$vboptions[bbtitle]

Peavey T-60 partscaster build questions

jackkavanagh
January 29th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is going to be my first attempt at putting together a partscaster. I recently purchased a T-60 body from ebay that's now on it's way and also have a maple tele neck on the way. My question is: Will a standard tele neck plate fit the pre drilled holes in the peavey t60 or will I need to hunt down a t60 neck plate?

Also this will be my first time trying to wire up a guitar. I'm going to go for a single humbucker with a volume knob and a jack output. What am I going to need for this set up and does anyone have any tips, videos, wiring diagrams or general advice?

Cheers!

985plowboy
January 29th, 2014, 08:50 AM
The T60 has a lot of routing under that big pick guard. You may want to order some "blank" pick guard material to make a custom guard to house your custom electronics choice.
I'm clueless about neck interchangeability.
Put some pictures up as you go along. We all love a good partscaster build.
Best of luck.

jackkavanagh
January 29th, 2014, 12:58 PM
The T60 has a lot of routing under that big pick guard. You may want to order some "blank" pick guard material to make a custom guard to house your custom electronics choice.
I'm clueless about neck interchangeability.
Put some pictures up as you go along. We all love a good partscaster build.
Best of luck.

Yeah already got some 3 ply pickguard material on its way! I know that peavey t60 necks are interchangeable with standard fender sized tele necks, I just don't know if the neck plate is interchangeable.

I'll post pics as soon as stuff starts arriving in the post and I start working on it. Cheers!

bo
January 29th, 2014, 03:05 PM
If the neck plate is like on my T-27 then the answer is a definite "no". I suspect you'll have some dowel and drill time ahead of you.

loopy reed
January 29th, 2014, 03:11 PM
I don't think the neckplates will be interchangeable. IIRC Peavey neck mounting screws aren't spaced as far apart as Fender.

Il Duce
January 29th, 2014, 03:27 PM
I have a T-60 that is in pieces so I used the neck on a Strat and it was a perfect fit.

jackkavanagh
January 29th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Yeah the T-60 neck plate is the same size as a T-27 from what I understand. May just have to bite the bullet and buy one off ebay. Probably gunna end up being quite expensive taking into account shipping from the US and customs charges.

jackkavanagh
January 29th, 2014, 03:32 PM
I have a T-60 that is in pieces so I used the neck on a Strat and it was a perfect fit.

Were the mounting screws on the neck plate in the right place? Did you use the strat neck plate or the t60 one?

MrCairo46
January 29th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Interesting that the Peavey Neck fit your Strat. Strat Heels are usually curved and tele's flat making them not always compatiable. I've built 1 T-60 and am working on number. This one I will plan to use a Tele neck rather than the thin Peavey neck. The T60 neck has a very thin profile and can cramp you up. For pick guards , check out a TDPRI supporter WD Music products. They carry T-60 pickguards in many great colors.The toughest parts to fuind (or should I say expensive) are the volume and tone knobs.
They go from $19 to $30 each on ebay.

loopy reed
January 29th, 2014, 03:43 PM
For wiring diagrams, Seymour Duncan's website has just about any diagram you would need.

jackkavanagh
January 29th, 2014, 03:51 PM
For wiring diagrams, Seymour Duncan's website has just about any diagram you would need.

Cheers! I'll have a look now.

Does anyone with a peavey t series neck plate fancy helping me out with a few measurements? Just need to know screw spacing.

jackkavanagh
January 30th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Body and neck arrived today along with the tuners and string trees.The guy I bought the body off also chucked in the pickguard and bridge. Pickguard will come in useful as a template for the new one I'll be building. Gunna start stripping the finish from the body today and maybe fit the tuners to the headstock.

loopy reed
January 30th, 2014, 10:17 AM
This is gonna be neat! I love T-series Peaveys.

