$vboptions[bbtitle]

A/B/Y box and signal strength

Jupiter
October 16th, 2013, 09:18 AM
I'm thinking about splitting my guitar signal to run it into 2 amps. I was wondering: is there attenuation of the signal when you do this? Is it a lot? If I don't need the A/B function, can I just use a Y-cable for this purpose, or do I need some diodes and wires and junk in between?

waparker4
October 16th, 2013, 09:39 AM
If there is attenuation of the signal I haven't noticed it because said signal is getting amplified by two amps. I suppose the input impedance of the two amps will be in parallel so the resulting impedance will be lower, but I have not experienced any degradation of sound as a result of using my A/B/Y box. If you are worried about it you could run your Y cable off the output of a buffered pedal like a Boss tuner. Actually a Boss tuner is an A/Y pedal so just use one of those if you got one.

PumpJockey
October 16th, 2013, 11:15 AM
You would notice a lower impedance effect if you put effect boxes *after* the split (in other words, for one of the amps only). A lot of stomp boxes won't deal with a lower impedance. High end A/B/Y boxes like the Fulltone fix this, others don't.

If all your effects are before the split you should be fine.

FenderLover
October 16th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I think it's best, and quite easy, to use a pedal as a splitter. The tuner suggestion is good. The Bad Monkey has two outputs. Many stereo pedals in bypass give you dual mono out.

Lowbassnotes
October 16th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I run my ABY last, haven't ever noticed any wierdness in signal strength. I sure like stereo, 2 amps of completely different flavors is tons of fun when you switch back and forth. When I hit combine it sounds really flush like a wall of sound with a real spatial thing going on.

Coldacre
October 16th, 2013, 06:08 PM
I've been using a BOSS LS-2 for 10+ years.... to run 2 amps live. great little unit.

artdecade
October 16th, 2013, 06:11 PM
I've been using a BOSS LS-2 for 10+ years.... to run 2 amps live. great little unit.

How are you doing that...? I didn't know you could do that with the LS-2. :?:

p8t8r
October 16th, 2013, 06:35 PM
You can do that and many more. LS2 is a hidden gem, I've got a couple.

blackguts
October 16th, 2013, 08:08 PM
I have the fulltone aby soft touch, and all I do all day is mess around with the possibilities such a simple defice opens up. Sometimes I wonder about using a Strymon Flint to drive two amps and what I could do with that.

soulman969
October 16th, 2013, 11:02 PM
I think with a quality A/B/Y box run after the effects chain you shouldn't experience any problems or at least I haven't noticed any with mine and it's a Whirlwind.

Jupiter
October 16th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Thanks guys. I was going to say that I don't have any pedals that can split the signal, but I just realized I might! :grin:

Coldacre
October 16th, 2013, 11:40 PM
How are you doing that...? I didn't know you could do that with the LS-2. :?:

what did you think the LS-2 was for? :mrgreen:

artdecade
October 17th, 2013, 08:58 AM
I thought it was for setting up two effects loops (w/ lots of options) - not for splitting a signal between two amps. It only has one output... I have to look at the manual! Ha.

EDIT - Oh I see now. You can actually just send the signal to all three outputs. That's pretty swift! :lol: