes, as Jim said, there are multiple leads.. you can use either a different selector or a DPDT switch... whatever works for you...