Ah who am I kidding...I just love Peaveys. There, I said it, I'm out. No turning back now.

bo
January 30th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Nice. Btw, IIRC Peavey neck plates are a shorter rectangle than Fender neck plates. This seems to allow for some flexability in the neck that the longer Fender plates didn't (or maybe it's an issue with how Peavey builds necks). You can either search for a Peavey plate and drill the neck for it, or fill/drill the body for a Fender plate depending on your preference. I like my necks fairly rigid. Can't wait to see the final result!

jackkavanagh
January 30th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Think I'll probably fill and drill the body and fit it for a fender neck plate. Also, the body is routed for the neck angle adjuster, is it a good idea to get rid of this if I decide to use a fender neck plate instead?

loopy reed
January 30th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Think I'll probably fill and drill the body and fit it for a fender neck plate. Also, the body is routed for the neck angle adjuster, is it a good idea to get rid of this if I decide to use a fender neck plate instead?

I wouldn't say that's necessary. Does it still have the adjuster in it? If it were me I'd leave it. I like them.

jackkavanagh
January 30th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Yeah it's still in there, can't figure out how to adjust it though. The adjustment screw is too far forward giving it a pretty severe angle. Is it just adjusted from the back with an allen key?

bo
January 30th, 2014, 02:29 PM
I'm not sure it would work with a Fender sized plate. It's basically just an adjustable shim.

loopy reed
January 30th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Yeah it's still in there, can't figure out how to adjust it though. The adjustment screw is too far forward giving it a pretty severe angle. Is it just adjusted from the back with an allen key?

Yep, that's how it's done. You'll probably need some neck angle, most t-60's I've seen and set up either have or end up with a bit of angle. Of course that depends on how tall your Tele neck is compared to the Peavey.

jackkavanagh
February 2nd, 2014, 01:56 PM
Not done much work on this as I've been out of the house. Lace Finger Burner arrived yesterday but not had chance to do anything with it. Going to build the pickguard this week while waiting for the other electronics to arrive. Loosely assembled some hardware so I could get a shot of what it'll look like.

The last photo is of the neckplate I have up against the pre drilled holes in the body. Looks like the spacing is only very slightly off. Could make filling and drilling new holes a bit risky. Looks like I might have to build or buy a t series plate.

jackkavanagh
February 2nd, 2014, 02:54 PM
Reckon I could swing screwing that neck plate in or is it slightly too small?

jackkavanagh
February 19th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Okay, so I finally got the Peavey T series neck plate and got the neck mounted, tuners installed and am going to do the string trees tonight. Going to hopefully do the wiring this week at some point but still need to order in some guitar wire. Any recommendations on guitar wire by the way?

Since this is my first time attempting to wire up a guitar I'm going have to ask some stupid questions.

When I ordered the body it came with some stuff already in there. The Jack input came connected but it's unlike the jack inputs I've seen on wiring diagrams. There only seems to be 1 lug and there's some sort of ground leading to the bridge from the jack. If anyone more experienced could help out and shed some light on this for me I'd be grateful.

Hopefully shouldn't take too much longer to finish this thing off. Turns out parts builds can be extremely cheap (roughly 100 excluding the pickup so far). So will definitely be doing this again if I manage to wrap my head around the wiring.

jackkavanagh
February 19th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Here's a photo of what's going on in the cavity at the min.

MojoMonster
February 19th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Any recommendations on guitar wire by the way?
Phostenix (https://sites.google.com/site/phostenixwiringdiagrams/home).
Seymour Duncan (http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/).

Original T40/60 wiring diagram (http://www.neighborhost.com/images/T-60.jpg).

If you ever get original pickups you can rewire it to spec (http://www.samuelbarker.net/t60mafia/mods.html).

When I ordered the body it came with some stuff already in there. The Jack input came connected but it's unlike the jack inputs I've seen on wiring diagrams. There only seems to be 1 lug and there's some sort of ground leading to the bridge from the jack. If anyone more experienced could help out and shed some light on this for me I'd be grateful.
New jacks are cheap.
I'd replace that one just so I know that I'm dealing with an known good component.

Good luck!