$vboptions[bbtitle]

Fender Pawn Shop Special Ramparte

DakotaRed
August 29th, 2013, 04:47 PM
New Pawn Shop amp:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Ramparte

A Wonderfully Unique Combo Amp from Fender's Pawn Shop

Designed for Fender's Pawn Shop Special Series, the Ramparte 1 x 12" combo amp has an undeniably distinctive character. This all-tube combo sports a "cool" channel that ranges from classic warm, clean FENDER® tone to just a bit edgy. The "hot" channel boasts a wide range of overdrive, everything from singing to screaming. Best of all you can either rock with the 12" Special Design speaker, or connect your favorite 8-ohm speaker cabinet. Either way, you're primed for unique tone with the Ramparte combo amp.

Fender Pawn Shop Special Ramparte Tube Combo at a Glance:
- Retro-inspired vibe
- All-tube, Class A guitar tones
- Juice your tone with a boutiquey vibe

Retro-inspired vibe

The Fender Pawn Shop Special Ramparte exudes a retro-vibe from its cosmetics to its tones. The textured, two-tone fabric covering and wheat grille cloth is reminiscent of vintage furniture and console stereos. It just looks like it's going to sound cool. The old-school leather handle and chicken head knobs finish off the retro theme of the Fender Pawn Shop Special Ramparte.

All-tube, Class A guitar tones

You'll love the fat tone of the Class A Fender Pawn Shop Special Ramparte. Powered by a single 6L6 tube with two 12AX7 preamp tubes, the Ramparte delivers all-tube tone. This 2-channel combo delivers a wide range of tones for an style of player. The "Cool" channel delivers warm, cleans to moderately gritty crunch. The "Hot" channel picks up at gritty and goes all the way to dimed overdrive. Fender's Pawn Shop Special Ramparte is an all-tube combo with a definite attitude.

Juice your tone with a boutiquey vibe

One of the things that separates us guitarists from other musicians is our appreciation for real analog. Analog tone circuits, sure - but also good old-fashioned mechanics. The physical interaction of a valve amp with a speaker cone. Fender gets it (of course they do) - that's why they design and build such wonderful tone candy. Add a fresh, unconventional vibe to your music with the Fender Pawn Shop Special Ramparte.

Fender Pawn Shop Special Ramparte Tube Combo Features:
- 2-channel tube amp with distinctive, retro-inspired styling and sound
- Custom-voiced 12" Special Design Ramparte Speaker
- Cool channel is voiced from warm and clean to mildly gritty
- Hot Channel delivers killer overdrive tones
- 9-watt tube amp powered by a single 6L6 power tube
- Preamp section houses 2 x 12AX7 tubes
- Vintage leather strap and chicken head knobs contribute to the retro vibe

:grin:

paratus
August 29th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Hmmm....

Just two volume controls, one for each channel. I am sure it will sound wonderful, but I am saving my nickels for a Ceriatone.

PumpJockey
August 29th, 2013, 05:07 PM
OK, the "Cool" volume goes to 9 and the "Hot" volume goes to 16? Someone's having a bit of fun. Possibly the same person in the Pawn Shop department that does not like tone stacks.

And let's hear a few details on the speaker. $400 for a 9 watt amp and maybe you have to spend another $100 for a speaker upgrade? The "Special Design" 15 in the Excelsior was an immediate candidate for an upgrade.

BigDaddyLH
August 29th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Would it have killed them to have a switch between channels? I don't see any mention of a foot switch. And did they give up on tone controls? Excelsior, now this?

BigDaddyLH
August 29th, 2013, 05:13 PM
OK, the "Cool" volume goes to 9 and the "Hot" volume goes to 16? Someone's having a bit of fun.

Cuz it's Hot!

Lowbassnotes
August 29th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Another Hmmn here too. I actually like the styling better than the Excelsior and actually like the styling better than most offerings out there for $400.00. The truth'll be in the tone though and if it'll need more $$$ sunk into it in the form of mods.

BBill64
August 29th, 2013, 05:36 PM
With verb I'd be interested, tone or no tone. Without verb, eh.

Also, U-G-L-Y.

waparker4
August 29th, 2013, 05:37 PM
They just blew Spinal Tap out of the water. This one goes to 16!!!

t-luxe
August 29th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Nice, but I'm saving my $$ for when the drip edge '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb hits the streets.
Sorry Fender, just too many cool amps at once.....I can't keep up!

chrisgblues
August 29th, 2013, 05:54 PM
I'm going to reserve my opinion until I actually HEAR the amp, with my guitar running through it. Hopefully I can try a floor model before end of year.

It might be great, it might be meh...can't tell at all from a few pics though!!!

figaro
August 29th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Would it have killed them to have a switch between channels? I don't see any mention of a foot switch. And did they give up on tone controls? Excelsior, now this?

All you need is an A-B switch to switch between the channels. Tone control? We don't need no stinkin tone control! :mrgreen: Do you have a tone control on your guitar? Ok then!

Is there another 2 channel all tube combo with a 12" speaker for $399 new?

geemo
August 30th, 2013, 03:46 AM
I really like watching the news From fender there days. There are new things comming all the time!

I would like to test drive one of these and the new silver face modded amps.

TheFullMonty
August 30th, 2013, 03:51 AM
Is it just me, or does it look like Fender took a bit of inspiration from old Gibson GA70 amps?

Tee1
August 30th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Needs to lose the logo, a new grill cloth and be retolexed. But i'm interested in what it might sound like. A bigger bottled/12" Pro Junior might be more interesting.

dlaroe
August 30th, 2013, 05:44 AM
All you need is an A-B switch to switch between the channels. Tone control? We don't need no stinkin tone control! :mrgreen: Do you have a tone control on your guitar? Ok then!

Is there another 2 channel all tube combo with a 12" speaker for $399 new?

Special 6 Ultra Combo, depending on your definition of two "channel".

Speaking of which, I wonder if Hot is cascaded into Cool with a shorting jack to mute the extra gain stage?

Without reverb or an effects loop and two 12ax7s it may be a true two channels.

Still can't wait to play it, love me some single 6l6.

-Dale

CrisHendrix
August 30th, 2013, 06:58 AM
The Special 6 is a 6 watter, could just be a rating difference but 9 watts through a 1x12 'might' be just enough to play with a drummer/full band..

http://www.SunbeltRyders.com

uriah1
August 30th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Interesting niche... single 6L6

cynic79
August 30th, 2013, 09:49 AM
It certainly looks nice, but this is one I'd definitely want to try before buying.

waparker4
August 30th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Needs to lose the logo, a new grill cloth and be retolexed. But i'm interested in what it might sound like. A bigger bottled/12" Pro Junior might be more interesting.

It might be but this doesn't sound like that.. Pro jr. = single channel, tone control, push-pull EL84 amplifier.

guitarzan13
August 30th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Would it have killed them to have a switch between channels? I don't see any mention of a foot switch. And did they give up on tone controls? Excelsior, now this? Get an A/B switch and drive it like 2 amps maybe?

BigDaddyLH
August 30th, 2013, 10:12 AM
A/B foot switches seem rather expensive.

cowboytwang
August 30th, 2013, 11:33 AM
A/B foot switches seem rather expensive.

You can get new A/B box for under $40, and I've seen used ones for under $15 on eBay.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DOD270/

BigDaddyLH
August 30th, 2013, 11:45 AM
You can get new A/B box for under $40, and I've seen used ones for under $15 on eBay.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DOD270/

Good to know. I seem to find just $189 ones on MF.

waparker4
August 30th, 2013, 11:51 AM
These are $45 and have LED's
http://www.loop-master.com/index.php?cPath=25

soulman969
August 30th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Interesting but trying to substitute a "cool look" for it's lack of features would make me hesitate to ever spend $400 on it no matter how interesting it "looks".

If I did a speaker swap to something like a CRex I'm up to $500 and still need to run an EQ and a reverb or a delay in front of it to make it usable for me. I think I'd spend my money on an Emi equipped Excelsior before this one.

I think they priced this a little high.

Fearnot
August 30th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Interesting niche... single 6L6

Just like the old Champ 12. Two 12ax7s as well. It had a tone stack and channel switching though. And snakeskin.

BigDaddyLH
August 30th, 2013, 12:13 PM
What if you stuck a KT120 in there -- 12 watts?

figaro
August 30th, 2013, 12:20 PM
If I did a speaker swap to something like a CRex I'm up to $500 and still need to run an EQ and a reverb or a delay in front of it to make it usable for me. I think I'd spend my money on an Emi equipped Excelsior before this one.

Already talking about replacing the stock speaker before you even hear it? I'm sure it's speaker is made by Eminence and it probably sounds better than the $299 Excelsior's speaker since it has a larger magnet.

rhythmjones
August 30th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Interesting amp. Cool looking. Unique features. But, seems inherently unusable.

Excelsior was a win. This and Greta, not so much.

BigDaddyLH
August 30th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Would have liked a different colour jewel light: "Ramparte's red glare" -- it's been done.

cowboytwang
August 30th, 2013, 03:08 PM
So it's my understanding that this Fender "Pawn Shop" series is supposed to be the kind of amps from the '30s-'50s that you would see in second hand stores and pawn shops. Mostly old lap steel amps like old Rickenbacher Electros, Magnatone, Oahu, Dickerson, and other odd old amps. I have to say they are doing a good job.
For those complaining about lack of tone stacks, reverb, and other things, go check out some of those old amps. I have a few, and two of the electro amps don't even have a volume or on/off switch. You plug it into the wall and it's on at full 3watt volume.
I think it's a cool amp series, and wouldn't mind owning a few of them myself.

ruger9
August 30th, 2013, 08:15 PM
W/O reverb, not interested. Also, every Fender "hot channel" I've ever heard, with the exception of the Supersonic amps, sounds like crap.

I do dig the aesthetics tho.

soulman969
August 30th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Already talking about replacing the stock speaker before you even hear it? I'm sure it's speaker is made by Eminence and it probably sounds better than the $299 Excelsior's speaker since it has a larger magnet.

And are you sure it's an Emi OEM? without first seeing it. A quick look at it should tell if it's an Emi or not.

But that's beside the point and I don't have to hear it. If it was a CRex then Fender would be shouting it out loud and clear like they do on the BJr and it's Humboldt Hot Rod version. Fender also began marketing an Excelsior with an Emi 1518 because many were upgrading with it and if this one takes off they may do the same.

All that aside I like the CRex because I believe it can be an improvement in this amp and many others not because the stock speaker is lousy. I replace pickups in guitars too for the exact same reason. Because I believe it improves them as well. So that's all I'm really saying. I'm not knocking its speaker I just know that I'd want something else in there.

paratus
August 31st, 2013, 09:29 PM
Would have liked a different colour jewel light: "Ramparte's red glare" -- it's been done.

ok, so nobody else though that was funny?

teleamp
September 1st, 2013, 12:06 AM
Interesting niche... single 6L6Yup, a 6L6 5F1 with volume controls for each triode of the preamp... cascaded. Should sound pretty good.

Lowbassnotes
September 1st, 2013, 12:43 AM
So it's my understanding that this Fender "Pawn Shop" series is supposed to be the kind of amps from the '30s-'50s that you would see in second hand stores and pawn shops. Mostly old lap steel amps like old Rickenbacher Electros, Magnatone, Oahu, Dickerson, and other odd old amps. I have to say they are doing a good job.
For those complaining about lack of tone stacks, reverb, and other things, go check out some of those old amps. I have a few, and two of the electro amps don't even have a volume or on/off switch. You plug it into the wall and it's on at full 3watt volume.

I agree, the Pawnshop series is about the coolest thing Fender's come up with since the early 80's. Aside from modeling amps what else have they offered us in the way of new original designs since the 80's?

My 30's Ric M-10 housed in the black walnut cabinet my buddy Steven made for it:

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o663/Lowbassnotes/c16e7ba88593b90540b2ca7dfa8b9706_zpsefce2a94.jpg

Flakey
September 1st, 2013, 12:52 AM
Wonder if the two volumes are or can be linked? No tone control? Thats ok I have one on my guitar.

cowboytwang
September 1st, 2013, 03:17 AM
I agree, the Pawnshop series is about the coolest thing Fender's come up with since the early 80's. Aside from modeling amps what else have they offered us in the way of new original designs since the 80's?

My 30's Ric M-10 housed in the black walnut cabinet my buddy Steven made for it:

I like the M-10 wood box.(except it was spelled "Rickenbacher" back then)
Mine is still in the black crinkle paint metal box.

September 1st, 2013, 07:06 AM
I wish they would make a Pawnshop amp with a built in tape delay like a modernish take on the old Ray Butts Echosonic.

ruger9
September 1st, 2013, 07:52 AM

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o663/Lowbassnotes/c16e7ba88593b90540b2ca7dfa8b9706_zpsefce2a94.jpg

Good Lord that's gorgeous! :shock:

ruger9
September 1st, 2013, 07:53 AM
I wish they would make a Pawnshop amp with a built in tape delay like a modernish take on the old Ray Butts Echosonic.

FENDER?!?!?! Never gonna' happen my friend. And if it does, it'll be $1000.... not exactly a "pawnshop" amp anymore...

At this point, I'd "settle" for a combo (12" probably) with bias trem AND SPRING REVERB. And a speaker that doesn't have to be upgraded. With the darker Gibson/Supro voicing. For $500.

Basically, a "poor man's Swart" lol.

I know... never gonna' happen my friend...

smokinalder
September 2nd, 2013, 12:53 AM
I'm lovin' it. Best lookin amp since the blackface. Geez, how I hope it sounds good. Honestly, I don't mind the 'lack of features'. I do wish it had a reverb, but hey, that's small spuds. It's like a time capsule to the amps I played back in the 60s. And, I dare say, the upholstery will match my livingroom. lol.

Wyzsard
September 2nd, 2013, 01:30 AM
I've come to love amps that have a single Tone control or no tone control at all. Add a Barber Barb EQ and they become super versatile. I've got a a/b box ready to go as well as the Barb EQ.

I just have to wonder how many months it's going to take for these to hit the streets. Fender doesn't even have them listed on their Pawn Shop section of their website yet.

Matt Laird
September 2nd, 2013, 11:48 AM
I held out on the Excelsior but I think I am going to pull the trigger on one of these after I see one in person and. If I like how it sounds. I am getting one.

MadJack
September 2nd, 2013, 09:39 PM
I like that they state that the "Cool" channel supposed to have the "classic warm, clean FENDER® tone" and goes up to a gritty tone, while the "Hot" channel just might be a cascaded gain stack.

Swapping tubes and/or speaker is alright with me, as I don't expect anything in this price range to be exactly what I like. Most likely, an A/B switch, an EQ pedal and my other pedals would get most tones I could want from it.

These Pawnshop Series amps have been quite unique and likable. I swapped the tubes in my Greta to NOS JAN-Philips 5751 & 12AT7WAs and a good speaker cab (Weber X-Cab w/Alnico Sig 10S) for a Tweed-y toned little setup. The stock 4" speaker came across sounding like what it is, a 4" speaker. About like listening to a Transistor radio! The Excelsior is still on my radar, but I'm interested how another members tone is going to be with a Weber 15A125 speaker.

MadJack
September 4th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I just have to wonder how many months it's going to take for these to hit the streets. Fender doesn't even have them listed on their Pawn Shop section of their website yet.

The page just came up today.

Fender Pawn Shop Series RAMPARTE™ (http://www.fender.com/series/pawn-shop-special/ramparte-120v/)

TheRumRunner
September 4th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Fenders pages contradicts itself, under "power tubes" it says a single 6V6 and then under "unique features" it says 6L6.

DW

figaro
September 4th, 2013, 09:42 PM
The spec page is incorrect. It comes with a 6L6.

Wyzsard
September 5th, 2013, 12:21 AM
The page just came up today.

Fender Pawn Shop Series RAMPARTE™ (http://www.fender.com/series/pawn-shop-special/ramparte-120v/)

Thanks for the heads up.
Seems like I recall the Mustang amps were introduced around the 1st of September and were in stores mid - late October. Hopefully it will be the same with these.

Badabing
September 5th, 2013, 12:44 AM
I cant find any youtube clips of this amp...anyone have any video of this amp in action..??

Wyzsard
September 5th, 2013, 01:19 AM
I cant find any youtube clips of this amp...anyone have any video of this amp in action..??

Just check the Fender site daily. They will probably post the first one.
http://www.fender.com/series/pawn-shop-special/ramparte-120v/

String Tree
September 5th, 2013, 01:28 AM
I don't think it would have broken the Fender Bank to put at least one Tone control on it.

Maybe next years model ...

savofenno
September 5th, 2013, 04:34 PM

At last somebody is saying what it is. And who has experience of the style of vintage originals Ramparte is attempting to recreate.:cool:

ASC67
September 5th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Weird that there are no video demo's yet ?

Alamo
September 5th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Ramparte.

what's with that name? what does it mean?
I know there's a flick about a corrupt cop...but thats missing the 'e' at the end. can't be that then - so what is it?

Hoodster
September 5th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Single 6L6 = Great idea.

Everything else = Bad ideas.

harleysr
September 5th, 2013, 07:44 PM

cynic79
September 6th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Ramparte.

I know there's a flick about a corrupt cop...but thats missing the 'e' at the end. can't be that then - so what is it?

Alternate spelling for "rampart," meaning a defensive wall.

tjnugent
September 6th, 2013, 07:34 PM
For the price of a speaker upgrade you could buy the new Vox Night Train 15 G2 Combo with a Celestion Greenback 12" in it. Though I like what Fender does with the pawnshop... Perhaps waiting for them to turn up used for $100 less would be a better idea.

TJ

Alamo
September 6th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Alternate spelling for "rampart," meaning a defensive wall.

Thanks for offering an explanation, cynic79.

does anyone have a different take on it?

a google pic search for "defensive wall" talks a strange language, with Fender in mind. did they mean that?

dmeeg05
September 7th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Apparently the build quality is excellent!! I'm buying one cause I like amps that look like furniture... :-)

teleamp
September 7th, 2013, 04:20 PM
At last somebody is saying what it is. And who has experience of the style of vintage originals Ramparte is attempting to recreate.:cool:

It's a souped up 5F1 circuit

TheRumRunner
September 7th, 2013, 04:29 PM

I totally agree with your perspective on this and I like what Fender is doing here. I've got piles of these old amps and they all have something special going on. I hope Fender releases more over time.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k182/IlapU2/Music/Amps/DSC_4726_zps054c9510.jpg (http://s88.photobucket.com/user/IlapU2/media/Music/Amps/DSC_4726_zps054c9510.jpg.html)
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k182/IlapU2/Music/Amps/DSC_4728_zpsa65943e6.jpg (http://s88.photobucket.com/user/IlapU2/media/Music/Amps/DSC_4728_zpsa65943e6.jpg.html)

DW

cynic79
September 7th, 2013, 09:59 PM

a google pic search for "defensive wall" talks a strange language, with Fender in mind. did they mean that?

It may be an American thing.

Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?

strat a various
September 8th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Ramparte.

If it were "Rampart", I'd say Rampart Street, a famous street in New Orleans, it runs along the north border of the French Quarter. That would make sense musically. Why they stuck the "e" on the end, I don't know.

Alamo
September 8th, 2013, 05:29 PM
If it were "Rampart", I'd say Rampart Street, a famous street in New Orleans, it runs along the north border of the French Quarter. That would make sense musically. Why they stuck the "e" on the end, I don't know.
Thanks, interesting - still listening.

Soulsingin77
September 15th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Just discovered this amp...oh crap.

I'm still in a major honeymoon with my Exy. And they come out with this?! To everyone who bypassed the Exy, there's a reason those amps hit like they did, they're wonderful, to me and the ones who dig that kinda thing anyway(we're growing in numbers daily!). Its gotten me into the old valco/ supro's, Oahu amps, etc., and opened up a whole new world for me. In turn, thats had a major positive impact on my playing. Thank you Fender! Quirks, rattling tubes, tone switch, inefficient speaker and all the Exy is happenin'. I'm hoping this amp stays with the lo-fi thing the Exy has goin on. Its unique. Could a 6L6 achieve this? Admittedly, Im not the biggest 6L6 fan. It's got some mojo just lookin at it though, so that's a good start:)

My problem is that I'm just not ready to get out of my honeymoon with my Exy at the moment:) Think maybe I'll take the thought of someone else post and wait til they start showin up used for cheap. Then again, I could find a reason to run this alongside my Exy and get it sooner:)

Sidenote- I'm also finding I like the tone switch/ no tone approach too. An eq on an amp is just more ways for me to over think my tone and thinking I can always get something more and/or better. I tinker for days when I have one, and drive myself crazy! Haha! Ive learned if the amp is voiced well enough, you can work all your tone shaping in other ways just as or more effectively.

Simplify, simplify!

tjnugent
September 15th, 2013, 01:08 AM
The jury is out on what this amp sounds like. I am curious. I like the fact that it is low wattage. If it isn't all that and a bag of chips I am going to bring the Excelsior home from church and buy the new Vox Night Train G2 combo for the gig and keep the modded Excelsior for my home amp. I really don't have much money tied up in Excelsior mods, so I am happy with it. I just want an amp I can leave at church and one I can play at home.

TJ

Wyzsard
September 15th, 2013, 03:05 AM
ramp art

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-N6X-znnKqyE/TZEetPteQwI/AAAAAAAAE6s/GTREajh5fTY/s1600/5562843196_cf9bb89ee6_b.jpg

Wyzsard
October 5th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Looks like the same deal as the Mustangs. Mid October. Online sellers are now quoting the next 10-20 days.
zzsounds says the 24th
ams says the 14th
gearnuts says the 16th

Still no demo video from Fender though. Or any for that matter.

tjnugent
October 5th, 2013, 11:06 PM
I set up a Google News alert for Fender Pawnshop Ramparte Demo. I did this for video's only. Usually Google News alerts work really well. I will post when I see one.

TJ

tjnugent
October 5th, 2013, 11:10 PM
I have been extremely satisfied with my Pawnshop Excelsior. I upgraded the speaker to a Legend 1518, put new tubes in it. Used friction tap all over the inside of the chassis and outside the metal conduit and anywhere else the chassis touched the cab. I went through all the screws and used loctite blue and made sure they were secure, and I did the tone control mod with a tone pot instead of the switch. The only other mod I would do is to bypass the sag resistors. It has a great clean sound and has more headroom with the new speaker. Jumpering the sag resistors will give it even more headroom.

I may replace the output transformer with a Bill M direct fit model. Oh, yes, I put in new JJ tubes. Great tone for what I do, which is low volume clean with dirt pedals.

TJ

tjnugent
October 5th, 2013, 11:13 PM
One thing I have done on my pedalboard is the use a Joyo 7 band EQ pedal as the last in the chain going to the amp. I dial out some of the mids and add whatever the room needs. You don't even really need a tone control with an EQ Pedal... That is why the Ramparte looks interesting.... A good plus is that either the Exselcior or Rampart are low wattage enough and cool looking enough to put in your living room without your wife throwing a fit... Your mileage may vary... :-)

Wyzsard
October 5th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Still diggin my Excelsior. Still stock but I may look into the sag resistor mod.

I'm holding off on tube upgrades because my landlord has a bunch of tubes in his dad's garage. I'm going to wait and see what we find...if I can ever get him to actually get over there to look.

muchxs
October 6th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Single 6L6 = Great idea.

Everything else = Bad ideas.

6L6... the solution to new 6V6s that don't last. :roll:

teleamp
October 7th, 2013, 08:24 PM

What was the name of the hospital in the show Emergency?

Alamo
October 7th, 2013, 08:37 PM
What was the name of the hospital in the show Emergency?

Apparently 'Rampart General Hospital'
http://www.seeing-stars.com/imagepages/emergencyhospitalphoto.shtml

:confused:

then there's the Rampart scandal...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampart_scandal

:confused::confused:

maybe I shouldn't have asked and just take the name as an amp's name.
because i can't make head nor tail of it

TheRumRunner
October 9th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Sounds like poop....so I cleaned the wax out of my ears, then it sounded like dodo...

55fYxmAldLw

DW

tjnugent
October 9th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Most of the sound is the cheap speaker. I can hear it crapping out... With a good speaker in it, it would sound a lot better.

TJ

bendingtens
October 9th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Looks like a cool amp. But I hate lines like this, because it doesn't mean anything:

"Juice your tone with a boutiquey vibe."

Billm
October 9th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Looks like another candidate for a tone control. :smile:

The sustain tone is kind of nice; the crunch tone on the fat strings is kind of ugly. As TJ says, a better speaker might cure that. Fortunately, they're plentiful in 12 inch size. But it might also be a fatal amount of sag and resulting hard breakup. Or grid blocking.

I'm not strongly impelled to get this one under the microscope, though. It's not speaking to me tone-wise or feature-wise.

Wyzsard
October 10th, 2013, 01:04 AM
I think it sounds great. As the demo progressed, it seemed they dialed in decent tones with their guitar controls. Just like the Excelsior, it's got it's own sound.

ruger9
October 17th, 2013, 02:20 PM
The first ACTUAL OWNER review is in, and it's not good: taken from the Gretsch Discussion Pages...

"OK ,mine (or better the one I´ve ordered) came in today and that are the facts.

Right out of the Box it looks a little more middle brown than creamy yellow. Into the wallsocket an turned on. Taraaa!!!
A big fat hum is turning out. Is in the range of my ´57 -6161 Gretsch Amp,before Michiel has fixed it. That sucks!!!
I´ve tried to change the tubes, but whaaaaaat, you have to remove the whole backpanel ,where the cage is included. Very good idea Fender .After all that ,the hum is still there. Put them original back and listened to the sound......... Way too muddy for a 12" Speaker. And if you think ,that the Excelsior is ratteling: Holy Cow this little thing rattles for 5 Exys and like a tambourine and there is always a farting zizzeling in the tone,also the tube began to feedback,even when you turn down the volume.
The result is: I´m glad ,to have the chance to ship it back and that what I´ll do.
But I feel a little bit fooled by the Promo Vids. Fender if you try to loose customers,that´s the best way"

brbadg
October 17th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Nice spelling.
I'll wait for another review.
Geez ,I could hardly tell what he was talking about.

ruger9
October 17th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Nice spelling.
I'll wait for another review.
Geez ,I could hardly tell what he was talking about.

Give him a break, he's in/from another country...english is his 2nd language.

jipp
October 17th, 2013, 02:50 PM
thanks for the feed back. guess ill save for a vox ac15c1, 5e3 or one of munchx. i like how the all sounds ( the vox may favor the semi hollow tho ). not sure which one would sound best with a semi hollow Sheraton II tho. well ill be saving for a while.. so the EX will do just fine for now. and sounds good too.
chris,

BigDaddyLH
October 17th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Try before you buy is always a good idea. This could have just been a lemon.

TNO
October 17th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Why can't they make something like a Pro Sr? Volume, tone and maybe master.

Wyzsard
October 17th, 2013, 03:38 PM
he says he's fooled by "promo vids" (plural)

where can one find such ?

ruger9
October 17th, 2013, 03:51 PM
he says he's fooled by "promo vids" (plural)

where can one find such ?

Sweetwater has one up, as does Andertons. The Andertons one is on youtube, I assume the Sweetwater one is on Sweetwater's Ramparte page.

In the Sweetwater demo the Ramparte sounds awfully similar to the brown Excelsior in the offical Fender Excelsior demo (the pawn shop guy playing blues video)

Wyzsard
October 17th, 2013, 04:00 PM
ok, Sweetwater has this one

AIhqy1my-_M

jipp
October 17th, 2013, 04:08 PM
i like the cool channel. the hot channel sounded to squashed? would a compressor help this? just trying to imagine what a semi/hollow body would sound like through the cool channel.
chris.

looking for a warm jazzy sounding amp. for future reference as im broke now. story of my life.

blowtorch
October 17th, 2013, 04:09 PM
pass

Wyzsard
October 17th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Sweetwater has one up, as does Andertons. The Andertons one is on youtube, I assume the Sweetwater one is on Sweetwater's Ramparte page.

In the Sweetwater demo the Ramparte sounds awfully similar to the brown Excelsior in the offical Fender Excelsior demo (the pawn shop guy playing blues video)

Yea I found it as you were posting.

I don't know about that guy who reviewed his though. He insists the hum is still there in the post you quoted, and rants about rattles, then down the page he posts again and says "Even when the buzz,hum and ratteling was gone ,I´ve send it back".

I'll just have to wait until a local dealer gets them in and hear one in person.

Wyzsard
October 17th, 2013, 04:41 PM
i like the cool channel. the hot channel sounded to squashed? would a compressor help this? just trying to imagine what a semi/hollow body would sound like through the cool channel.
chris.

looking for a warm jazzy sounding amp. for future reference as im broke now. story of my life.

Get an Excelsior and put a 12AU7 in the V1 spot.

Riffraff12571
October 17th, 2013, 04:59 PM
I like what Fender is trying to do. I'm sure they will have a lot of bugs to work out after the first batch. You would think that would have been done before they went to market but it doesn't quite work that way when you are producing them in the places they are building these. I've seen that first hand with one of my large industrial customers. What is even more depressing is once my customer moved manufacturing back into the States they had even bigger problems. Anyway, I dig the vibe of these amps. I've been onto the budget grab & go amps from the '60s for a few years now. They have a cool bluesy vibe to them.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww70/2266vm/Orpheumside2_zps621c781c.jpg (http://s706.photobucket.com/user/2266vm/media/Orpheumside2_zps621c781c.jpg.html)

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww70/2266vm/Orpheumrear_zpse1062294.jpg (http://s706.photobucket.com/user/2266vm/media/Orpheumrear_zpse1062294.jpg.html)

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww70/2266vm/Livingroomamp.jpg (http://s706.photobucket.com/user/2266vm/media/Livingroomamp.jpg.html)

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww70/2266vm/DSCN3975.jpg (http://s706.photobucket.com/user/2266vm/media/DSCN3975.jpg.html)

jipp
October 17th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Get an Excelsior and put a 12AU7 in the V1 spot.

i have one iv not done any mods to and using the stock speaker which sounds great now its broken in. has the original tubes too. ( i do have enough cash for a tube upgrade )just stock with original tubes, ill buy the tube you recommend and see how it sounds with my Sheraton II.

chris.

one question, does it matter if it has long plates or short. thanks

jipp
October 17th, 2013, 06:25 PM
I like what Fender is trying to do. I'm sure they will have a lot of bugs to work out after the first batch. You would think that would have been done before they went to market but it doesn't quite work that way when you are producing them in the places they are building these. I've seen that forst hand with one of my large industrial customers. What is even more depressing is once my customer moved manufacturing back into the States they had even bigger problems. Anyway, I dig the vibe of these amps. I've been onto the budget grab & go amps from the '60s for a few years now. They have a cool bluesy vibe to them.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww70/2266vm/Orpheumside2_zps621c781c.jpg (http://s706.photobucket.com/user/2266vm/media/Orpheumside2_zps621c781c.jpg.html)

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww70/2266vm/Orpheumrear_zpse1062294.jpg (http://s706.photobucket.com/user/2266vm/media/Orpheumrear_zpse1062294.jpg.html)

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww70/2266vm/Livingroomamp.jpg (http://s706.photobucket.com/user/2266vm/media/Livingroomamp.jpg.html)

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww70/2266vm/DSCN3975.jpg (http://s706.photobucket.com/user/2266vm/media/DSCN3975.jpg.html)

sorry to bug you, but your webber mini how do you like it? you see i have several amps that all have different ohms. it would be nice to have one cab to use them all with. i see can switch what ohm you want. would this be ideal? thanks.
chris.

Riffraff12571
October 17th, 2013, 08:29 PM
sorry to bug you, but your webber mini how do you like it? you see i have several amps that all have different ohms. it would be nice to have one cab to use them all with. i see can switch what ohm you want. would this be ideal? thanks.
chris.

I like it a lot. It doesn't step on my tone nearly as much as my Hot Plate I used with my Marshalls did. It's not as substantial as the HP but the HP is a tank. The Weber is built just fine and is an outstanding value. The selectable impedance is the reason why I bought it. My HP doesn't have that so I was forced to buy another when I needed to use one with an amp with a 4 ohm or 8 ohm output. The the line out is really nice for reamping little amps like this to make them more than they are on there own. That was something I loved on my HP and was a must for me. I actually use mine more for that then knocking volume down. It's a cool way to take a small little amp and make it gig worthy. The trebble boost switch does a great job of putting back what attenuating does to your tone. I bought mine with the foot switchable bypass option too so I can use it as a lead boost. When you are out of headroom with little amps like this boost pedals just add more gain. In those situations volume cut & bypass is the solution. You attenuate a little for rhythm and stomp on the bypass for leads. It's a great little tool with a small price tag. My Hot Plate cost me almost 3 time more than my Minimass 50.

