$vboptions[bbtitle]

Comments on Dan Smith strat pickups

calibre2001
March 23rd, 2006, 01:30 AM
I'm not very experienced with Strats but I like my Dan Smith very much. Soundwise, it's like what I expect a Strat to be. Thing is, after playing my Tele and 335 copy with a Seth Lover neck, I realise the Dan Smith pups aren't exactly as responsive unless you dig in your technique properly. Takes less effort with the other guitars. Is this how are Strats or should I really consider a pup swap?

rockycreeker
March 23rd, 2006, 06:37 PM
My Dan Smith Strat is my main guitar - but I replaced it's stock pups with EMGs a long time ago. Just recently I put the Dan Smith pups in a Peavey Predator AXE that I had -they sound good but they are very low output. Some folks really swear by lower output Strat pups and others like em hotter - just your personal preference. I think they are definitely decent sounding pups though.

Jim Sams
March 23rd, 2006, 07:24 PM
I always like the tone a Smith Strat has...
Beefy but still strat like.
Are these guitars collectors items now?

rockycreeker
March 23rd, 2006, 08:43 PM
My Smith Strat wasn't what I'd call "beefy" in it's stock form, but it is a fine Strat - it had a very characteristic Strat tone. I've modded mine with jumbo frets, EMG DG-20 system, Sperzel keys, MOTO pickguard and a vintage Fender tremolo with a steel block. It is my main axe and I can hardly play anything else. It really rings.

calibre2001
March 23rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
Are the EMGs more touch sensitive than the DS stockers? I thought they were once but after months of playing Teles and Seth Lovers, their less responsive compared to those two......

rockycreeker
March 23rd, 2006, 10:47 PM
I don't know about the EMGs being more touch sensitive - they definitely have more output and are very versatile - and they're hum cancelling. I was looking for a do it all guitar and the EMGs have worked for me. I think the Dan Smith pups are typical stock low output Strat pups - they sound good - but are very wirey and good for the Sultans of Swing in between sounds.