jipp
October 18th, 2013, 12:57 AM
I like it a lot. It doesn't step on my tone nearly as much as my Hot Plate I used with my Marshalls did. It's not as substantial as the HP but the HP is a tank. The Weber is built just fine and is an outstanding value. The selectable impedance is the reason why I bought it. My HP doesn't have that so I was forced to buy another when I needed to use one with an amp with a 4 ohm or 8 ohm output. The the line out is really nice for reamping little amps like this to make them more than they are on there own. That was something I loved on my HP and was a must for me. I actually use mine more for that then knocking volume down. It's a cool way to take a small little amp and make it gig worthy. The trebble boost switch does a great job of putting back what attenuating does to your tone. I bought mine with the foot switchable bypass option too so I can use it as a lead boost. When you are out of headroom with little amps like this boost pedals just add more gain. In those situations volume cut & bypass is the solution. You attenuate a little for rhythm and stomp on the bypass for leads. It's a great little tool with a small price tag. My Hot Plate cost me almost 3 time more than my Minimass 50.

thank you, it solves all the problems i have had with small watt amps with different ohm. for what you get not a bad price. will get the foot switch option too when i get mine. i do not see my self ever needed more than 50wat. im just a disabled guy using the guitar to help get through the day and ignoring the chronic pain the best i can. keep the mind busy less time to reflect on my crappy life.. i wish i had a teacher. but hey im having fun. rock on. chris.

Wyzsard
October 18th, 2013, 01:41 AM
i have one iv not done any mods to and using the stock speaker which sounds great now its broken in. has the original tubes too. ( i do have enough cash for a tube upgrade )just stock with original tubes, ill buy the tube you recommend and see how it sounds with my Sheraton II.

chris.

one question, does it matter if it has long plates or short. thanks

Sellers tout long plates as better, but I can't say. Perhaps someone who has compared them may chime in.

ruger9
October 18th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Sellers tout long plates as better, but I can't say. Perhaps someone who has compared them may chime in.

Everyone seems to love that Sovtek LPS.... but I don't hear it. I mean, it's a fine tube, but I hear no reason to prefer it over any other good 12AX7. AND... you have to be careful not to use it in cathode followers, as it could fail and damage the amp.

marshman
October 18th, 2013, 08:26 AM
I've also 'heard' (in the internet, so it must be true) the long plates ar more susecptible (sp?) to microphonics, which is a bad thing to be in a tube combo guitar amp. That might just be some scuttlebutt started by the audiophiles to keep us guitar players away from their beloved Telefunkens.

PumpJockey
October 18th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Sounds like the Excelsior did when I first got my brown one: muddy, boxy although in my case not rattly.

I am not a fan of the Fender "Special Design" speakers broken in or otherwise. Put an Eminence in there (as Fender eventually did) and you are half way there. The rest is the tone mod, better tubes and a 12au7 in V1. (And I still use an EQ.)

I am going to guess a similar story will evolve for the Ramparte: mods, speaker upgrades and various tricks. Wait for the used ones to start proliferating and then mod away to your heart's content.

Not me, though, I have a Much Morpheus on order from muchxs and that will be a low-powered bar gig-volumed amp that I will not have to mod, tra la.

Wyzsard
October 18th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Everyone seems to love that Sovtek LPS.... but I don't hear it. I mean, it's a fine tube, but I hear no reason to prefer it over any other good 12AX7. AND... you have to be careful not to use it in cathode followers, as it could fail and damage the amp.

Good to know.

I've also 'heard' (in the internet, so it must be true) the long plates ar more susecptible (sp?) to microphonics, which is a bad thing to be in a tube combo guitar amp. That might just be some scuttlebutt started by the audiophiles to keep us guitar players away from their beloved Telefunkens.

Ha, the price keeps me away.

Bikersluggo
October 31st, 2013, 10:16 PM
There's a new video up on Fender's site. It sounds better than the Sweetwater or Anderton's video but it could just be better production. The voice-over is entertaining...

http://www.fender.com/series/pawn-shop-special/

Alamo
November 1st, 2013, 03:45 PM
:confused: Strange that they used the old Austrian Coat of Arms as a bagde and call it

"And that regally Byzantine double-headed eagle logo badge is just too cool. "

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:State_coats_of_arms_of_the_Empire_of_Aust ria

ruger9
November 1st, 2013, 04:30 PM
Man, I couldn't even watch the whole thing- trying WAY too hard with that one.

Tonally, it's just like the Excelsior- cool clean tones, so-so dirty tones. Garage-y. (not saying that's a bad thing).

I still think the cloth covering is the coolest thing about this amp.

dragonfly66
November 1st, 2013, 10:50 PM
OMG the video for the amp is just goofy and over the top. It doesn't show enough of the amp.

I looked at the covering in the Fender photos which gets you really close and it doesn't look that great on the corners. The black plastic (?) spacers on the top and the bottom don't look all the good either. The covering will likely hold up better than the thin covering on the Excelsior, but what happens when it gets dirty?

Cool idea, 6L6 with 12" though. Is it really two channels or two inputs?

harleysr
November 2nd, 2013, 05:15 PM
There's a new video up on Fender's site. It sounds better than the Sweetwater or Anderton's video but it could just be better production. The voice-over is entertaining...

http://www.fender.com/series/pawn-shop-special/

That cheesy, (clearly) fake attempt at the Oxford accent made it impossible for me to listen to more than the brief sections where only the amp was audible. Whoever wrote the copy and produced that should be sacked. Normally, I wouldn't bother to comment, but this was over the top. What were they thinking?

As for the amp itself, the sound is decent, albeit nothing special.

figaro
November 2nd, 2013, 09:26 PM
Stupid video but the amp sounded good. Can't wait to try one with an A-B footswitch.

Jared Purdy
November 3rd, 2013, 10:08 AM
Hmmm....

Just two volume controls, one for each channel. I am sure it will sound wonderful, but I am saving my nickels for a Ceriatone.

Having played one on Friday, I'd say that you're definitely going to be better off with the Ceriatone. I was completely underwhelmed by the Rampart. Not my cup of tea at all. It's going to need a lot of pedals!

ruger9
November 3rd, 2013, 11:23 AM
Having played one on Friday, I'd say that you're definitely going to be better off with the Ceriatone. I was completely underwhelmed by the Rampart. Not my cup of tea at all. It's going to need a lot of pedals!

Just as I suspected, having extensive experience with other Fender "cheapies". And I know the amps you've had over the years, Jared, and respect your opinion highly. You still got that Swart Master?

Jared Purdy
November 3rd, 2013, 12:41 PM
Respect, Ruger9! Thanks, that's high praise man. Yes, I still have the Swart, and loving it. Every now and again I'll get an itch and go try something else, and so far, knock on wood, I keep coming back to the Swart as a tone that inspires me. It's got that 5E3 and Brown face thing going on, both tones that I love.

Personally, as far as inexpensive amps go, I much prefer the sound of the Blues Junior over the Rampart. I don't know, a single 6L6 in an amp like that? Warm is a word that I would most definitely NOT use to describe it. And Fender took a page out of PRS amp book with that cover!

TheRumRunner
November 3rd, 2013, 07:47 PM
Once again some of the legions of TDPRI prove they lack a funny bone.

DW

MadJack
November 4th, 2013, 03:10 PM
I've yet to see any inexpensive tube amps that don't need some sort of help. Usually tubes and/or speaker(s). Even at $399, I would classify this as an inexpensive amp. Even many mid-range amps need these to make them just right. YMMV.

Stigroadie
December 3rd, 2013, 10:58 PM
So, who got one and what have you done to it?

ruger9
December 4th, 2013, 07:28 AM
So far, this amp has gotten a MUCH colder response than the Excelsior did...

BBill64
December 4th, 2013, 07:42 AM
I'd like to try one out and see how it sounds, but they're so damned ugly. I'll see if they've got one in the shop when I'm next in town (which I doubt, new gear tends to take its time getting to the shop floors over here).

Stigroadie
December 4th, 2013, 03:06 PM
I got one and I like it.
I like the looks, fits in with the bedroom decor.
The good sounds are achieved at levels beyond bedroom.
I'm going to play with a couple of spare speakers I have to see how they change the sound.

nosuch
December 8th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Hi folks, I could use a small, inexpensive 12"-speaker combo under 10 kg with an easy control layout. But I wonder how loud can it get - fender blues jr. and pro juniors to me are just loud enough for the small gigs. how does the ramparts compare?

Wyzsard
December 8th, 2013, 06:19 AM
I got one and I like it.
I like the looks, fits in with the bedroom decor.
The good sounds are achieved at levels beyond bedroom.
I'm going to play with a couple of spare speakers I have to see how they change the sound.

cool, let us know

wrathfuldeity
December 8th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I tried one the other day just out of curiosity because of having a 50s' single-ended class a 6L6...with basically two channels mic and phono that are interactive, treble cut tone knob. The Rampoo was underwhelming to say the least...it sounded lifeless, flat and muddy. The old bogen recordplayer...when found was stock and sounded better with the old pm small alnico 12" and when the caps, filters and slight voicing mod was done....with or without a spkr upgrade blows the Rampoo out of the water to far distant seas. :lol::lol::lol:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-gS6xvUGtCzU/SqWsu485psI/AAAAAAAABrQ/CGZjZLu_56c/s640/bogen%2520tube%2520shot.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5PZuPHQktdM/SzQJdQJM89I/AAAAAAAABrQ/qEcvZ6P_Wds/s640/IMG_2121.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-lJVmTWw92Fo/Son_EqeyN-I/AAAAAAAABrQ/gD2AmN7zg3Y/s640/bogen%2520lid%2520jensen%2520speaker.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9oJtbs8gDJc/TIWTIimpjcI/AAAAAAAABrQ/o2xxJnXNElk/s800/IMG_3223.JPG

Jared Purdy
December 8th, 2013, 05:21 PM
I tried one the other day just out of curiosity because of having a 50s' single-ended class a 6L6...with basically two channels mic and phono that are interactive, treble cut tone knob. The Rampoo was underwhelming to say the least...it sounded lifeless, flat and muddy. The old bogen recordplayer...when found was stock and sounded better with the old pm small alnico 12" and when the caps, filters and slight voicing mod was done....with or without a spkr upgrade blows the Rampoo out of the water to far distant seas. :lol::lol::lol:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-gS6xvUGtCzU/SqWsu485psI/AAAAAAAABrQ/CGZjZLu_56c/s640/bogen%2520tube%2520shot.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5PZuPHQktdM/SzQJdQJM89I/AAAAAAAABrQ/qEcvZ6P_Wds/s640/IMG_2121.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-lJVmTWw92Fo/Son_EqeyN-I/AAAAAAAABrQ/gD2AmN7zg3Y/s640/bogen%2520lid%2520jensen%2520speaker.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9oJtbs8gDJc/TIWTIimpjcI/AAAAAAAABrQ/o2xxJnXNElk/s800/IMG_3223.JPG

Cool!! Ya, the Rampart is nothing but cosmetics, and even in that department it's a flop (and a rip-off from Paul Reed Smith Custom).

jipp
December 8th, 2013, 08:38 PM
not sure how its a rip off iv seen older amps that had the same cosmetics. noting is really new. i do agree and think this amp sounds poor. cheers.
chris

bluescube
December 9th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Sounds better in this video, the Sweetwater one sounded like poo in a bee hive of buzz

0pmKEpyuFOE